Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #15

Tony, the ideal way to weigh the coach is with individual scales under each wheel. That way you not only get axle weight, but also can see if one side of the axles are heavier. Many motorhome meets like FMCA rallies have folks that can do this. Lacking that, CAT scales at truck stops can get axle weights, including front, drive and tag. They are easy to get into, and I have never had to wait to get on the scale. You call the office from the scale, and pay inside. Last time it was $10.00.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #16

Assuming individual wheel weighing isn't available to you, I find it even more convenient to pay for weighing at CAT scales via their smartphone app. With that, no need to go into the office/store where the scale is located and actually no need to even get out of my rig. Here are a couple of videos that I found helpful before my first visit to a CAT scale:

Link 1

Old 03-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #17

Another source for weighing your rig is a closed DOT truck scale. Many states leave the scale readout active even when the scale house is closed.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #18
TTD

Those links were helpful... thank you.

Last question though... I have a tag axle. Am I trying to stop the coach with the dual wheels on one plate and the tax axle on the plate behind it? Which I assume would put the toad on the tag axle plate (if I have one).
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD View Post
Those links were helpful... thank you.

Last question though... I have a tag axle. Am I trying to stop the coach with the dual wheels on one plate and the tax axle on the plate behind it? Which I assume would put the toad on the tag axle plate (if I have one).
Most CAT scales have 3 plates, so you may be able to get your steers on the front plate, drive axle on the 2nd plate, and tag on the 3rd. This thread talks about doing this. You'll probably need to unhook your toad prior to weighing if you want your tag weighed separately.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
When I weighed my rig I made a special trip to the scale (about 20 miles from home), rather than trying to work it in to part of a trip, when I might be in more of a rush to get somewhere. That way, no matter how long it took, I wasn't stressed about it taking too long.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:29 PM   #21
TTD

Thanks all... going to see if one is nearby so I can do it more leisurely... and hopefully I can line it up so my tag is on one plate and the drives on another.
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:44 PM   #22

I use closed truck scales. I just did last week. You have to look around for the gauge. The last one i did had a red digital readout so you drive real slow and you will see the scale go up when the front wheels are on the scale then move forward for each axle They are only looking for axle load so you have to add it up. Toad weight is handy to.
As far as the tag load. you will find a small pressure regulator( mine is located in front of the drive axle passenger side. Cant see unless you crawl under a bit. More pressure takes more load. Remember whatever you take for load may add a percentage to the steer axle.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight