Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:15 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Weak heatpump

My forward heat pump seems very weak compared to the other two. Even in high 40's mid 50's ambient temps, it never really puts out any warm air.

Frankly, I can't recall if it was also weak as an AC this past summer since we did not use the coach much during that time. Anyone else has this issue and, if so, can these things be reasonably repaired or is it just time to consider replacement. Also, in these coaches with some age, can a new Coleman unit be installed plug and play or are there changes in the new units that require some tweaking of the wiring/controls?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2016, 02:49 PM   #2

I switched from a ducted 1994 Dometic 13.5 Heat Pump/AC to a Dometic 15K Heat Pump/AC this year.

It was essentially plug and play except for the thermostat control and the condensate drip line set up. Not too bad after a 21 year lapse of time.

I think all brands fit the same size hole. Wiring is usually simple, but not straight forward, especially if changing brands.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I switched from a ducted 1994 Dometic 13.5 Heat Pump/AC to a Dometic 15K Heat Pump/AC this year.

It was essentially plug and play except for the thermostat control and the condensate drip line set up. Not too bad after a 21 year lapse of time.

I think all brands fit the same size hole. Wiring is usually simple, but not straight forward, especially if changing brands.
If I need to replace the unit, I would stick to Coleman. I guess I need to touch base with Kevin Waite. Suspect he has done many of these.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #4

I assume you have checked all the routine stuff - dirty filters, plugged condenser coils, voltage to heat strip, digital measurement of air temperature out of the one unit and compared to other units, etc?

Here is an online link to the service manuals for the RVP units on my 07 Allure (9024-876 models). I used it to trouble shoot a faulty run capacitor on my rear unit.

Hope this helps some...

Brian

EDIT: To replace my unit Airxcel recommended the model 47024A876. You can check your specific model here on Airxcel Model Number Change page.
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
I assume you have checked all the routine stuff - dirty filters, plugged condenser coils, voltage to heat strip, digital measurement of air temperature out of the one unit and compared to other units, etc?

Here is an online link to the service manuals for the RVP units on my 07 Allure (9024-876 models). I used it to trouble shoot a faulty run capacitor on my rear unit.

Hope this helps some...

Brian

EDIT: To replace my unit Airxcel recommended the model 47024A876. You can check your specific model here on Airxcel Model Number Change page.

Filters clean, coils clean. I did not think these units have heat strips..... they are true heat pumps. I can hear the compressor kick on I just don't get as much heat out of this unit as the two others on the coach. I will let the mobile tech do further diagnosis.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:03 PM   #6

Get an ir thermometer and check actual temp of air in and out.

Could be low coolant inside but hermetic usually leaks everything so not likely.

It could be a flaky reversing valve that is not fully seating maybe low coil voltage.

The ir thermometer can detect this but it requires pulling cover to look.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:10 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE: We are in Tucson and Cameron's RV Maintenance checked the AC/heat pump and the verdict is it is just done. It neither cools nor heats properly. New March 8 ordered. Thankfully, our extended service plan should cover all but the deductible.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #8

It's been awhile since I researched AC units, we have X's 2 15K Dual Therm Pinguin units. (My problem was solved, by just cleaning the phone jacks that had become pretty moldy looking! On my yearly maintenance cycle now.)

But when I was looking over what was available, I was surprised to see that on some units, the 15K version consumed less electricity then the 13.5K unit while AC modes. Suppose the extra coolant, allows the compressor to not work as hard while cooling(?).

Glad you have yours sorted out, and hope the warranty does cover it for you!

Travel safe,
Smitty
Old 02-29-2016, 07:18 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE: Well we got the new heat pump but not without some drama. The first unit was erroneously shipped via UPS in a flimsy box, was obviously dropped during transit and arrived with the compressor broken away from the base and the evaporator coil damaged.

We had to wait another few days to get a second new unit which was shipped via motor freight on a pallet (came from CA to Tucson). Unit installed by Ken Cameron (would highly recommend him for any RV service).

The new Mach 8 unit is lower profile and comes only with either a white or black shroud. I will paint it to match the other two later. We also notice the newer unit is a bit louder (inside the coach) than the older units. The older units have a lot of galvanized metal in the structure and this new one is pretty much all plastic.

My Cornerstone extended warranty paid for both the new AC and the fuel pump and bearings in my Aqua Hot webasto, less my deductible. Life is good

Tags
heat