Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #1

Water leaking around the driver front window

This probably a question asked before but this is the first water leak I've dealt with.

2002 Allure 36'

When I bought the coach I knew it had a few issues...this being one of them but the price was too good to pass up (famous last words).

There is a leak that appears to be either somewhere between the front windshield and drivers window. The plywood behind the wallpaper is deformed. I thought the leak would be easy enough to fix, but the re-sealing of the front windscreen and around the window hasn't helped any.
has anyone seen this on an allure?

is there a procedure that an rv repair shop can do to fix the issue?

sell the coach knowing the issue with full disclosure?

I use the coach 6 or 7 weekends a year with it sitting most of the other times...
a johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the '07 Allure and recently had four windows, including the driver's window, removed for fogged glass repair. It was obvious that there had been some water intrusion around the driver's window. The metal frame above the window and along the edge near the windshield had some rust and there was some darkening of the wood in the lower front corner. It did not appear that I had any delamination at this point.

The folks at RV Fog Doctor told me they see this often with the CC driver's window. They treated the rust with some Rust Mort and sealed around the window when it was reinstalled.

I plan to have Kevin Waite take a look at it soon to see if there is a fix. I would like to have the metal rust treated a bit more thoroughly than what I saw them do at RV Fog Doctor.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #3

Perhaps migrating from clearance lights?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #4

Here is a method that has been successful in finding leaks Seal Tech Rainwater Leak Test

There are a number of businesses that do it, just have to find one near you. You could also make up the same type of hardware with a leaf blower
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Perhaps migrating from clearance lights?

I plan to check my clearance lights again but when last up there, they seemed to be caulked well. The item most close to that window is the driver side Hadley horn but a thorough check of mine shows them still well sealed.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:55 PM   #6

Water leaks are hard to track down. We're still trying to find a small leak, that drips 2-4 drops on our dash, just to the right of the windshield middle seam. We did the visual, recalled the cap lights, and the seam of the small door awning. Still leaked. Paid for the positive air test leak - nothing concrete found.

We did have the front windshield resealed, just in case.

I also replaced the AC gasket on the front unit, but don't think that was it.

Water leaks can travel, so look all over the top front half of the coach.

The positive pressure leak test may work for you, worth a shot.

Best of luck, and please let us know what you find out.
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Water leaks are hard to track down. We're still trying to find a small leak, that drips 2-4 drops on our dash, just to the right of the windshield middle seam. We did the visual, recalled the cap lights, and the seam of the small door awning. Still leaked. Paid for the positive air test leak - nothing concrete found.

We did have the front windshield resealed, just in case.

I also replaced the AC gasket on the front unit, but don't think that was it.

Water leaks can travel, so look all over the top front half of the coach.

The positive pressure leak test may work for you, worth a shot.

Best of luck, and please let us know what you find out.
Smitty
Did you have a windshield glass shop do the glass re-seal? Mine looks well sealed but, as you stated, water has a way of finding any tiny place to get in.

I am hoping Kevin will have some ideas from his experience with our coaches.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #8

After I did what you did, visual inspection of the normal areas. Including removing and recalking all the marker lights 'just to be sure', I then had the RV shop I use do the Positive Air Flow Leak Test. (I use Temeculla Valley RV.) Again, no real positive results with this. The owner and service tech both said they have about a 65-75% success rate with this test finding leaks. Makes sense, as small inside pressure could actually 'seal' the leaking area.

Again, I did go ahead and have them replace the front AC units gasket. (As part of a Buskote roof application.) I had already cleaned and recalked the attachment point of the over the door awning. It's just high enough above where the drip was, and I could see small gaps where it attached to the side, that I was very hopeful this would take care of it.

The next time I had the rig back to the repair shop, in prepartion for a trip to Alaska, I asked them to have their glass shop come and reseal the windshield. So, yes to a glass dude doing the reseal.

I have no signs of any problems in the walls, these few drops, were coming in off of the plastic trim that covers the top of the windshield. Always within 1-2" to the right of the split screens seam. Could have come in from the windscreen gasket. Could have come in from somewhere else and worked forward. In fact, I can only remember it leaking once while parked in the rain, and that was with a slight forward slant of the coach due to a hard to level spot. Most other times, it would be after we took off and had drove just a bit, getting a few stops in. I felt the stopping, was forcing the water to flow forward from the ceiling areas. I even pulled out the right side 6 1/2 ceiling speaker, to see if I could detect any moisture in this area. And yeah, I did check my air horns well too!

I met one gent in a Beaver, that had had a similar small leak for 6 years. He figured he had spent at least 80 hours of his time looking for the leak. And close to $1K on labor at various places over those 6 years. Still has the small drips coming in from time to time.

One last final tip. Temeculla Valley RV said they had a coach in with the same kind of roof drains we have for our roof AC's. They said they had found the drain line hose from the catch pan, thru the ceiling and down to where it dripped out, had been nicked when installed. It had a small leak as the AC unit dripped. The owner had spent about 5 months in Alabama, and AC's were on almost non stop during some of this time... It was the owner that determined he was seeing more leaking, without rain, during this trip. And he authorized the cost of tracking down that line to see what they could find.

Best of luck, and please share back our final findings,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #9

does a standard glass shop do RV's...or anyone have any recommendations for an RV glass repair shop in the Indianpolis Area?
a johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #10

i had this and it was the drive side mirror the under side water hold on the mirror that lets water out was plug up

make sure this is not whats going on
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #11

I have a 2002 Intrigue 36'. We have had the problem in the past. When your coach was assembled there was suppose to be a piece of foam placed up there to keep the window from flexing. I have found that if you push out on the seal in the center of the window at the top you will feel it move out. This seems to take care of the problem for awhile. Also it helps to stay out of the rain. I would recommend a call to Oregon Motor Coach and talk to them about the problem. They may have a solution for you. If you get out that way they can probably help you out. Good Luck
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, leak, water, water leak, window