Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #15

this is new to me... thanks for the info. are there any specific model years having this problem? trying to understand where to look at it...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Country Fit, I see that you have a 2000 Intrigue. I don't think that this is an issue for you. I have mostly heard of it being an issue for the Cat engines in the 2003 to 2007 range. I think that your 2000 had a Cummins? and Im told that although there are some Cummins where the dry PTO was a problem, there were fewer affected. (I think mostly Magnas and Affinities from what I read) This is a problem for Cat engines that ran the hydraulic pump for cooling and the power steering pump off of a PTO on the side of the transmission, down close to the engine. I had not heard of the problem until I got on this site and then since I found out I have found that it seems everyone knew about it but me!!

HavasuRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
this is new to me... thanks for the info. are there any specific model years having this problem? trying to understand where to look at it...
CF, those of us with older, more "experienced" coaches with the ISC motor don't have the PTO to worry about.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
CF, those of us with older, more "experienced" coaches with the ISC motor don't have the PTO to worry about.
sounds like a good news to me ... looks like cc started to use it from 03/04.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavasuRed View Post
Country Fit, I see that you have a 2000 Intrigue. I don't think that this is an issue for you. I have mostly heard of it being an issue for the Cat engines in the 2003 to 2007 range. I think that your 2000 had a Cummins? and Im told that although there are some Cummins where the dry PTO was a problem, there were fewer affected. (I think mostly Magnas and Affinities from what I read) This is a problem for Cat engines that ran the hydraulic pump for cooling and the power steering pump off of a PTO on the side of the transmission, down close to the engine. I had not heard of the problem until I got on this site and then since I found out I have found that it seems everyone knew about it but me!!
yes, mine is with cummins. good to know i am not affected . thanks for the info.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #20

This is an issue with Cummins as well. I have a Cummins 400 ISL/Allison in my 2006 Allure and it had a dry PTO.

One note of caution on the wet kit. I bought a 2006 Allure with approx 35,00 miles. The wet kit had not been done on it. I did an inspection first to see what the condition of the spline on the pump was, and found out that it was severely worn and wouldn't last long, even with the wet kit installed. The wear would have just continued and eventually failed (probably at the most inopportune moment as well...).

Here is a picture of what the splines looked like:

You can see the extreme wear. Once the hard face surfacing is worn away from the splines on the gear, the wear will continue, even if lubricated. If your pump splines look at all like this, I wouldn't just put it back in.

I ended up ordering both the wet kit and a new hydraulic pump from JDRV at a cost of about $2400. What started out to be a relatively easy fix turned into a pretty expensive repair. I did the labor myself. It is doable, but quite messy and quite a bit of work.

Good Luck!
Old 09-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #21

Ok I'm the new guy with a 2001 CC Affinity (6004) with a c12 CAT. The coach has 65000 miles. I'm just now learning about the dry/wet pto and I am concerned about what I should be doing about it. My cc manual says that the hydraulic pump is mounted to the engine but the comments I've read indicate that the pto is driven from the transmission. Is there a definitive recall list that specifies what cc coaches were affected? Should I just crawl under and inspect what is there? Any comments would be appreciated. Jim barone full time work camping in Albuquerque
Old 09-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #22

I can tell you that if your coach is affected, don't delay addressing the issue. Mine did fail at an inopportune time and did result in costly repairs (2006 Inspire with Cat C9). Mine failed at the foothills of the Oregon summit hills and curves on I-5, resulting in total loss of power steering. Good thing it didn't last another 10 miles or I would have had some serious issues to contend with. As it was, I wrestled it off the interstate at a nearby exit and called for a tow.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT 525HP engine being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #23

Crawl under and take a look. Should see a tee and two hoses comming from it like this. Mine is a Detriot so just about any engine can have a pto

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #24

I don't believe that anyone builds a side radiator, hydraulic cooling fan coach with a belt driven hydraulic pump. That would be a very unreliable system.

I owned a 2004 Allure and now own a 2003 Magna. Cummins and Cat but neither had the transmission PTO pump. They both have an engine driven PTO for hydraulic pump. It is easily found on the rear facing engine block. You can't miss it as the large Hydraulic hoses connect as you would expect.

I don't believe that CC put a single transmission PTO on before 2004. Many coaches of that year did not have it either. After 2004 all coaches may have had the configuration but I am not certain of that.
gsander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #25

NOWAYOUT,
Where on the Allison does your oil line connect? The guy that is installing mine cannot figure out which plug to pull to attach the supply line.
Jerry
Escapee #27953, FMCA #12697, Good Sam Life Mbr.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #26

This is a four year old thread
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
Old 09-21-2017, 08:58 PM   #27

Ok ...I crawled under the beast today and found that the power steering and fan are driven by pump that is mounted on the engine...there are no pto's on the transmission...really good news...thanks to all for the comments and suggestions...jim barone work camping in Albuquerque and full timing in Country Coach Affinity 2001, CATc12, 6004..thanks again
Old 09-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
NOWAYOUT,
Where on the Allison does your oil line connect? The guy that is installing mine cannot figure out which plug to pull to attach the supply line.
Jerry

Not sure if this helps

2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD