Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While we love the CC and think it is generally a well built coach, I would agree I was surprised they provided no fittings for using an outside source of RV antifreeze. My previous coach, a Winnebago Journey, had electrically-controlled solenoids that isolated the water heater and a fitting in the pump inlet with an attached tube that you put in the pink stuff. All you had to do was hit the 'winterize' button and the deed was done.

I will have to winterize my Allure next week and I am installing a ball valve and T in the suction line from the fresh water tank to the pump inlet. That will let me use the existing pump to pull antifreeze from a bucket. I do not want to put the pink stuff in my fresh water tank.

On my Allure, I can identify the suction line that comes out of the bottom of the FW tank and goes to the filter on the pump inlet. I will cut into that and install the shark bite ball valve and T.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #30
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
While we love the CC and think it is generally a well built coach, I would agree I was surprised they provided no fittings for using an outside source of RV antifreeze. My previous coach, a Winnebago Journey, had electrically-controlled solenoids that isolated the water heater and a fitting in the pump inlet with an attached tube that you put in the pink stuff. All you had to do was hit the 'winterize' button and the deed was done.

I will have to winterize my Allure next week and I am installing a ball valve and T in the suction line from the fresh water tank to the pump inlet. That will let me use the existing pump to pull antifreeze from a bucket. I do not want to put the pink stuff in my fresh water tank.

On my Allure, I can identify the suction line that comes out of the bottom of the FW tank and goes to the filter on the pump inlet. I will cut into that and install the shark bite ball valve and T.
That is a great idea! I would like to see a pic or two when you have it done. I have a gravity fill cap for the freshwater tank, but it apparently is designed by someone with little or no practical sense. Its location makes putting antifreeze in it almost impossible unless you had a secondary pump.
Good luck with yours!
Old 10-24-2015, 06:02 AM   #31

smlranger has a good idea for a permanent configuration.

I got one of these adapters from the local RV supply when I was winterizing our Monaco Windsor. When hooked up the plastic tube goes into the antifreeze jug and the coach water pump sucks it up and sends it into the plumbing without involving the water tank. It takes about 2 minutes to install and another 2 minutes to uninstall. They cost something like $1.75 and come in 90 degree elbow like in the picture or straight.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:47 AM   #32
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
smlranger has a good idea for a permanent configuration.

I got one of these adapters from the local RV supply when I was winterizing our Monaco Windsor. When hooked up the plastic tube goes into the antifreeze jug and the coach water pump sucks it up and sends it into the plumbing without involving the water tank. It takes about 2 minutes to install and another 2 minutes to uninstall. They cost something like $1.75 and come in 90 degree elbow like in the picture or straight.

FWIW
Wow! perfect solution. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
I see it is attached to the inlet of the pump. Do you take it off/on, or is it permanently mounted?
(Second Edit) I see, on a closer note -you took the the other hose off!
I like this much better than pouring antifreeze in the fresh water tank!
Have a great day!
Old 10-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #33

It's installed on an as-needed basis. You have to remove it to reconnect the water's source to the pump for normal use. The collars for the adapter and for the coach's PEX connection have wings that make attaching and detaching easy to do with fingers - no tools required.

Here's an image of the configuration as it would normally be without the adapter.

j

You can see what needs to be done to hook it up and then restore back to normal.

HTH
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
Old 10-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #34
srh

Newmar Owners Club
CoCoDave: I appreciate that very much - seems easy to do. But have one other question, my pump looks a bit different, but how can you tell which is the inlet and which is the outlet of the pump? I have a small access opening and very hard to see! Thanks, again!
Old 10-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #35

The inlet side should have a small strainer similar to the one in the picture. The one on my current coach (2002 Affinity) is slightly larger and the plastic parts are black instead of white.

HTH
Old 10-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #36
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
The inlet side should have a small strainer similar to the one in the picture. The one on my current coach (2002 Affinity) is slightly larger and the plastic parts are black instead of white.

HTH
Thanks, CoCoDave! Mine looks a little different than the picture, but I got it to work. I have my ice-maker on and see what it produces with the pink stuff. I have an Amana side-by-side. I found where the filter is, but since I had pumped the antifreeze, I left it on. I'll replace it when I de-winterize in the spring.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:43 AM   #37

The Amana refrigerator has a water reservoir in behind the crisper drawer. It needs to be drained and bypassed.

From Country Coach tech articles,

Q What do I need to do to winterize my Amana residential style
refrigerator?
A The fresh water system for drinking water and ice making needs to be
evacuated. We recommend that you use a properly filtered and regulated (45 psi
max) supply of compressed air to perform this task, just as you would for the
rest of the plumbing systems. We are assuming at this point that you have in fact
winterized the rest of the coach and that the water supply is turned off and the
air supply is connected in its place, but turned off for now. Next, locate the
water reservoir for the cold water dispenser (in the crisper drawer) and
carefully remove the fastener holding it in place. You may now either remove the
reservoir - and use a barb union to join the two waterlines together - or you may
turn it upside down so that both lines are on the bottom.
With either choice, you
would now turn on the air supply and operate the dispenser until the all the
water is blown out of the supply lines. The ice maker should be operated until no
more water flows into it and no ice is made. We do not recommend using RV antifreeze
to winterize any of the fresh water lines in your coach.
by James Jordan, Country Coach Service Training Manager
• As published in the WINTER 2007 issue of Country Coach Destinations

This was also posted here.....
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
We do not recommend using RV antifreeze

I am confused why they could make that recommendation when most of our
CC's have either Hydro Hot or Aqua Hot systems where you are specifically told that blowing out the water lines is not sufficient to protect the fresh water coil in the hydronic unit. You must pump RV antifreeze thru that coil to protect it from freezing. In fact, I found yet another tech article written by a CC engineer (from Sherry Fannon 's website) where he recommended blowing out the lines with air (which I did) followed by pumping RV antifreeze thru the system (due to the Aqua Hot system).

I decided not to complicate things and did what CoCo Dave suggested. I just attached a fitting with a 1/2" hose directly to the pump Inlet and used that to pump the pink stuff from a 5 gallon bucket. I ended up using 8 gallons to do the entire coach including the washer and fridge. I saved an old filter to use in the fridge just for winterizing and will remove it when we use the coach again.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:38 PM   #39

smlranger,

I agree, I use a short section of plastic hose and fitting to draw RV antifreeze up to the pump suction from a gallon bucket. I was posting the info for the water reservoir in the residential Amana fridge option, and how it needs to drained and bypassed.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
smlranger,

I agree, I use a short section of plastic hose and fitting to draw RV antifreeze up to the pump suction from a gallon bucket. I was posting the info for the water reservoir in the residential Amana fridge option, and how it needs to drained and bypassed.

Brian
Thanks for the tip on that reservoir. That explains why it seemed to take a bit of time for the clear water to come out of the water dispenser and for the pink stuff to appear.

Next time I do this, I will deal with the reservoir.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #41
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We do not recommend using RV antifreeze

I am confused why they could make that recommendation when most of our
CC's have either Hydro Hot or Aqua Hot systems where you are specifically told that blowing out the water lines is not sufficient to protect the fresh water coil in the hydronic unit. You must pump RV antifreeze thru that coil to protect it from freezing. In fact, I found yet another tech article written by a CC engineer (from Sherry Fannon 's website) where he recommended blowing out the lines with air (which I did) followed by pumping RV antifreeze thru the system (due to the Aqua Hot system).

I decided not to complicate things and did what CoCo Dave suggested. I just attached a fitting with a 1/2" hose directly to the pump Inlet and used that to pump the pink stuff from a 5 gallon bucket. I ended up using 8 gallons to do the entire coach including the washer and fridge. I saved an old filter to use in the fridge just for winterizing and will remove it when we use the coach again.
smlranger:
Did you do what is suggested at Post #37? If so, I need to that yet too!

Thanks,
Old 10-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #42
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
The Amana refrigerator has a water reservoir in behind the crisper drawer. It needs to be drained and bypassed.

From Country Coach tech articles,

Q What do I need to do to winterize my Amana residential style
refrigerator?
A The fresh water system for drinking water and ice making needs to be
evacuated. We recommend that you use a properly filtered and regulated (45 psi
max) supply of compressed air to perform this task, just as you would for the
rest of the plumbing systems. We are assuming at this point that you have in fact
winterized the rest of the coach and that the water supply is turned off and the
air supply is connected in its place, but turned off for now. Next, locate the
water reservoir for the cold water dispenser (in the crisper drawer) and
carefully remove the fastener holding it in place. You may now either remove the
reservoir - and use a barb union to join the two waterlines together - or you may
turn it upside down so that both lines are on the bottom.
With either choice, you
would now turn on the air supply and operate the dispenser until the all the
water is blown out of the supply lines. The ice maker should be operated until no
more water flows into it and no ice is made. We do not recommend using RV antifreeze
by James Jordan, Country Coach Service Training Manager
• As published in the WINTER 2007 issue of Country Coach Destinations

This was also posted here.....
Wow, I'm glad to know that! Thanks for your post.

Tags
refrigerator, winter