Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
I have a 2005 Allure with Cat C9 and Allison MH3000. My temps were rising to these numbers and really climbing while stopped in gear. Took it to two different mechanics who checked the codes and found no evidence of overheating. We did find that the sensor that goes to the dash gauge wasn't in the best position for reading true temps, but that wasn't the cause for the high temps. It turned out after a bunch of diagnostics, to be the gauge on my dash. I replaced the gauge and my trans temps read normal now. Couldn't get exact replacement as CC doesn't have them anymore, and the company that made them is out of business. I searched and found one the right size and looks close. Can't believe all the worry it caused.
HavasuRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #16
YC1

What were your engine temps?

In any case I would clean the radiator fins thoroughly and replace the engine thermostat just based on age. If you get into a hard pulling hill you probably will overheat.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Allison world class transmissions IE..2500mh, 3000mh use torque converter in first and second gear you should feel the lockup to direct at the top end of second gear.So...excessive idling in gear will raise temp to the cooler extended low speed traffic traffic operation also raises temps.I think the fifth vs six is more closely related to engine rpm / total cooling capability.My 3000mh runs 195 to 205deg my engine temps are 195 to 210.
grandpatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #18

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavasuRed View Post
I have a 2005 Allure with Cat C9 and Allison MH3000. My temps were rising to these numbers and really climbing while stopped in gear. Took it to two different mechanics who checked the codes and found no evidence of overheating. We did find that the sensor that goes to the dash gauge wasn't in the best position for reading true temps, but that wasn't the cause for the high temps. It turned out after a bunch of diagnostics, to be the gauge on my dash. I replaced the gauge and my trans temps read normal now. Couldn't get exact replacement as CC doesn't have them anymore, and the company that made them is out of business. I searched and found one the right size and looks close. Can't believe all the worry it caused.
I've got the same coach and noticed temperatures in the same range as David on a 45 minute highway trip. We are camped now and the engine temp gage reads 150 degrees and the transmission temperature 180 just sitting here with the engine and transmission cold. That doesn't sound right to me.
macraekw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #19

VMSpc show the temps

When I purchased my Inspire it came with the hardware for a Silverleaf VMSpc, but not the eee PC. I finally purchased a used one ($85) on Criagslist. Our first trip was last weekend. The transmission temp was 25 to 35 degrees cooler than was being shown on the analog gauge, so I guess that the problem is in the quality of the gauge or where it is located.

Now I have a fancy VMSpc digital dash that tells me more than I can possible process while driving.

Thanks to all of you that have provided feedback
Old 04-01-2014, 06:10 AM   #20

That was my experience exactly. I have taken several trips now with my new gauge and have not seen the temp over 200, in fact it stays around 195. My m/h doesn't have Silverleaf, but I'm thinking about getting ScanD, so I can get a digital reading from the computer sensor.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
What were your engine temps?

In any case I would clean the radiator fins thoroughly and replace the engine thermostat just based on age. If you get into a hard pulling hill you probably will overheat.
I agree. I had transmission overheating and it was directly related to engine temp. Fan was not running on high setting.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #22

Quote:
That was my experience exactly. I have taken several trips now with my new gauge and have not seen the temp over 200, in fact it stays around 195. My m/h doesn't have Silverleaf, but I'm thinking about getting ScanD, so I can get a digital reading from the computer sensor.
The scangauge D is a good gauge BUT when you are looking at thousands of dollars in a coach I would look at the http://rvaccessorynews.com/2012/12/28/silverleaf-vmspc/ and get a PC on sale then you will see a new world when it come to the running of your coach. I have the SilverLeaf 330. This is where I had mine installed at the old corporate headquarters http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/
I like to see a lot of stuff at one time with the ScanD you can't, you have to scroll to fined, only 4 things at one time. Not saying they are a bad gauge, just not for me.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #23

Thanks 2stroker, I didn't know they had a Silverleaf aftermarket available. I'm looking into it. I want to see it for tablet as I think it would be kinda cumbersome to hook it to a laptop.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Thanks 2stroker, I didn't know they had a Silverleaf aftermarket available. I'm looking into it. I want to see it for tablet as I think it would be kinda cumbersome to hook it to a laptop.
Here is a good read plus some pix.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/inst...et-191115.html
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:45 AM   #25

I used an 8 inch epc made by asus and it worked great. set on dash fine. Endless capability
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Here's what I did. There are other examples of PC mounting in this thread as well.
PC Mounting For VMSpc
We're picking up our new-to-us 2002 Affinity next week and it has the Silverleaf system embedded in the coach dash. But I think I like the small PC better for visibility.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission