Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #1

Wind noise from bus door entry

I have a 1997 Country Coach Affinity with the bus door entry. When I'm going down the road at highway speeds, it make a loud wind noise that
make it had to hear any music on the radio. How can I fix this problem and make that noise go away?

Thanks again for all you input crew.

Tim and Linda
1997 Country Coach Affinity

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 09:10 PM   #2

I have same problem. I'm pretty sure we both need too replace or add some rubber gaskets. This should fix the problem...

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜

Old 10-08-2016, 09:15 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Had some noise from what I thought was the entry door. I got in the coach and had the wife tape the entire door, closing up all gaps. Got the same whistling while driving. Finally found an ares in the windshield gasket that gaped out away from the windshield for about 6 inches. Filled it with sealant and no more whistling.

Have yourself taped inside the coach and go for a test drive.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #4

Maybe door is not aligned to frame or door is not flat? Letting in wind noise.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #5

gents, are you sure it's from the door? you might have mistaken the source of the noise - not from the door, but the forward end of the awning - at least mine is! for older coaches with manual awnings this is a common problem. i am in the middle to curing it, involving a custom cap... confident i will nail it .
Old 10-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
gents, are you sure it's from the door? you might have mistaken the source of the noise - not from the door, but the forward end of the awning - at least mine is! for older coaches with manual awnings this is a common problem. i am in the middle to curing it, involving a custom cap... confident i will nail it .
Maybe, maybe not. I had the noise with the factory Zip Dee and when I changed to a Girard, same noise
Old 10-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
I've wondered that also. I'm sure others would be interested in your custom cap, please share when its complete.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I had the noise with the factory Zip Dee and when I changed to a Girard, same noise
hey don, when i first noticed the noise, my first thought went to the door seals. well, replacing the seals was an easy job and hd had the seal materials. obviously the noise was/is still there. checked it out further, i was/am convinced that the strong head wind blows onto the end of the awning but the zip zee endcap is much smaller than the diameter of the awning roll holding the awning cloth. the wind is hitting the roll making the aluminum roll strips flap/shake. that is where my noise is generated.

not sure others but if one has a small cap awning, like zip dee's early models, it's definitely a point of attention. op's is a 97's, might have the same awnings as mine.

happy trails.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:08 PM   #9

I'll throw in a comment ; the door awning front arm , is one source of wind noise on my coach ( considerable difference, driving in the rain when the RS wiper deflects air around it) another problem was the stationary glass in the door had broken loose from the sealant and was only held in place by the external rubber gasket , re-sealing the glass into the frame dropped the amount of noise considerably.
Drivers front stationary glass was loose too; window in front of the drivers door.
I'll watch for CountryFit's post on a wind deflector.

EDIT: Picture shows a sheet of paper pushed through down the inside of the glass and visible below the glass outside behind the rubber gasket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311 (640x360).jpg
Views:	27
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	141159  
Old 10-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #10

I had a high pitch whistling noise I thought was coming from the top of my door. It ended up being the wind sensor for the Girard awning. Tied it up with a zip tie.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:24 AM   #11

wind noise from door

I have a 97 Intrigue and I do not have a main awning. It is very random and pretty darn irritating. I lock the door so it does not fly open, but this make little to no difference. The door simply pops loose but does not fly open, after this the wind noise is incredible and a real bummer cause I have no one there to try and close it or seal it up while I'm driving.
Again, I have no awning (main awning) there at all and it is pretty obvious it's coming from the door not sealing tight.
Btw, if someone has bought a new awning (maybe one of those automatic ones?) I would be very interested in buying your old or original equipment awning (Zip Dee 95, 96,97,98?). I have the mounting rail and the bottom brackets and I believe they are 21 feet apart. (I have a 40ft rig) I would love to buy your old one let me know asap. thanks
Old 10-21-2016, 11:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40footmonster View Post
I have a 97 Intrigue and I do not have a main awning. It is very random and pretty darn irritating. I lock the door so it does not fly open, but this make little to no difference. The door simply pops loose but does not fly open, after this the wind noise is incredible and a real bummer cause I have no one there to try and close it or seal it up while I'm driving.
:

My rig has done a similar popping loose of the door handle lock.

I have tightened and adjusted the door frame latch and door latch pegs to eliminate the popping loose event. It is an adjustment done at least every year.

My deadbolt lock keeps the door from opening but does not provide a perfect sealed door.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #13

Ours developed a whistle that drove us crazy at highway speed. It sounded like it was in front of us or just above us.

I found the grey water roof vent was missing the cover. At certain speeds and depending on the wind direction, the air blowing across the top of the pipe was the problem. The vent was mid coach but you would swear it was coming from up front.

Just another place to look.............

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneal49 View Post
I have a 1997 Country Coach Affinity with the bus door entry. When I'm going down the road at highway speeds, it make a loud wind noise that
make it had to hear any music on the radio. How can I fix this problem and make that noise go away?

Thanks again for all you input crew.

Tim and Linda
1997 Country Coach Affinity
I did not know Affinitys had bus door entry's ? I just rebuilt my entire entry rubber molded steps , acrillic side removable side panels with led smart phone lights controlled . New weather strip all around. I found it at Mac Master Carr web site 20 ft roll.air operated floor cover new carpet with aluminum custom extrusions all around. Was a fun summer project, got all the leaks stopped too.

Tags
door, noise, wind noise