Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Winterizing Residential Refrigerator Question

I have a gravity fill for the fresh water tank. Put some RV antifreeze in it, switched the water pump on and got antifreeze through all the faucets, shower, toilet. Prior to that, of course, I had drained the fresh water tank, blew the water hose with air. I have done this before on my other coaches and never had any problems. Before, I did not have a residential frig with ice maker like I do now. So, I turned the ice maker on and turned the water pump on. A couple of hours later I had 7-10 ice cubes in the ice tray which I emptied. I left it on for three additional hours but saw nothing else. I know there wouldn't be any ice cubes, but shouldn't there be some antifreeze? Thanks for your help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #2

Unless the strainer clogged.

Or if you have a charcoal filter!

You ca, disconnect line at back of unit then apply air and leave it run overnight.

It will blow out the water after a few cycles then leave disconnected.

Do make a large note and attach someplace to reconnect.

Leave loose as yiu will need to flush it out later.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:49 PM   #3

I run antifreeze through the icemaker too and do have antifreeze slushies in the tray. Did you have the bypass hose in the antifreeze jug when you had the icemaker on?
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Unless the strainer clogged.

Or if you have a charcoal filter!

You ca, disconnect line at back of unit then apply air and leave it run overnight.

It will blow out the water after a few cycles then leave disconnected.

Do make a large note and attach someplace to reconnect.

Leave loose as yiu will need to flush it out later.
You mean I have to somehow take the frig out, or the line can be disconnected from inside the frig? I don't think there is access to it from the outside!
Thanks,
Old 10-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #5
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
I run antifreeze through the icemaker too and do have antifreeze slushies in the tray. Did you have the bypass hose in the antifreeze jug when you had the icemaker on?
I just put antifreeze in my fresh water tank. It maybe that all the antifreeze I put in is sucked out. I put in over 12 gallons. This was suggested to me to do it this way, but I don't think I will do it like this next time!
Old 10-22-2015, 09:35 PM   #6

On my 2004 Intrigue I am able to disconnect the water line from the water holding tank to the water pump inlet filter. I made a 3' long hose I can connect to the pump inlet filter. I charge the hose with pink AF and then pump AF thru the system. Nothing goes into the water holding tank. That takes about 8 gallons. The refrig I have is the Samsung with Ice maker. On the bottom of the ice maker tray assembly, above the ice cube holding bin is a button you can push that will dump the new ice cubes. I trip that until I have pure pink coming out.
If you put AF in your holding tank you will have a peach of a time getting the taste out. You might as well get some of the PUR WATER chemical to add to the holding tank in the spring otherwise you will taste the pink AF all summer.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #7
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbburgess View Post
On my 2004 Intrigue I am able to disconnect the water line from the water holding tank to the water pump inlet filter. I made a 3' long hose I can connect to the pump inlet filter. I charge the hose with pink AF and then pump AF thru the system. Nothing goes into the water holding tank. That takes about 8 gallons. The refrig I have is the Samsung with Ice maker. On the bottom of the ice maker tray assembly, above the ice cube holding bin is a button you can push that will dump the new ice cubes. I trip that until I have pure pink coming out.
If you put AF in your holding tank you will have a peach of a time getting the taste out. You might as well get some of the PUR WATER chemical to add to the holding tank in the spring otherwise you will taste the pink AF all summer.
Thanks for the input! I should have done as you said, but putting the antifreeze in the tank was suggested to me by Butch Williams. Actually, I'm not worried about the remaining traces of antifreeze in the the water system as we usually use bottled water for drinking and cooking. I am puzzled, however, as to why i don't get the pink stuff in the ice cube tray?
Old 10-23-2015, 05:50 AM   #8

The pink color may be absorbed by the filter. If you are getting slushies in the ice tray, it has antifreeze in it.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:03 AM   #9

If it has slush in it...I think it worked. I leave the fridge on overnight...give it a chance to go through a couple of cycles...you should be able to stick your finger in the back of the ice maker tray and feel the solution...making sure the fridge is still on...and if that did not freeze...you are in!
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #10

Takes 12 gallons of AF in my fresh water tank to winterize. each spring add fresh water with 1 cup of bleach and run thru system......let stand in system then flush with fresh water. Never a taste residual
Old 10-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #11

Curious as to why one would put antifreeze in the fresh water tank. If it's drained, it's not going to freeze and even if there was a small amount of water left, it won't cause a problem. Most pumps have a take up hose or connection that allows one to bypass the fresh tank. Am I missing something?
Old 10-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #12

Chances are there is still a fair amount of water in the holding tank. I
just drained mine this week and even after I unhooked the hose from the
tank it keeps draining out. When I move the coach it drains out. So, while
there is not enough to damage anything there may be more than enough to
disperse the pink AF to the point where you do not see it.
Originally I used a separate pump to suck AF from the jugs and pressurize
the water/hydrohot system. That worked but I just got tired of fooling with
the pump. If you are unsure - get a cheap pump from some discount store and
make sure the system is all pink - ESPECIALLY if you have a hydrohot
system. Replacing the hydrohot is a $7,500 dollar problem you do not want
to experience.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #13
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
The pink color may be absorbed by the filter. If you are getting slushies in the ice tray, it has antifreeze in it.
No, I'm not getting anything - I have a feeling that the fresh water tank may have run out of antifreeze - I'll check!

BTW, I have a side by side Amana Residential with water and ice on the door.

Thanks,
Old 10-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #14
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
If it has slush in it...I think it worked. I leave the fridge on overnight...give it a chance to go through a couple of cycles...you should be able to stick your finger in the back of the ice maker tray and feel the solution...making sure the fridge is still on...and if that did not freeze...you are in!
Thanks, Jim. I'll look into that!

Tags
refrigerator, winter