RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:15 PM   #1

Yet another new owner!

Well... I just spent more than I really ought to have for someplace to sleep for the next three months.

Meet The Lummox:

She's a 1991 Country Coach Concept 40'. Someone obviously loved her every bit as much as he loved his dog, because although I know he owned a dog (and had at least one child) the interior is immaculate, and the only thing wrong with the exterior is peeling clear-coat.

I just flew down to Los Angeles, picked her up, and drove her back up to San Francisco. After trying to book a day's lessons on how to drive her, and having that not actually happen, I got to learn by doing. Eek! And I'm more or less learning everything else that way too. Reading the manual, and leaving her with an RV repair place to work out a few kinks.

I'm going to have a lot of questions. One of which is, this thing claims to have a hidden safe. Pretty well hidden, I guess!

alang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Welcome to the CC group.

Beautiful Rig and built for enjoyment.

Clear Coat is usually a problem after 15 years or so. I have scraped and then applied new clear coat on the white parts of my rig. My attempts lasted only 3 years.

Now I am just using the Zep Wet Look Floor Wax in place of Clear Coat. Much less expensive and time consuming than paint.

You might find the safe under the north south bed.....

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:47 PM   #3

Congrats. They were coaches well above the norm in that era. And I felt ahead of their time, a leader in the higher end coaches, that many manufactures of that day had to 'pick up their game' to respond to.

Go slow, have fun, and relax.

Cannot help you on the safe. My coach was supposed to have a cabinet that provided an endless amount of vino. What they neglected to tell me, is was responsible for restocking. So mistakes happen in as far as what a coach is supposed to have!

Enjoy,
Smitty
Old 08-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #4

Yet another new owner!

Congratulations on the beautiful coach! I have a Ď90 Concept and am only about an hour north of you in Santa Rosa. Love the coach. Iíve been through almost every system on mine and would be more than happy to share any experience and knowledge Iíve gained over the past few years to answer questions, of which you will have many. As for the safe, look at the base of the cabinet over the nightstand next to the bed on the driverís side. The bottom of the cabinet with be carpeted. You will find a couple finger holes hidden in the carpet. Use those to lift the hidden cover and you will find the safe underneath. Hopefully the combination is with the coach manuals somewhere. Feel free to PM me anytime and Iíd be happy to give you my contact info. There are some Concept owners on this forum with whom you will benefit in getting to know.

Russ
1990 Country Coach Concept 36' Anteres
1997 Jeep Wrangler, Blue Ox
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Welcome to the CC group.
Now I am just using the Zep Wet Look Floor Wax in place of Clear Coat. Much less expensive and time consuming than paint.
Thanks! How long do you find that the wax lasts?
Old 08-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #6

Unsafe safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsponsford View Post
As for the safe, look at the base of the cabinet over the nightstand next to the bed on the driverís side. The bottom of the cabinet with be carpeted. You will find a couple finger holes hidden in the carpet. Use those to lift the hidden cover and you will find the safe underneath.
Huh! That's really funny, I actually ended up sticking my hand down in that very area on the other side of the coach (trying to figure out where I can fit a UPS to run my CPAP, for when I have no coach power and don't want to run a generator or inverter all night). Took out the drawer, felt all the way down, and thought, 'huh, plenty of room in there', but didn't even look at the other side.

As for the combination... haven't seen it yet. But it might be. I have no idea what to do if it's not, though.

And I'll definitely drop you a line, when I have a touch more time. Thank you very much for the offer.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alang View Post
Huh! That's really funny, I actually ended up sticking my hand down in that very area on the other side of the coach (trying to figure out where I can fit a UPS to run my CPAP, for when I have no coach power and don't want to run a generator or inverter all night).

The battery bank and inverter in your coach basically is a giant UPS. If the batteries are healthy you should be able to run the inverter and CPAP all night with no problem. The inverter should only create a small draw and you can leave it on 24/7 if you like. If youíre dry camping you will need to run your generator for about three hours total each day to top off the batteries for the night.

We used our coach when we had to evacuate last October for the Tubbs Fire. We ended up at the fairgrounds in Petaluma after a couple days. The first night we were there another couple showed up around midnight with their RV trailer. I stepped out to see they wanted help with anything to get settled in. They were completely frazzled from being evacuated. They were also in a panic as they had no means of powering his CPAP. I told them not to worry and just plugged their trailer into one of our coachís 20 amp exterior outlets. We were able to power their entire trailer along with ours for entire week we were there. I only had to run the generator a few hours each day to recharge the batteries before evening.

I hope you never have to evacuate for any reason, but if you do these coaches make an excellent mobile evacuation unit. Keep your coach ready to go at all times if possible and with a full tank of fuel. There was a run on gas and fuel during the fires and all the stations, if they were even open, weíre running out of fuel. Luckily, we always store the coach with full fuel. That was already our practice as a convenience just so there was one less thing to have to do when leaving on a trip. Now we realize thereís the added benefit of being more prepared in an emergency. Youíre going to have to buy the fuel anyways so you may as well do it up front.

Russ
Old 08-14-2018, 10:06 PM   #8

OP - Sorry for the slight highjacking!

Russ - I'm with you. And salute the usage of our for fun RV's, as also a 'for emergency' escape unit. That was great info to share.

-Full fuel
-Batteries fully maintained
-Full water
-Empty Gray/Black
-We keep our coach fridge on 7/24, with 80% dedicated/repetitive stock (So we don't need to unload or reload all of it when not traveling.) Lots of stuff in the freezer too.
-Canned and dried foods. (Dogs too!)
-A month supply of any medicines
-Yearly we rotate flashlight batteries stock into the home, keeping our freshest always in the coach for emergency usage

I'll stop. But with fires, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc., etc. - None us ever know when we may need an emergency escape pod!

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Old 08-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsponsford View Post
The battery bank and inverter in your coach basically is a giant UPS.
Oh, I know. And if you're getting the idea I'm the belt-and-suspenders kind of guy, you're right. But here's the thing: if something wonky happens with the inverter or coach battery, and I have a UPS, then I never even have to wake up. I've awakened in the middle of the night when my CPAP shut off suddenly. It's definitely not a nice feeling.

Quote:
We were able to power their entire trailer along with ours for entire week we were there. I only had to run the generator a few hours each day to recharge the batteries before evening.
That's awesome, and very nice of you.

Quote:
I hope you never have to evacuate for any reason, but if you do these coaches make an excellent mobile evacuation unit. Keep your coach ready to go at all times if possible and with a full tank of fuel.
Great advice. Unfortunately won't really help me much, since I'm going to have to store my vehicle rather a long way away from my (downtown San Francisco rent-controlled!) apartment. I'm actually looking for a place that I can park it... my tentative plan, if I can find someone willing, is to rent it out as an Airbnb when I'm not using it, and split the proceeds: 50% for upkeep, cleaning, and maintenance, 25% for the person with the driveway, and 25% for me. Not sure if I'll be able to find anyone I trust, though, so the backup plan is a fenced-in storage area with surveillance, pay by the month, far enough away from SF that it doesn't cost more than $100 or so a month. In either case, it won't exactly be a convenient escape vehicle.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #10

You forget the backup wine.....
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:18 PM   #11

Check your cap power as many are low voltage with a power adaptor.

If it is native 12 volts then make a 12 volt connection.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Check your cap power as many are low voltage with a power adaptor.

If it is native 12 volts then make a 12 volt connection.
Yeah, in the long run that's the right way to do things but I don't feel quite comfortable enough just yet soldering bits together to risk my $1000 CPAP on that, so...
Old 08-24-2018, 10:54 PM   #13

Updates

I just got the beast back from some repairs. I have a little experience with auto mechanics stuff (took a class, did a little brake-and-oil-change work) and know I was fleeced a bit, but I was under serious time constraints so trading time for money was an acceptable tradeoff. They rebuilt the alternator, which I think really did need doing, and I am swapping out the batteries myself, about which more later. They also did fix the dash AC and recharge it, so that's nice. Not so nice were the other $2500 worth of 'repairs' that were amazingly simple little things that they drastically overcharged me for.

Oh, FYI, I did find the safe: it's actually under the bed. Unfortunately the mattress that the previous owner put in there is incredibly heavy AND the jacks that are supposed to hold it up are totally toast (as are all the jacks in the whole damn coach) so it's going to have to remain very safe indeed for the moment.

I have a bunch more questions but I *think* it's more polite to post them in separate threads? So I'll maybe trickle them out one at a time.

Thanks for all the useful info!
Old 08-25-2018, 07:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alang View Post
I just got the beast back from some repairs. I have a little experience with auto mechanics stuff (took a class, did a little brake-and-oil-change work) and know I was fleeced a bit, but I was under serious time constraints so trading time for money was an acceptable tradeoff. They rebuilt the alternator, which I think really did need doing, and I am swapping out the batteries myself, about which more later. They also did fix the dash AC and recharge it, so that's nice. Not so nice were the other $2500 worth of 'repairs' that were amazingly simple little things that they drastically overcharged me for.

Oh, FYI, I did find the safe: it's actually under the bed. Unfortunately the mattress that the previous owner put in there is incredibly heavy AND the jacks that are supposed to hold it up are totally toast (as are all the jacks in the whole damn coach) so it's going to have to remain very safe indeed for the moment.

I have a bunch more questions but I *think* it's more polite to post them in separate threads? So I'll maybe trickle them out one at a time.

Thanks for all the useful info!

Sent you a PM.

Russ