Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2017, 09:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
John:

That just looks too small and simple to do an ample amount of filtering.
This would sure take less space then out Double Size On the Go! Have you tested the hardness after filtration with a hardness strip?

Will do some more surfing on this, but curious what level of hardness you're seeing after treatment.

TIA,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2017, 05:16 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, I'm a bit skeptical too. The little gadget would surely be less trouble to maintain and take up less space. Like Smitty, I'd be curious about the science that supports how it works.

If I read their website correctly, testing the water with hardness strips would not show a reduction in hardness since the device 'converts' the calcium to another form of calcium which would fool the strip.

My best test for when my softener needs to be recharged is when I shower. I can tell pretty quickly by the feel of the water if it is time. Can you 'feel' the difference when you use the device?
Old 01-30-2017, 05:32 AM   #17

Skeptical!!!!!!!! Being from the water treatment business for 20 years I competed against this kind of things all the time. All I can say is if they work why would all the people in the areas that had really hard water not switch to something that has no maintence cost. All these people especially people in commercial applications are not stupid. Old saying, if it sounds to good to be true it usually is.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:03 PM   #18

Hi,just talk to Brad of filter water direct.com .The psc1 is the best unit for rv 495.He said they work great,just clean out 6 months.Has anyone bought one of these if so how well do they work.Thanks Charles 2kmagna
driveit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:40 AM   #19

Smitty,is the fipb a water softener or a filter. How well does it work with hard water,and how often do you have to change filter,how much for new filter.Thanks Charles 2k magna5886
driveit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:04 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by driveit55 View Post
Hi,just talk to Brad of filter water direct.com .The psc1 is the best unit for rv 495.He said they work great,just clean out 6 months.Has anyone bought one of these if so how well do they work.Thanks Charles 2kmagna
I have spent some time reading what I can find related to electromagnetic and other non salt softeners and the science doesn't seem to support these non salt device's.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveit55 View Post
Smitty,is the fipb a water softener or a filter. How well does it work with hard water,and how often do you have to change filter,how much for new filter.Thanks Charles 2k magna5886
Hi Charles - Here is high level outline of our normal water supply:

> At the bib, we hook up the pressure regulator. 263A Stainless Steel.

> We come out with a 30' Grey hose, with SS couplings.

> This connects to the simple inline Camco hose water filter, which is directly connected to the In Port of our On The Go Double Water Softener. I place the On The Go under the large drivers side slide, to provide as much shade as possible.

> On The Go out to a 6' Grey hose, with SS couplings. This runs up thru the plumbing bay, and connects to a 18" Grey hose, with standard couplings, that I keep permanently attached to our coaches water inlet location.

Note: I did pay extra for the SS couplings, but the brass ones are of good quality, and I believe I would have been just as well served by these.

> Any water going into the couches systems, shore or from tank is softened (In areas that require this, which not all areas do.).

> Any water going downstream to the faucets/shower/ice maker (Not being used at this time.), is filtered by the full house cartridge via the F1Pb cartridge filter. (Located under below links "Cartridges for Standard Canisters".)

> Under the kitchen sink, we installed a second standard 10" house canister with drinking water faucet. In this canister we run with D-UC Ceramic Ultracarb filter. It has enhanced filtration then the already good F1Pb filter. (You will find this under Specialty Cartridges.)

> Though we've reverted to our ice trays from the penance filtration for our ice. Our Samsung RF18 fridge does have the auto ice cubes. We do have a an inline carbon filter on the water line to the ice maker. I have the water supply turned off, as the ice maker is off. So have not replaced that filter in two years. (Upon thinking about it, I should remove it. Each year, now twice since the Samsung install, I treat the water systems in the coach. I did disconnect that filter, turn on the water supply, and run chlorinated water thru the fridge water line. But I think by removing the water filter completely, and draining the small line that goes to the actual ice maker, it would avoid that small line from getting fouled up. If we ever start using the ice maker again, will again treat the full flow to the ice maker with chlorinated treatment then.)

>The rest F1Pb is replaced yearly. I again clean the D-UC filter cartridge every four months. I replace the Camco inline hose filter about every 6 months.

====

I will note that to some, this is overkill, and I probably would be fine with only the Camco inline and F1Pb full house filter. The D-UC does taste better, in comparison blind testing between my wife and I. (I tested her, and then she tested me - and we both picked the kitchen water faucet as the best tasting water to us. And the ice cubes are great!!).

And to others, this does not go far enough. Reverse osmosis, UV Lights, etc., are the the next step up in the filtration came. Many of the posters over under RV Systems, have had problems with sickness from bad water supply. I understand them going the next step to the UV treatment. But for now, I feel our filters are a reasonable balance. And of course, when in doubt, we just run off the tank...

I have found good products, and outstanding customer support, at the RV Water Filter Store (As have many other RV'er's too.). Not the cheapest, but due to the customer support and guidance I've received over the years - I see it as an overall good value, and gladly pay the extra percentages for components.

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:08 AM   #22

Late to the party

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
Skeptical!!!!!!!! Being from the water treatment business for 20 years I competed against this kind of things all the time. All I can say is if they work why would all the people in the areas that had really hard water not switch to something that has no maintence cost. All these people especially people in commercial applications are not stupid. Old saying, if it sounds to good to be true it usually is.
We also do plumbing and I've removed more than one of the "can't test the hardness with normal test kits/strips" type units. There is only one reason they disclaim this, because the units don't work! Why in the world would there be a strong and growing market for salt-type water softeners if you could solve the hard water problems so easily?!! We have extremely hard water in our home and I'd own a dozen if they could solve it, but they simply are a scam. I tried to warn a customer building a new house, but he decided to take the chance, then called me a year later for a softener, and he laughed saying, "I should have listened to you, my wife, and my own common sense, haha".
We are getting ready to buy a water softener for one of our own rigs, but I may see if I can substitute a turbulating distributor tube for the standard one, so that we can leave the unit permanently mounted and not worry about compacting the resin. I wonder if anyone has done this.
christyhicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water