Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 06:12 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Would you do it again?

Acid test question for CC fans.... if you lost your current coach (fire, theft, collision) would you buy another CC and, if yes, what model and year would you target?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 07:48 AM   #2

Yes, I would. Same as we have now Allure 470 Sunset Bay 2007.

Wally & Elta Mae
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:35 AM   #3

Yup. I would look for an Intrigue which is what we have now. I think that they are the best bang for the buck. I have decided that a 40-42 footer would be the right size
Old 03-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #4

Yes, I would. I would target one similar to the one that I currently have because we like the floorplan and features. I would not limit myself exclusively to any particular coach model or manufacturer, however.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
Community Moderator

i would. i would look for a 2006-2007 intrigue. like the shape of tilted front; like this

couple things nice to have:
- wood/laminate flooring
- kitchen not on slide
- not 1.5 bathes
- all leather/flexsteel couches
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #6

That's a tough one. Not because I still don't like CC's - I do, great coaches with great components. I like our 04 Allure era coach very well. The High Cascade had the quality of build, as well as the largest galley we've ever found in a coach. Even coaches up to 45'. It's a non slide galley, something we wanted due to no moving pieces, and not losing the 5-6" of upper cabinet space that slide kitchen galley slides.

A few negatives, known when purchased, most important listed top down:
1) ISL vs BIG BLOCK CAT (Available in Intrigue on up.)
2) Hydro Hot has only one Electric Element, vs two elements available in higher end CC's. (Does an OK job on keeping water hot, and heating the coach, without the diesel kicking in. The double element can even support a quick navy shower!)
3) Non slide out generator. (A PITA for service, and ongoing extra costs for labor.)

A minor area, is the micro checking in the dark paints. Minor as it is cosmetic only. And we plan to remove the dark paint and have this changed to a lighter color. (For heat gain avoidance, and lighter colors down behind the Drive/Tag will be easier to maintain fro road grime then our dark deep maroon.)

OK moving on to other CC's, I would again shop and consider:
-42' Intrigue or Manga with BIG CAT
-40' Prevost Concept CC (Yes, older and a good opportunity for ongoing fun on maintaining. But what a classic!!)

I would also again look at Foretravel's with ISM's. Monaco Signature with Detroit, or perhaps an Executive. Newmar Mountain Aire with ISM. Wander lodge LXI.

In general, 2 or 3 slide (non passenger front slide) would be great. Large Block engine with 3 stage Jake, or Retarder if Foretravel. All would be pre major engine smog change era coaches.

For now, and probably until we downsize, we're still modding the 40' Allure. It's good size for getting into many places, with very few times not getting into a spot that we wanted. We've so far:
-Road Kings all around
-Motion Control Unit
-Aero Turbine Exhaust
-Re-Flashed ISL370 to ISL400
-Three headed mirrors added in place of two (Like looking up when backing.)
-800 AH House Battery Bank
-1200W 48V Solar Panels with Classic 150
-Magnum MS2812 PSW
-Sansung residential fridge
-DirecTV Winegard Travler
-Winegard Auto OTA (Working well so far)
-Winegard hand crank up Sensar IV (A/B'd in with Auto, but bought mostly to mount WiFiRanger Mobile Billet with the larger RV antenna (not installed yet) to get up a bit higher, and put down horizontal while traveling.)
-40" Samsung 4K TV (4K was only because this was the best fitting TV for the front cabinets mod's we had made, to get rid of the Head Bumper tube cabinet... Great picture with our Oppo Bluray, but have not tried the new 4K content. From what I've read, 4K will really not be noticed until you get up to the 55-60" or above screens.)
-Replaced Bose 3-2-1 with Marantz receiver, and in ceiling 8" Martin Logan ElectroMotion R speakers. (More interested in HiFi then Surround Sound.)
-Many interior mod's of cabinets, valances, replaced window curtains with day/night screens, etc., etc.

Our 'current plans' is to keep this coach for 10-15 years of usage, so we amortized our costs over those years of smiles by the miles. I say 'current plans', as we've learned by so many of the many RV forum board members that 'life can change what you think you're going to do'!

I strongly recommend Country Coaches, and note that I did not mention Affinity on my lists - but that is a personal choice due to us liking simpler interior designs. The Affinity is the cream of the crop, and anyone looking at Magna's, should for sure check Affinity too, even dropping a few years to stay within budget.

Hard to go wrong with a CC!!!
Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quick answer: YES
Longer answer: Without the ISX 650! Seems there are a lot of problems with this engine that don't manifest themselves in the 600 HP units. Cummins has a new head and valves but, in our case it's a $29,000 repair bill with Cummins doing a good will adjustment of about $10,000.
One thing we found out is that the 45' Magna has about 30% less storage than our 40' Dutch Star. When we get it back from Cummins we have a lot of sorting down to do!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:36 PM   #8

Mr. D, hopefully the engine repairs will be the last major repair on your engine!
As far as doing it again, we would. We will stop by Marathon to check out Prevosts, but if we don't go that route we will probably stay with Country Coach. Foretravels are good, but we have yet to find one anywhere close to our projected price range with heated floors. As far as Country Coaches go, we are somewhat undecided whether we go with a 2002-2003 Affinity--they are few and far between on the market. Advantages include older, pre-emission engine, significantly more interior storage, and much less expensive than our other possibility, a 2007-2008 Magna or Affinity. We will check out CC and Premier coaches this summer, but we are still looking at waiting until next year before we pull the cord.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
laj

i would seek out what i have now, and wouldn't change a thing or want anything different. its perfect for me.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:13 PM   #10

I like the coach we have. If burned up in a fire I would look for a 2002-2004 Affinity. I would only want the two drivers side slides. We have the CAT C12. That is the motor I would want. We have a semi custom interior which we love. Likely that would be hard to find again. But it is what we would like. We bought a slightly older coach than we wanted because we loved the interior of our coach and the floor plan worked for us. We also really!! liked the exterior paint color and the fact that it was all electric.

Sometimes when we go in some friends coaches with double slides up front we really like the big space you get. But every time I open the huge doors and easy access to the passenger side basement I am very thankful we have what we do. We have had 16 people in our coach for dinner so it is not too small, but the visual space you get with opposing slides is nice.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:20 PM   #11

This is my second country coach and I would try to find the same thing if something catastrophic happened. I might try for something a little shorter but disk brakes and pre-emissions were at the top of my list which meant early 08. I think I would have a hard time replacing this machine as there are not a lot to pick from. Knock on wood.
Rod
08 magna
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:44 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
This is my second country coach and I would try to find the same thing if something catastrophic happened. I might try for something a little shorter but disk brakes and pre-emissions were at the top of my list which meant early 08. I think I would have a hard time replacing this machine as there are not a lot to pick from. Knock on wood.
Rod
08 magna
Rod: what engine do you have that is pre-emission?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:59 AM   #13

Mr D, in 2008 CC went to the new emission engine starting with coach #6914 according to Damon Rapozo. Apparently Rod's coach was built earlier than #6914.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:04 AM   #14

After driving the same class c for 12 years. We recently purchased a 02 Intrigue 36' Evening star with the ISL 400. Wow, I cannot believe the power this rocket ship has. Set the cruise on 65, and sit back and let her go. Even on steep grades it doesn't even have to downshift. While getting 9.5 mpg, I am truly amazed. We are so glad that we moved up to the diesel pusher class, and purchasing an older, and better built coach was the right move. We have only owned her since January, but have been on a couple of trips thus far. Plenty of storage space, and love having my dinette facing my campsite. Can't think of one thing that I dislike about the coach. I would look for this exact same coach, because I feel it has a very good combination of livability, and drivability.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote