Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water in window track

OK, can you tell it has been some time since we used the coach??

Been in rain for past two days and noticed water standing in bottom of toilet room window track. Also noted some softness in wall just below window so will be pulling the window when we get to a dry place. I pulled the rubber out of the track and I see no way for water to drain out to the weep holes. I cannot see any drain holes on the inside. I made sure the weep holes are clean but when I push a wire into the weep holes, It does not appear in the track.

Any ideas? Do I need to drill some holes?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2015, 02:34 PM   #2

Dave Root has done all of my windows and the large DS window would have a lot of water standing in it below the drains so he did drill a new hole at the bottom, now I have 0 water in the track.
Do you have a can of (air in a can) and blow air in the weep hole to see if in comes to the outside, just a thought.
2 stroker
OK I went out and looked at mine and there are weep holes in the track, the one I can see is on the screen side by opening the window and moving the screen to the side.

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
The rubber track does have a rectangular weep hole but when I pull that rubber out, there is no hole in the aluminum frame communicating with the weep holes on the exterior frame.... at least not that I can find.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:01 PM   #4

I would try the air in a can or air compressor line off the coach.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:09 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I started a thread about having water in the electrical compartment under the driver. From what I can see it's coming in the sliding window and pooling in the window track, then overflowing down the inside of the outside wall and into the compartment. In fact we've set a new record for rain fall and the compartment is still dry. It appears to leak only when the MH's nose is down a couple inches from level. Even bought one of the inspection camera's and didn't really find much other than the water in the channel. No soft spots, no wet wood, nothing inside that I could find.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Update: After pulling the internal compassion ring, I was able to inspect the wall structure and see more of the window structure. What I found is confusing. The four weep holes (rectangular holes in the exterior frame) only drain the outer window channel. There is no communication between the outer channel and the inner channel into which the slider sits. Water that gets into the inner channel just sits there or finally seeps down into the wall below the window. I did drill a small hole thru the side of the inner channel near the weep holes and it will drain. Not sure why the windows are made that way unless they thought water would never make its way into the inner channel.

These are Se Gi windows. It looks like the window leaks between the slider and the stationary glass panel, allowing water to flood the inner channel. It looks like the prior owner did some caulking on the inside of the window so suspect this has always been an issue. I plan to call the folks in Elkhart tomorrow and check the cost of a new window.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #7

Thanks Gary - Good detective work.

It will be interesting to hear why they are designed that way.

Smitty
Old 01-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Turns out that is small issue compared to another I just discovered. See my latest post about the shower skylight
Old 01-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #9

The SiGi windows are a real POC. The company will not sell to individuals so you have t go through a repair facility. The window will be expensive and you will get the same problem you have now.

Save your $$ and come up with your own solution.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #10
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
If I'm understanding your dilemma, Get yourself a Dremmel tool with side cutting bit that will fit into the track. Cut yours some 1" slots in the track rail close to the bottom separating inner track from the outer one. This should solve the water issue and save you replacing the window.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #11

I had water build up on the inside frame of a non opening window in my old hurricane and could not fathom how it got there. Found two things .... condensation from the single plane windows would ultimately drip down the window into the track/frame, and after a while, noticed soft walls under the window. Second, the glass was not sealed properly at the top, and when I would wash the MH and sprayed the window water would get in and accumulate.

I do not remember having any weep holes on any inside tracks and am not sure they plan for water from the inside needing to get outside. I would think the weep holes are there to make sure rain water has someplace to go.

If you drill a hole from the inside track to the outside, be prepared for water going the other way....

Unless I've misread the problem.

And just as an aside, if both your problems end up being from condensation, you might want to invest in a dehumidifier.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, window