Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Winterization Question

Well its still summer and we've been grounded due to my wife's back surgery so haven't used the coach since spring . We will get to use it in October then have to winterize. So, I'm pondering winterization since I have not really had to do that since we got this coach.

I usually blow all the air out of the water lines. However, I am aware that I must pump antifreeze thru the coach for the Aqua Hot. And, since we have a washer, I will plan to go ahead and pump the pink stuff thru the entire system for safety.

So, I cannot find a separate siphon hose for the water pump like I had on my previous DP. I really do not want to put the pink stuff in my freshwater tank. I have considered getting a second RV pump to use for this and to have as a spare if/when the OEM pump fails.

So, what have you other CC owners done?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 09:49 PM   #2

I have been winterizing each year since we got the coach, I use a drill pump and a old hose I made work. I run a drill and pump the pink stuff until all the faucets, shower, washer dryer turn pink. Remeber to run hot and cold, Remember to pull your water filter I just replace each year.

If we go on a trip for the weekend I use windshield antifreeze (a lot cheaper) to flush the toilet and bottle water for everything else.

I will tell you I have put like 5 gallons in the fresh water tank and pumped the system that also works I just bleach the freshwater tank each year that is recommended. It takes me 30 minutes but I know that I'm good to go.

Ssgritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:43 PM   #3

I like you had to do my 02 Intrigue last January after purchasing it from a couple in southern California. They never needed to winterize so I took it to a RV dealership to have it done.

They first built and installed a bypass line for the filter, and water heater. Then they cut the line that runs from the tank to the water pump, and installed a "T" bypass with a siphon line attached that I can pull out and just drop it into the antifreeze bottle. They only charged 20$ on top of there winterization fee for these extras. But any RV parts place will have these bypass kits that you can install yourself. Not sure why CC didn't but these on during construction.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #4

I built my own winterization hose with this fitting (or similar) and a 15-20 inch section of plastic tubing.

I disconnect the water pump at the suction and screw on the winterization hose, drop the other end into the plumbing antifreeze container and use the pump to distribute to coach plumbing - Aquahot, washer, toilet. I also dump some into the p traps in shower, vanity and kitchen sink.

Don't forget to shut off icemaker behind fridge, disconnect supply and outlet from solenoid and let both drain.

Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
I built my own winterization hose with this fitting (or similar) and a 15-20 inch section of plastic tubing.

I disconnect the water pump at the suction and screw on the winterization hose, drop the other end into the plumbing antifreeze container and use the pump to distribute to coach plumbing - Aquahot, washer, toilet. I also dump some into the p traps in shower, vanity and kitchen sink.

Don't forget to shut off icemaker behind fridge, disconnect supply and outlet from solenoid and let both drain.

Brian

I have the Amama residential fridge and there is no access behind it. I can see no way to disconnect the water supply line. When we first got the coach it had been winterized with RV antifreeze and the water filter in the fridge was full of the pink stuff. I am thinking I must let the RV antifreeze run through the fridge water plumbing....ours has the ice make and water dispenser in the freezer door.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #6
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have posted this before but for years we have winterized using Vodka instead of the pink stuff. Lot's of nay sayers, but never a problem for almost twenty years.

I buy the cheapest stuff I can find. It takes around four or five fifths. We bypass the water heater, ect. and pump the Vodka through the lines.

It has advantages. Leaves no after taste. Does not freeze. Does not cost much more. Sanitizes the lines, and least but not lost on us is the party in the Spring when you can make a martini right out of the faucet.

No, we don't do that last one.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #7

Am I the only RV owner who simply "gravity drains" EVERYTHING in the fresh water system...(no RV antifreeze, except in the P-traps... no blowing out)?
(That has worked for me for 14 Wisconsin winter storage's).
Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles
Old 09-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I have the Amama residential fridge and there is no access behind it. I can see no way to disconnect the water supply line. When we first got the coach it had been winterized with RV antifreeze and the water filter in the fridge was full of the pink stuff. I am thinking I must let the RV antifreeze run through the fridge water plumbing....ours has the ice make and water dispenser in the freezer door.
Had this in my files.

Q What do I need to do to winterize my Amana residential style
refrigerator?
A The fresh water system for drinking water and ice making needs to be
evacuated. We recommend that you use a properly filtered and regulated (45 psi
max) supply of compressed air to perform this task, just as you would for the
rest of the plumbing systems. We are assuming at this point that you have in fact
winterized the rest of the coach and that the water supply is turned off and the
air supply is connected in its place, but turned off for now. Next, locate the
water reservoir for the cold water dispenser (in the crisper drawer) and
carefully remove the fastener holding it in place. You may now either remove the
reservoir - and use a barb union to join the two waterlines together - or you may
turn it upside down so that both lines are on the bottom. With either choice, you
would now turn on the air supply and operate the dispenser until the all the
water is blown out of the supply lines. The ice maker should be operated until no
more water flows into it and no ice is made. We do not recommend using RV antifreeze
to winterize any of the fresh water lines in your coach.
by James Jordan, Country Coach Service Training Manager
As published in the WINTER 2007 issue of Country Coach Destinations
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #9

We have a 2004 Intrigue w/ hydrohot, Samsung fridge, washer/dryer. We often use ours in the fall and then winterize it until we head south after Christmas. If we are unlucky we come home too early and I need to winterize again. First I drain all the tanks and flush the grey and black really well. Then, in the wet bay I remove the access panel to the water filter, remove the filter and empty the holder and replace it. Then I remove the access panel to the water pump. My water pump has an inlet filter that can be rotated. I disconnect the hose from the potabe water tank and rotate the filter so I can see the hose filling. I made a 4' hose that attaches to the water pump inlet filter and drops into a 2 gallon bucket on the floor. I fill the bucket, prime the hose an turn on the water pump. The pump is susposed to be self priming so this works well. As long as I keep the bucket full it works great to fill all of the hot and cold water lines. I make sure I run the hot water lines until I see pure pink so that I know the hydrohot is full of antifreeze. I trip the switch in the refrigerator ice tray about 6 or 7 times until I see pink. I follow the instructions on the washer/dryer until I see pink. This all takes about an hour and 9 gallons of antifreeze. Don't forget to put a cup or so of antifreeze in each sink and stool.
When spring arrives just flush with water until everything runs clear. Don't forget to run the washer/dryer because if you leave pink antifreeze in those lines you will taste it in your water system.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #10

I pull the hose off my fresh water take and drop it into a 5 gallon bucket filled with rv antifreeze and turn the water pump on and then turn on the faucets and shower and flush the toilet and I'm done with all the lines in 5 minutes make sure you bypass the water heater.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:37 AM   #11

You cannot bypaas the HydroHot ($8,000 to replace a screwup), you can turn off the water to the ice maker and the washer/dryer. However, you still need to make sure you get the metering valves clear of water or you will end up replacing them in the spring. That is both expensive and time consuming - ask how I know! Winterizing likely does not take an hour but just make sure you do it correctly.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:46 PM   #12
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykiller View Post
I pull the hose off my fresh water take and drop it into a 5 gallon bucket filled with rv antifreeze and turn the water pump on and then turn on the faucets and shower and flush the toilet and I'm done with all the lines in 5 minutes make sure you bypass the water heater.
krazykiller:I'm confused! How do you get the water from the pail through the hose? You turn on the pump? Can't visualize how it will work! Thanks for your post!
Old 09-04-2015, 06:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
krazykiller:I'm confused! How do you get the water from the pail through the hose? You turn on the pump? Can't visualize how it will work! Thanks for your post!
I'm taking the hose off the tank (suction side of the pump) and extend the hose with a barb fitting and extra hose and put into bucket. I go inside the rv and turn the water pump on it pressurizes the water system and the I open all the faucet's and shower to run antifreeze thru the lines and get antifreeze in the p traps and of course flush the toilet a couple times.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:02 AM   #14

I do what Krazy killer does, I have a short piece of hose made up to attach to pump suction side, drop it into bucket or jug of antifreeze, I also use the same when I sanatize the system. if ice maker is turned off, none or very little will get to ice. but, in winterizing blow low pressure air thro system first.

Tags
winter