Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2018, 06:48 AM   #1
TTD

Were KONI shocks ever standard?

Just found out I have KONI shocks (at least on the front).

I am wondering if that definitely means the previous owner has changed them? Or is there a possibility that these are still the original shocks?

Thanks,
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2018, 07:11 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Mine came with Koni. Likely yours did the same.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:19 AM   #3

Mine too

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are they gold or red? Mine came with Koni FSD (gold,) and they were too wimpy for the weight. I changed to Koni SP3 and have been pleased.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:17 AM   #5

I am the second owner but I have the build sheet, states it came with Koni. I had them changed think in 2014. Found that I had Monroe installed Koni.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #6

Mine came with the Red Koni shocks.

They are still good at 106,000 miles and 23+ years.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:36 AM   #7
TTD

Thanks all!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:52 AM   #8

Whats the differance between the sp1 and sp3
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine came with Koni all the way around. I've replaced the front with the EVO "99" shocks. The drive axle now have 3 way adjustables due to Commins in Portland destroying them. Tag has the OEM FSD's on it.
The EVO's were an improvement over the adjustables but still could seems a little soft.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #10

I recently installed a pair of Koni EVO 99's on my Inspire and there was a very noticeable improvement in ride smoothness. I do not not feel the expansion joints like before.

Jerry
2005 Country Coach Inspire Quad Slide w/C9-400 Kitty Kat, 2013 Honda CR-V, "RVing since 1968". Escapee #27953, FMCA #12697, Good Sam Life Mbr.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:55 AM   #11
TTD

Guess I'll need to do some research to see what I actually have on the motorhome now... and what's the possible upgrades.

The only time I'd like "more" is when I catch a certain type of road dip or hump... and the coach will porpoise a couple of times before settling. Unfortunately, at 45 feet, not sure that can really go away without making the shock so stiff that it ruins the ride elsewhere?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #12

where are yall ordering from? I am looking to replace mine before the summer is done and would like to have them on hand vs waiting for a shop to source them.
NADROJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADROJ View Post
where are yall ordering from? I am looking to replace mine before the summer is done and would like to have them on hand vs waiting for a shop to source them.
We got our Koni shock replacements at JEG AUTOPARTS 800-345-4545

$383.38 Per Pair Koni 90 1968-P Front Shocks all in, delivered. Not necessarily the best price but it was more a matter of availability. Our original front shocks, Koni # 90 1968SP1, are no longer made. The Koni 90 1968-P replacements were not widely available at the time I was shopping. JEG had them so that's where we bought them.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #14

Also check with:

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Koni...t-Alpine-Front

A summary back ground on shocks for our 04 Allure 40':
-Came OEM with Koni SP1 Adjustable shocks (The same exact shock I had on our F53 18K chassis. To say the front end overwhelmed the shock, as Koni tried to warn National would happen, is a kind statement...)
-Added the Road King 2 1/2" diameter, with Lonnie valving it based upon the CC owner's he'd helped/worked with over the years. I like the control they provide.
-Wanted to see if the then new Koni '99' EVO shocks on the Steers, would still provide the good control I like, and yet possibly softer the transfer of expansion joint, pot holes, etc. They did reduce the transfer somewhat, and did have good control. I felt the Road King 2 1/2" diameters provided a bit better control, with an acceptable slight increase in road harshness transfer. So I had the Road Kings put back on.

Today, Road King has a larger diameter shock, which I was told by SOB owner who had had the 2 1/2" diameter shocks, improved the handling of his coach a bit more while at the same time the new valving reduced the road transfer to driver's/passenger's seat compared to the 2 1/2" Road Kings he'd had for several years. (I'm not going to change mine out.)

If buying today, and wanting the best possible handling shocks, I'd go with the Road King's new larger diameter shocks on the steers. On the rear, I'd run Koni SP3 Adjustable Shocks.

If wanting to save some money, and still get a relatively good handling shock. I'd put the Koni '99' EVO on the Steers, and the SP3 Adjustable in the rear positions.

I still have my pair of '99' EVO's, about 1200 miles of travel on them still sitting in my garage at home! I'd kept them for a gent that had said he was interested, and then he sold his RV! I'll probably put them on Craigslist later this year, to move them onto someone who can use them!

Mike - I missed in October you question about SP1, SP2 & SP3. You've probably already learned that basically each generation of the Adjustable evolution, has been both an increase in diameter, as well as refining valving. The SP3 on the front end of my coach, set on probably the 3 position, would handle the IFS. The SP2 I've heard no first hand reports, it was an Alpine owner with 40' that changed his good handling Peek chassis from SP1 to SP3, and was pleased with the results. He started at level 1, and over 3-4 months, finally decided to keep it on level 3. And note, he was also one of the early adopters of he EVO 99's in the states - and that is what he runs with now. (He did also try thru the years, as I did with my F53 chassis, the Gold FSD's. Which for his front end, were better then the SP1's, but did not provide enough front end control for him, so that is why he had the time with the SP3's.).

Best to all, have fun, stay safe,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koni, shocks