Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hankooks are cheaper, ride just as good or better than Michelins and DON'T sidewall crack in three years.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #16

Only two companies design tires specifically for RVs - Goodyear and Michelin. They also make them here in the US. That said I have had very good luck with tires in that none of the ones I have bought in the last ten years have given me any problems at all. This includes Michelin, Goodyear, BF Goodrich, Firestone, and Dunlop. All of those tires were made in the US except for two Michelins that were made in Spain. And those two Michelins from Spain had slight cracking problems at 5+ years. The Michelins that were made here looked like new when I replaced them at just over six years.

I am still very skeptical of tires made in China. I personally would not buy them no matter how cheap they were. Maybe I would change my mind on that if it were a quality tire maker who built a plant in China like Michelin or Goodyear. I find Chinese made goods that do not have a brand name like Apple on them to be of mixed quality. I am now having to return my second Toshiba laptop battery to Amazon because of poor quality. It is very hard to buy a laptop battery not made in China these days.

I don't like the price on Michelin tires. I just bought two through the FMCA program two weeks ago and the prices are sky high compared to what I could buy Firestones for. 47% above Firestone. I have four drive tires from Firestone that are now 4 1/2 years old. I think they are excellent tires and sold at a very good price. Made here. The company is now owned by Bridgestone. Here in San Diego 12R's from Firestone were $555 each installed and all taxes. Michelin $819 installed all taxes. If I had checked prices more carefully I would have gone to Firestone.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Here in San Diego 12R's from Firestone were $555 each installed and all taxes. Michelin $819 installed all taxes. If I had checked prices more carefully I would have gone to Firestone.
The Michelin price must be regular retail and not the FMCA Advantage price. Last time I looked our 365/70's were around $600.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think you better look again about Michelins not being made in china.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #19

Hankook In Tennessee Hankook Tire picks Nashville for North American headquarters
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:03 PM   #20

A lot of coaches before 2010 need to have a higher load caring capacity front tire and the 315-80 L can care up to 9K per side and if they will fit a good choice. As stated the FMCA Michelin program should be also looked at.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #21

Just replaced 10 year old Goodyear G670's (serious rivering/cupping problem) with a set of Toyo M177's. I went with the M177 for their higher payload capacity for the same size tire.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #22

Mr D, Current FMCA price is 665 on Michelin 295's. 12R's are about 10 bucks more. The 819 comes from taxes, fees, and install. Install for two tires was 104.

Last time I went to Parkhaus Tire in Escondido Michelins were 28% more. Problem might be FMCA price is not the best for Mich.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:17 AM   #23

Not trying to high-jack your thread, but......a tire dealer said I should just put steer tires all around due to my low low highway miles. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrorcr View Post
Not trying to high-jack your thread, but......a tire dealer said I should just put steer tires all around due to my low low highway miles. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I have heard the same recommendation several times. Also, as the tires wear, best pair to steer, next best pair on outer duals, worst pair as inside duals. I bought the steer tires all around for flexibility in rotating them. Presumably a better ride, but I have nothing to compare to.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #25

Just replaced all 8 on my CC Affinity. Michelin on steer and Hankook on duel and tag. Very happy with the Hankooks on the rear but I have great confidence in Michelin for the steer. I wouldn't hesitate purchasing the Hankooks for rear or tag again to save some money.
Sharpspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #26

tires

you probably already bought but for others i will post. owner operator for 35 yrs semis. i had my best luck with michelins this being said good year and even firestone made good tires. bridgestone and mish are made in indiana and i beleve firestone was bought by mich. yokohama had some good ones too but price was very high. just my 2 cents but believe me i bought alot of tires in 35 yrs.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wheen it came time to replace all tires due to being 7 years old we went with the Michelins. I've always had good service with the many years of cars and RV with them. guess im a michelin man.
My local truck shop was very close in price to what FMCA was and they were willing to call Michelin in the Carolinas for the freshest tires available to the public. Mine were a little over 2 months old. And i did check all tires before mounting.
At a campingworld rally years back i went to a safety seminar and recal him mentioning a a shady tire dealer putting a very old tire on the inside duals where we usually won't crawl under to verify.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The Michelin price must be regular retail and not the FMCA Advantage price. Last time I looked our 365/70's were around $600.
Which is a considerable savings to the $833 + fed & state tax + $65 disposal fee I was just quoted today for those exact tires! The guy literally said ~ join FMCA and you'll save a ton right off the bat.
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote