Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Caterpillar RV Hotline 877-777-3126. They can tell you where the nearest cat shop is and answer any questions. Give them your engine serial # and they can tell you the service history of your engine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #16

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbfirm View Post
Caterpillar RV Hotline 877-777-3126. They can tell you where the nearest cat shop is and answer any questions. Give them your engine serial # and they can tell you the service history of your engine.
Even easier just use the CAT dealer locator http://www.cat.com/en_US/support/dealer-locator.html. Just check the boxes for "on-highway trucks" and "parts and service" and enter your location. Once a CAT service center plugs into the engine's ECM its entire diagnostic history is available to them. They will be able to retrieve any fault codes the engine has ever displayed.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
It looks like the deal for the 2002 Affinity with C-12 engine is likely to go through. We're going to Junction City Oregon to pick it up on Wednesday, the 9th.

Any recommendations for CAT service near Junction City Oregon?

TIA

P.S. The online locator was not much help in isolating dealers who would work on motor homes. When I called CAT last week with the engine serial number they said that they no longer specifically identify shops as being "motor home" friendly.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #18

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorDave View Post
P.S. The online locator was not much help in isolating dealers who would work on motor homes. When I called CAT last week with the engine serial number they said that they no longer specifically identify shops as being "motor home" friendly.
The online locator identifies dealers who work on on-highway trucks. My experience is that most of them will work on motorhomes.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #19

I'd use a CAT service center that does over the road trucks before an authorized CAT service center. You will discover CAT service centers are regionally owned. They may covet a state or multiple states.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile

There is a Peterson CAT shop in/near Eugene, OR, just a few miles from Junction City. I don't have experience on my coach, but a friend I was traveling with broke down about 60 miles in the Cascade Mtns. from Eugene - wouldn't start. The dealer sent a tech out and after many hours and delivery of parts we were on our way to Crater Lake NP. The tech seemed to know what he was doing and had good diagnostic gear he was able to interpret. Peterson has several shops in the Oregon area. Good luck, Dave and congrats on the new ride.

Denny

Quote:
It looks like the deal for the 2002 Affinity with C-12 engine is likely to go through. We're going to Junction City Oregon to pick it up on Wednesday, the 9th.

Any recommendations for CAT service near Junction City Oregon?

TIA

Old 04-07-2014, 12:12 AM   #21

Quote:
OK. Sounds like CAT dealers have shops that are willing and able to service engines in motor homes with all that entails. I have no idea if the C-12 in the 2002 Affinity we're looking at needs a valve lash adjustment. It was cited only as an example of something that Cummins Coach Care would not do as a consequence of their policy to not work on CAT engines.

Am familiar with Speedco and have been using them for more than four years.
If you have the oil changed have them install the Cat Advanced High Efficiency Engine Oil Filter 1R-1808, I think that fits your motor also. I have 2 of the 1R 0716 filters that I am taking back on Monday when I take mine in for the Valve adj. I called and they said they will exchange. They are about $10 more.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 AM   #22
laj

right now if you have the overhead ran you get a free oil change. inly good tho if you need it.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
I have had the best results using a CAT dealer for engine work on my C12. Last spring we blew a charge air cooler a short distance from Bakersfield and just looked up CAT in that city. They took very good care of us and did not get the carpets soiled. Before that we had had service done by non CAT people and had some bad results.

As far as the valve adjustment goes the CAT people last spring adjusted ours and all of a sudden our engine brake worked really well. Plus we started getting full power readings on the Silverleaf computer.
Bob,

Did you or the CAT shop go through any extraordinary measures to gain access to your engine for the valve lash adjustment?

I'm having some work done next month at Premier RV in Junction City and then have an appointment at Peterson CAT in Eugene for the valve lash adjustment. In reading about this in the Caterpillar forum some owners did some work on the bedroom floor to improve access to the engine so the high-dollar mechanic would not have to. My thinking is that Premier could put down the plastic rug covering and loosen/remove problematic floor panels to improve access.

TIA
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
Old 07-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #24

I have most of the engine work done at Holt Cat here in San Antonio. They did the valve adjustment several years ago. If they need top access to the engine, I take out the bolts for the engine access cover first, and move the mattress to the side. They replaced the engine coolant hoses last year, and Country Coach replaced the rest of the coolant hoses afterwards. Our Cat shop has higher shop rates for RVs, but they usually give us a break. If it just an oil and filter change, I have done that different places, including Foretravel, who did a great job, including fixing the passenger foot rest.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #25

Dave,

We did not do anything except leave coach at CAT shop. I suppose putting down some plastic or removing bedding is not a bad idea.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Dave,

We did not do anything except leave coach at CAT shop. I suppose putting down some plastic or removing bedding is not a bad idea.
Thanks, Bob. The reason that I asked is that the "other" Bob on the CAT forum went to some trouble to remove parts of the bedroom floor to provide access to the engine. Though his is a 2001, I assume it's very much like our 2002's.

Gaining Access To Engine In 42' Affinity

Thanks again,
Old 07-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #27

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
I have most of the engine work done at Holt Cat here in San Antonio. They did the valve adjustment several years ago. If they need top access to the engine, I take out the bolts for the engine access cover first, and move the mattress to the side. They replaced the engine coolant hoses last year, and Country Coach replaced the rest of the coolant hoses afterwards. Our Cat shop has higher shop rates for RVs, but they usually give us a break. If it just an oil and filter change, I have done that different places, including Foretravel, who did a great job, including fixing the passenger foot rest.
We were also taking our MH to Holt for routine work, but they aren't inexpensive and getting in and out of there the same day is "iffy" and since we full-time it gets expensive if we can't.

We happen to winter in the Corpus Christi area and this past spring some locals got me in touch with Reuben's Fleet Service there. They are a family owned and operated shop that does chassis and limited engine service on a wide range of diesel vehicles. I had my annual PM1 service done there in March and I felt it was done well and the cost was ~2/3 of what I had paid Holt. When I pulled into their yard and saw the number and variety of commercial vehicles there for service I got a sense that others, including a local fire company, trusted their work, which did give me some added confidence.

I don't know where you're based out of and whether or not this will be of help, but I figured it was worth passing along, just in case. I would still take my CAT to Holt for anything major, but for routine stuff this place will be fine for us.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
We were also taking our MH to Holt for routine work, but they aren't inexpensive and getting in and out of there the same day is "iffy" and since we full-time it gets expensive if we can't.

We happen to winter in the Corpus Christi area and this past spring some locals got me in touch with Reuben's Fleet Service there. They are a family owned and operated shop that does chassis and limited engine service on a wide range of diesel vehicles. I had my annual PM1 service done there in March and I felt it was done well and the cost was ~2/3 of what I had paid Holt. When I pulled into their yard and saw the number and variety of commercial vehicles there for service I got a sense that others, including a local fire company, trusted their work, which did give me some added confidence.

I don't know where you're based out of and whether or not this will be of help, but I figured it was worth passing along, just in case. I would still take my CAT to Holt for anything major, but for routine stuff this place will be fine for us.
Thanks! We're here in San Antonio, so I usually drop the coach off, and we're full-timing in a stick house, so timing is usually not a problem. And if I have an issue, it's easy to take it back. Enjoy Corpus!

Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, service