Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
White streaking

Hi all, I have a 1995 concept I bought this year and just love it so far. I had no idea there is so much to learn about all the different systems. More on all that later but I am having a problem that I need some advice. I washed the roof with car wash soap and a soft bristled brush. It was very dirty when I started and looked great when done but every sense then I get white striking down the sides of the RV when it rains. I'm looking for some advice from anyone that is familiar with this problem. Thanks
Hondalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #2

Common problem with the roof. You can paint it or use a product like Bus Kote for a more permanent fix
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #3

I assume you have a fiberglass roof?
Old 07-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #4

I painted the roof with regular outdoor latex paint. I taped off the clearcoat--whatever was left of it, and went to town. Easy cleanup and worked well. That was 4 years ago--may have to redo when it cools down.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #5

CC used to recommend periodic treatment with Formula 303.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:20 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I was having a similar problem from my fibre glass front cap. What I just did recently was go over it with a gel-coat fg polish and sealer. Cleaned it up nicely and now the rain just beads off it.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I washed the roof and applied three coats of Zep High Traffic Floor wax. No streaking and the roof looks great.

See this thread:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/zeppe...of-204548.html
Old 08-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm experimenting with Liquid Glass. First coat is down.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #9

We went with the Buskote route, but I was also looking for some help on cooing too, as the back part of our coach is a dark maroon color.

I did look carefully at many of the boating deck coating paints too, and feel that it would have probably been just about the same as the Buskote. (The company I had do my roof coating, had worked with Buskote many times, and never used the boating deck coat that I had picked (sorry, name escapes me now). So, I went with what they had experience installing. Cost of labor was the same, and material cost was within $100.)

Another thing I've seen done on a few coaches, and may add it our roof too, is the Gutters that you peel the backing off of and stick to where you want them. I'm thinking of building a 'gutter horseshoe' around the front 1/3 of the coach. Lay it on the top of the roof, where the Buskote ends, and the side curve edge of the roof starts to slope down, and along the same leading roof edge of the Cap. This would channel/pool the moisture from heavy dew (when at home, we're along the coast, and wake up to quite a wet roof), and keep it from running down the front windshield when coming down a hill or pulling to a shop. And on our coach, we have a small gap between where the door awning and main awning are attached to the side of the coach, and this seems to be the main channel of water coming off the roof for this side. Figured if I had the gutter running down say at least half way down the main awing part, it would channel in light water build up to the back part of the coach.

And guys, the roofs do get dirty with dust and dirt, so while the white streaks are not a problem with these remedies, it still does not totally stop streaks down the coach!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #10

I just had mine coach detailed and polished down in Hilton head island while I was down there and the guy use this stuff called new glass 2 on the roof and it turned out great he told me he has been using it for many years. you can buy it online for 45 bucks and you get the app with it. he told me you do it once yearly if it stays outdoors or 18 months if you store in indoors or possibly longer. also he did 6 coats on mine and then 18 cotes on the front where the paint is where it meets the roof line.