RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #1

What happened with Winnebago purchasing CC and factory

Have always looked at Country Coach and Newmar has both being one of the best diesel coach's. Winnebago has purchased Newmar and remember that Winnebago 2 or 3 years ago purchased the Country Coach name and factory and was going to build all diesel coaches there and in the long run bring back Country Coach. They did a lot of work and even started building coaches and then we haven't heard what happened. We have a 18 London Aire but would like to see Country Coach back in the high line diesel business again.

tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I was in Junction City the other day and observed the empty CC/Winnebago factory. Winnebago I believe realized some time ago the high end diesel market was owned by others and that they would never compete at the level they needed to.

What was said about the closure of the JC factory is they could not find enough people at the right price. I suspect there was some truth to this but, also another plan was in the making. The one which saw the purchase of Newmar.

I wonder if with the purchase of Winnebago opens a mega service center in the JC area to look after all their brands. Iím sure everyone out West would really appreciate a more centralized qualified service center.

For now the CC brand sits in a file cabinet at Winnebago, perhaps one day they will brand a coach using the name however, it will never be the same. I just hope they donít degrade the name like American Coach did with Beaver Marquis, Monaco Signature or HR Navigator.

2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #3

I have heard the "find the right people at the right price" before seems like a lot of BS. You are putting a large pile of money into a venture and you didn't do your due diligence. Always good to deflect blame.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:57 PM   #4

I believe you meant to say Monaco, instead of American Coach.

I suspect CC as it was, will not be back. Yes, a CC name could be used, but it will not be a CC.

The main old CC campus buildings are again available.

And yes, Winnebago could expand their West Coast Service Center to include Newmar, and that would good for Newmar owners. As more choices are always good. But Guarantee RV, a Winnebago and Newmar Dealer (And CC in the day!) remains, and they do have a Service Department... So literally within blocks of each other, IF Winnebago does expand their Service Center to include Newmar too - would be two Newmar Service facilities...

Eugene, Coburg and Junction City RV Manufacturing Tech's - are a thing of the pass. Sure, great repair expertise from former factory techs from County Coach and Monaco. And yes, Marathon is still building. Remember that many of the Monaco Coburg employees, were able to relocate to the Midwest and remain employed with Monaco, before they eventually went belly up. Most of them decided to stay in Kansas/Indiana, instead of returning to Oregon. Suspect many are now building other coaches... So that cuts down on the number of the formerly skill workforce available. And those that remain, were the younger and still learning employees at that time - the senior experience factory workers, well, they're retired now!!!

I've followed, and posted, in some of the Newmar threads about he Winnebago purchase. And I while I do have concerns on what Winnebago may change at Newmar, I hope they will leave the Newmar 'entity' intact. Including the ability to customize, and after sales Customer Service. It's nice to hope so!

And frankly, and also not intended to kick sand in the eyes of Newmar owners! The 2019 London Aire and 2018 Mountain Aire that I walked thru very thoroughly recently - had less then stellar attention to detail to the interior trim wood working, and finishes - once an Amish differential that set Newmar above many others. These left the factory that way, and if they let poor quality on things you can see 'escape' - what about the things that were not visible to the eye, buried and inside?

Tom - Entegra is realistically the only close comparison to Newmar today. Foretravel, while not the Foretravel of early years, is a different kind of RV targeting a different kind clientele. Tiffen, is just not at Newmar level - when it comes to the upper models. Allegro Bus and Zephyr - still seem to have a high volume of build problems (At least, after talking to the owner's of them...). Newell? Well again a different level of buyer.

American Coach still warrants a good look, and has specialty/unique chassis.

And I think the Mega Merger's and Takeover's, as well as still the fall out of Travel Supreme, Alpine, Country Coach, Monaco not serving - and now Newmar being also taken over - is really the key concern. This will result in less competition for a manufacturer to distinguish themselves from the rest of the pack...

Time will tell, in the meantime. The higher end coaches from those that have gone or are being acquired - will probably have higher demand from those seeking solid good quality used coaches. Values should slow down on depreciation... (Or perhaps that is wishful thinking on my part!)

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 09-23-2019, 12:46 AM   #5

Grew up in Iowa pretty close to Winnebago and remember Mr Hanson putting the company together. Sis worked for them for some time and got employee of the year award once at her plant. Would hope all will be well, but realistically walk through a new Winnie C and compare it to a ten or fifteen year old one. That reduction in quality is likely what you are going to wind up with. I have seen this movie many times before.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:52 AM   #6

A very scary movie no doubt
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #7

Country Coach is dead. When they went belly up they tossed all the parts for the various coaches under construction into the various coaches, cut up all the jigs for the building the Dynomax frames and sold them for scrap. The only thing Winnebago got was 3 full size paint booths, the computer records of Country Coach, some paper records and the computer records disappeared into cyber space. If you go look around Premiere and Oregon Motor Coach you will see a few molds for various parts of the body but that's about it.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:21 AM   #8

Yes we will probably never see new cc's built. But I will toss in that Premier RV in Junction City is still alive and doing a great service to us that have CC's they specialize in them and also do work for other high end coaches. Foretravel, Newmar, Prevost to name a few

Gregs 2 Pennies
40' Quad slide CCI #11811
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #9

The market is getting smaller for 30+ foot long motorhomes. I see lots of new 5th wheels, class B, and travel trailers around but very few class A. When Winnebago went to electric slides, stopped using residential air and cut way back on units with fiberglass roofs you could see that the push to bigger and better that started around 1997 was over.
They may start using that facility for factory repairs but I donít think they will get back into large motorhome production.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I talked with a Newmar owner last week at a campground. Instead of doom and gloom, he thought maybe the service part of the business would improve with more facilities west of the Rockies and parts availability.

egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago