Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #1

What can I generally expect when buying a 1993 CC...

Ok, generally what can I expect to go wrong with a 1993 country coach magna, on a gillig chassis with 118,000 miles. I do not see many posts here with owners of older coaches, are they all just out enjoying life on the road, or have these coaches all been retires to the farm do to age. What are common problems I might run into with this year and mileage, additionally any resources for parts for these older coaches.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #2

I think much depends upon how well a coach of that age has been cared for... If well maintained, the mechanicals should be good to go for along time. The chassis was simpler and well designed and parts should still be available. Not sure which engine and trans, may be a 4spd?, but if well serviced, the engine should have lots of life in it. Talk about simpler times - very little stuff to go wrong with that era's mechanical engines.

Get it caught up on maintenance if needed, then go enjoy it...

Best,
Smitty

Old 12-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #3

I just saw your other threads about the mechanicals of this rig. Concur with others input, on the mechanicals being solid. The 8.3 and 3060 trans are a great combo, and with a 36' rig, you should be good on power to weight ratio.

As you do not have history, I would:
-Oil and Trans sample and analysis
-Full LOF, and also do the same with the trans
-I would budget new belts, hoses, air cleaner, air cartridge
-Have brakes inspected and fully serviced as needed
-Full generator service
-On the blown air bag. Check with Gillig itself and see if they can recommend a source. Or, check in with the salvage RV yards as the Gillig was used on many high end coaches. If you can find a part number off of the old bag, that would be a plus.
-Normal age of tires and battery check if you can, if not date on the batteries, check for a serial or manufacturing tag, and call to see if the company can give you the age.
-Check shocks for how they are holding up.
-Go to a shop that knows chassis, and full inspection of bushings, rods, etc.

All of these can cost you quite a bit of coin, but would get the mechancial baseline back to where you know what you have. And, if purchased at the right price, you could be sitting on a nice rig for many years ahead.

I also agree with the comments that this is not a coach to get you way off the road. But, with slow driving and careful navigation, you should be able to get reasonable access to the boonies...

Best of luck on your new coach,
Smitty
Old 12-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree with smitty77,we have a1996 HR-and our main focus has been on maintainence since we bought it in September.We have put onlyabout 500 miles on it and camped twice. Before this, I had it gone over pretty well by a mechanic/rv restorer--we havent had any problems since--he went over the generator also--we have gradually bigger trips planned for spring--and Im not worried a bit about the reliability of our older MH.---Vince
Old 12-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
We enjoy ours with no fears for future reliability.

No slides but plenty of room and comfort.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #6

I am having two inspections, first the systems to verify that everything works, secondly the chassis and components. Do these pre-purchase inspections really tell a story of how well things have been maintained and what I can expect.

Also, how closely should I consider the nadaguides report. I see the report is saying value is between 17 and 22,000 . The dealership is selling for 32,000
Old 12-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
We enjoy ours with no fears for future reliability.

No slides but plenty of room and comfort.
Hi dean, I see you might have the same coach I am looking at. How does yours do boondocking, is it too low riding. Des your air bag system allow you to raise as you drive for road unevenness.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #8

We do not do any 'off road" boon docking. The coach, on a Gillig chassis, rides too low to the ground for unpaved roads other than desert situations like Quartzite.

I would have to have my co-pilot raise the rig to pass over obstacles and that speed would be less than 5 mph in my estimation. We have never encountered such a situation.
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 12-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
We do not do any 'off road" boon docking. The coach, on a Gillig chassis, rides too low to the ground for unpaved roads other than desert situations like Quartzite.

I would have to have my co-pilot raise the rig to pass over obstacles and that speed would be less than 5 mph in my estimation. We have never encountered such a situation.
Quartzite is kinda what I am talking about. El mirage, glamis, Johnson valley, borego springs. Off road areas for riding and exploring. Apparently these are places have rough access roads that you travel and pull off of. I would probably stay pretty close to the road.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #10

Quarzite was not a challenge the one time we boondocked there.
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #11

Thanks you all for the help, this forum has been very enlightening and informative. Both inspections indicated good condition. So, Decided to buy the 1993 country coach, along with coveralls and a good set of tools.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #12

i have a 93 magna does have some smoke from tail pipe at times and some oil from the breather tube has 146000 im not a mecanic so if anyone could explain some of this would be appericate
Old 05-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #13

Oil from breather tube is normal in small quantities. That is how rear radiator rigs get some cooling problems.

Smoke at altitude or maybe on cold start could be normal.

When does it occur and what color is the smoke?

With that info someone might be able to explain without doing a web search like I would.
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 05-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #14

Mine blows black smoke when I am over throttling, I notice it when climbing hills or taking off from a start. Not sure, but I think it has something to do with the turbo. Until the turbo can reach speeds it takes extra fuel creating smoke.

With that said, prior to changing out my charged air cooler, it smoked much more, I think the reason was the turbo could not build pressure, all pressure was escaping through the CAC fins. I noticed now much less smoke, runs cooler, extra power especially during take off. A leaking CAC can cause lots of problems, turbo can over spin and fail, bad fuel Economy, exhaust manifold failure...

CAC test is easy.

bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote