Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #1

XM/Sirius Radio Lifetime(?)

We have an 04 Allure, that has the combo Pioneer Radio/CD/Multi CD/Sirius/Back-up Screen still in it.

I'm assuming that CC installed a Lifetime Sirius unit in these coaches? As we've never paid for it, and now 5-6 years later it still is working well! (Possible the previous owner had multiple Sirius accounts, and just keeps paying - but I doubt it!)

If this is a Lifetime Sirius account, I'm trying to figure out how to get the number associated with it, so that I can use it with my phone app?

-Does anyone know how to access the specific Sirius account on this unit. Think it was an old XM, as we have On Star too, that moved over to Sirius(?).

-Has anyone been able to set up this account to play on a Droid or Sirius APP?

Hope I'm asking the questions the right way. And admit I may have some, much or all of this wrong in my thinking!

Best to all,
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 11:44 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't think I would open the Sirius hornet's nest if I were in your position! We pay for 4 Sirius accounts.

But I wanted to comment about you thinking XM means older product. My 2016 Caddy SRX has an XM radio in it, as did the last one I had. I love Sirius but I really dislike the XM hardware, if I drive by any tall building or mountainside I lose the signal and it seems to always happen when Phlash is getting ready to tell the end of a great story!!!!

Sirius has told me that the reason I have trouble is where the satellite tracks, XM's is different that Sirius'. That may be what they did to get me off the phone! LOL!!! Not sure but it's bad enough that I really don't think I will be getting another vehicle with an XM radio in it.

On the Road with 8 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:05 PM   #3

Smitty, your Allure has lifetime as did the '04 Allure I used to own. My '03 Magna has lifetime Sirius/AM as well.

I believe that what you need to find the unit number is detailed in the manual either in your file or on line. I have two lifetime and one paid subscription and they are all on the same account. It took a phone call with the unit numbers to make that happen.
gsander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You guys are lucky..... I'd like some of that. I got an Audiovox portable Sirius radio with two docking stations..... one for the coach and one for my F150. We use a small puck antenna on the dash but that is not always ideal. Wish I could figure how to tap into the XM antenna on the roof.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #5

Ranger, you should be able to find the roof antenna lead as it simply drops straight down into the overhead. For those of us with the XM option the antenna then goes to a Pioneer XM receiver which then directs the signal to the Pioneer head unit. My memory tells me that the antenna lead goes to the drivers side overhead.

Good luck.
gsander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsander1 View Post
Ranger, you should be able to find the roof antenna lead as it simply drops straight down into the overhead. For those of us with the XM option the antenna then goes to a Pioneer XM receiver which then directs the signal to the Pioneer head unit. My memory tells me that the antenna lead goes to the drivers side overhead.

Good luck.
IIRC, all my electronic gizmos are in that compartment near the entry door where all the A-V stuff resides. I will poke around in there to see if I find anything that looks like it belongs to the Pioneer head unit. I had thought the coax from the XM antenna would have come directly to the Pioneer unit in the dash.

My little puck antenna that lays on the dash works OK until we start heading north... then, no signal.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #7

Well I finally had a 'Duh!' thought, and recalled that most of the time you can set the tuner to 000 channel, and it will give you the units SiriusXM ID number. Got mine, and then attempted to set up an account on Sirius Droid APP. They kept coming back saying they could not find this. But, this was also after having to enter the SiriusXM account info of name/rank/birthmarks/first born/etc. info!

Talking to a gent in the park, and he said it was his understanding that they only way to establish the mobile SiriusXM app was with a 'Paying account.'. And I of course, do not have that...

So it looks like I'd better just leave this one alone. We pay for Pandora, to skip the adds. Used to have MOG (Really miss this, as it was such a slick piece of software to build playlists, and much higher streaming content then most other services. We'll see what happens now that Apple has consumed them, and rolled some of their techniques into the upcoming iTunes stuff.) Spotify has worked well too, but I admit I cut budget and stopped paying for this...

We have the Sirius XM over the dash Pioneer while driving down the road, and I can just about handle the 6 1/2" generic speakers for about 30 minutes before having to turn them off. We have our phone set in HotSpot mode while traveling, and I can play our 2 channel AVR to get Pandora while traveling down the road. We have 14" Martin Logan Electro Motion R Ceiling speakers. They already have good degree of angled pitch in their assembly, plus we enhanced this by cutting Soni Tubes with more angled pitch to mount the Martin Logan's into. This helps compensate for the less then ideal environment of our rolling carding cans on wheels. Ideally you want 10-12' of from floor to ceiling height, which of course we do not have in our coaches. By putting the Soni Tubes, and angling the speaker from the front towards the rear, we have a pretty good sound stage while sitting in our driver side slide out recliners. I also had the front right speaker turned a few degrees towards the drivers side, as that is our primary sitting area when listening. The 8" low frequency driver does a pretty good job on the base side of sounds. Placing the speaker within 12-14" of the ceiling corners helps reinforce the base presence.

And with all of the other background noise of the less then smooth highways we seem to see now aways - Pandora over the main stereo system, sounds significantly better then the entry level Pioneer 6.5's. The quality of the crossover coupled with the ribbon tweeter, really reduces listening fatigue.

So for now, I'm going to let things go. When post ACA impacted Health Insurance Budgets loosen up when I reach 65, I may then spring for a Mobile APP SiriusXM account. But for now, we'll get by...

Best to all, remember 'Tubes Rule!', may The Sound Be with You!

Smitty
Old 06-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #8

If you have a lifetime subscription my bet is the previous owner did not remove the ESN/Radio ID from his account. He may even simply forgot; I doubt he is still paying for it, ongoing.

If I remember my old Pioneer Avic N3 in my 07 Allure had Sirius with a 12 digit ESN, which made it a Sirius Radio. I replaced it with a Kenwood XM ready dash unit that has the 8 digit Radio ID, which makes it an XM radio. The Sirius satellites travel an elliptical orbit while the XM satellites travel an orbit pretty well straight around the equator.

I have a lifetime that I purchased back in early 2008. I would not go without it. I use the ceiling speakers that are connected to both the dash radio and the surround system; Country coach installed a speaker relay system that flips the front 3 speakers to dash radio when it is turned on. Crappy but it works; there are no rear speakers for the dash radio as wired from factory.

You sound very astute on speakers and systems (Audiophile?); could you possibly take the output from the Pioneer and send to amplifier and connect to your advanced speakers?

The dash radio SiriusXM antenna on my unit comes down from the roof in the drivers side pillar (cover comes off) and attaches to the back of the dash radio behind the dash.

I can remove my dash panel behind the dash by simply sliding the upholstered casing towards the windshield. Everything behind the dash becomes visible, especially the dash radio wiring, including the antenna wires and the speaker relay.

To access the account with the radio, SiriusXm requires the original billing name and address. I had to go though this procedure with a technician on the phone to get my account info and set up online. I now stream my sirius account over the internet into my home stereo (Bose Soundtouch 30).

Hope this info helps a bit; I got carried away.

Brian
BrianGlenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
If you have a lifetime subscription my bet is the previous owner did not remove the ESN/Radio ID from his account. He may even simply forgot; I doubt he is still paying for it, ongoing.

If I remember my old Pioneer Avic N3 in my 07 Allure had Sirius with a 12 digit ESN, which made it a Sirius Radio. I replaced it with a Kenwood XM ready dash unit that has the 8 digit Radio ID, which makes it an XM radio. The Sirius satellites travel an elliptical orbit while the XM satellites travel an orbit pretty well straight around the equator.

I have a lifetime that I purchased back in early 2008. I would not go without it. I use the ceiling speakers that are connected to both the dash radio and the surround system; Country coach installed a speaker relay system that flips the front 3 speakers to dash radio when it is turned on. Crappy but it works; there are no rear speakers for the dash radio as wired from factory.

You sound very astute on speakers and systems (Audiophile?); could you possibly take the output from the Pioneer and send to amplifier and connect to your advanced speakers?

The dash radio SiriusXM antenna on my unit comes down from the roof in the drivers side pillar (cover comes off) and attaches to the back of the dash radio behind the dash.

I can remove my dash panel behind the dash by simply sliding the upholstered casing towards the windshield. Everything behind the dash becomes visible, especially the dash radio wiring, including the antenna wires and the speaker relay.

To access the account with the radio, SiriusXm requires the original billing name and address. I had to go though this procedure with a technician on the phone to get my account info and set up online. I now stream my sirius account over the internet into my home stereo (Bose Soundtouch 30).

Hope this info helps a bit; I got carried away.

Brian
Hi Brian - Not sure about astute on HiFi, but I sure am a fan of Tube gear! And for full disclosure, I went on more then I meant to on sound - the curse of vino on my intake, and some good tunes playing!

The AVR I purchased, mostly for two channel HiFi, as well as 'it fit the cabinet', was the slim Marantz NR series. It does not include a SiriusXM Tuner capability. I did splice into the high power output front R/L speaker feeds from the in dash Pioneer (No Audio Out RCA jacks.) Added a filter to the feed I used into RCA Analog Auxiliary In jacks of the Marantz NR. I set the volume as low as possible, just enough to get some 'out'. Then yes the Marantz to turn up the sounds for listening. Even with the inline filters, I get too much - well, distortion and other garbage sound - from the feed.

Have about two hours of labor in cable feeding, and about $150 or so into components and cabling materials. Felt it was worth it, as I'd read others have been OK on down this. I suppose we all have our own tolerance levels on sound reproduction - on a windy noises day of RV traveling - I suppose it is OK. But when not moving, and kicking back for some tunes - I just don't use this Auxiliary Source of sound.

I keep watching Craigslist for Focal 6.5, or even 6X9 speakers. I have some left over Amps from previous car systems, and could add these to the Pioneer's L/R Front Speaker outputs, and abandon the feed to the AVR. But I keep looking at the Martin Logan's, and stubbornly was trying to feed the sound to them. (I admit after a few months of searching, these were a compromise on what I wanted, vs what I was willing to spend. Just missed a pair of ceiling Meridian's that would have been better. And, drove 2 1/2 hours for a pair of good quality B&W ceiling speakers - to find out the gent sold them to a lady 20 minutes before I reached his home. Knew I was coming, and was ready to purchase if they were in the condition he claimed - so ticked me off a bit! But suspect they were not as in 'pristine' condition as he had claimed, as I looked over other components he had for sale, claims to be in '10' condition, that IMO were not so... That is when on the drive home, I decided to go with Martin Logan's new. They could be made to fit, and the sound was much nicer then the Bose 3-2-1, let alone the in dash Pioneer feed to the 6.5's. Not at all unpleased with them.

And heck, no vino tonight - but still rambling on... Kind of makes me chuckle some. As when we removed the tube TV in our bedroom, I tried hard to convince the DW to let me use the cabinet space for my garage systems VPI Scoutmaster Turntable. Almost had her convinced, but blew it, when I talked about taking some closet space to put in a few racks for LP storage. GAME OVER on that one, she said no way she was giving up shoe space, for a bunch of LP's!!!

Yep, still going on... Maybe I should get a glass of vino, and leave all of you alone!

Best to all, have fun,
Smitty
Old 06-27-2016, 11:10 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wish ours had the lifetime account! When I tune to it I get a message on the tuner that I'm listening to a sample and to buy a subscription.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio