Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #1

Water Won't Get Hot

So we're camping, and all of a sudden today, the water won't get hot.
We've been using electric water heater, it's warming up the water to luke warm (even if we wait 30mins), still just luke warm. It's been working all week long.

The LP heater won't ignite. Sparks, but not gas seems to come out. (We do have gas 7/8 full, stove and grill work wine.)

Any advice/suggestions would be helpful.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #2

LP will heat faster than electric. Seems to me electric takes a few hours. LP should take about 45 minutes.

If its only Luke warm, maybe check your thermostat? When you hit your LP button you should hear it light and run.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
LP will heat faster than electric. Seems to me electric takes a few hours. LP should take about 45 minutes.

If its only Luke warm, maybe check your thermostat? When you hit your LP button you should hear it light and run.
Maybe we need to let it warm up more, but seems like it's taking longer than normal.

On the LP, the problem is I hit the button and it sparks, but no gas. I'm thinking I need to purget the system. Is there a way to do that?
Old 06-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducmons View Post

Maybe we need to let it warm up more, but seems like it's taking longer than normal.

On the LP, the problem is I hit the button and it sparks, but no gas. I'm thinking I need to purget the system. Is there a way to do that?
Try to fire it a couple times. I don't know how to purge lines?

But if your tank is shot, I believe you can still put a hot rod stick in? ( please correct me if I'm wrong ) that would be cheaper than a new tank.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The electric element may be bad, not the tank. The Hott Rod are even slower than the built in element.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The electric element may be bad, not the tank. The Hott Rod are even slower than the built in element.
Yes! Hott rod takes like 2 hours to heat. I have a 6 gallon LP tank and I added the Hott rod. And with the Hott rod the water is much hotter and last longer than LP. When we boondock=shorter showers. Lol
Old 06-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #7

You might have hard water build up impacting the electronic. And spiders/bugs seem to like LP openings. A good cleaning might get the LP flowing.

Best of luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #8

last time this happened to me I had inadvertently left the cold side of the sewer washout faucet on. Since it has a trigger sprayer, there was no running water, but it mixed the hot and cold to the point where the hot was not noticible.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had that happen to two people in the last campground I visited, ONE did not know it cause her water heater was Propane only and she was "Out of gas". but she complained of a leaking outside shower head.. I showed her how to fix it since she was next door to me.

The other had exactly the complaint you cite, Hot water not hot enough.. I interviewed him in the family center, several hundred yards from his RV.. I ask about the outside shower (The hose rinser as one put it above I call it the Dog Shower cause if I had a dog, that would be where he (All dogs are HE by the way, She is technically not a dog since Dog = Male Canine) that is where he'd shower.

Sure enough, HE said "you know, it happened just after I used the outside shower" and the next day "That was it".

Now personally.. I have never had that problem. so all these folks have these forums to thank for the fix to their problems, Yup, I learned from others, and pass it on.

Life's Great.. So long as you avoid LG products .
Old 06-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for the replies. Checked the outside washout area, those are all closed. I'll have to clean out the LP lines for the gas w/h. Haven't used the LP in a year.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
30 minutes to heat is not uncommon on electric, 1 hour (1-2 hours) may be needed.

Tags
water