Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #1

2015 Greyhawk-unusable in summer months

My husband and I bought a new 2015 Greyhawk 29ME last October and have had too many problems to list here. Our main problem is that while the coach is in motion we are unable to use the generator to run the A/C to cool the back of the coach. We actually had to drive home from Colorado in the middle of the night so we wouldn't cook the kids in the 100 weather. We took our coach in to two different Cummins and into the service department of our dealership several times with nothing being resolved. I finally emailed Jayco and received a reply saying they were looking into it. I emailed again and asked to be kept informed because we have two more trips planned this summer and they replied that they would. I then decided to call so I could find out a timeline, because of our upcoming trip and was told that the technicians were working hard to solve these issues and that hopefully by September they would know something. I asked if this was a widespread problem and was told that honestly it was! Why on earth the dealership wasn't notified that these issues were happening elsewhere, I can't fathom! Does anyone out there have these same issues?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yikes, what's stopping the generator from running while driving?

By the way, that just stinks, sorry you're having the "RV battle".

Have you posted any to the Jayco Owners Class C Forum located at -> http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5/

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two problem areas for a Oman generator that cause it to work ok when stationary but stop when in motion. Fuel pump bad and the low oil level cutoff. Ensure the oil is filled to the tippy top, not just the full mark.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #4

We don't know why it stops running, it just kind of putters out! Our dealership put in a new fuel pump a week ago and said the old one was definitely bad but it didn't help at all! Thanks for the link, I'll post there next!
Old 08-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #5

The oil level was fine and the service department put in a new fuel pump, both Cummins and the service department were left scratching their heads! I'm really hoping it's not a wiring issue, I don't know how hard that would be to fix!
Old 08-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #6

We had a similar problem after installing a new Onan Microquiet 4000 generator in our 28 ft. TREK. It ran fine when stationary, but would shut down when driving. An Onan tech in California said a known problem was that the generator was too far from the main gas tank for its fuel pump to work consistently. He recommended I install an auxiliary fuel pump near the main gas tank, and this cured the problem.

The generator fuel line had recently been replaced. Also, I sort of remember reading that the low oil sensor/cut off was no longer used on the Microquiet models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanandcolle View Post
My husband and I bought a new 2015 Greyhawk 29ME last October and have had too many problems to list here. Our main problem is that while the coach is in motion we are unable to use the generator to run the A/C to cool the back of the coach. We actually had to drive home from Colorado in the middle of the night so we wouldn't cook the kids in the 100 weather. We took our coach in to two different Cummins and into the service department of our dealership several times with nothing being resolved. I finally emailed Jayco and received a reply saying they were looking into it. I emailed again and asked to be kept informed because we have two more trips planned this summer and they replied that they would. I then decided to call so I could find out a timeline, because of our upcoming trip and was told that the technicians were working hard to solve these issues and that hopefully by September they would know something. I asked if this was a widespread problem and was told that honestly it was! Why on earth the dealership wasn't notified that these issues were happening elsewhere, I can't fathom! Does anyone out there have these same issues?
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:48 PM   #7

Thanks so much, that makes a lot of sense! I'll tell Jayco (if they ever call me back!) I'm hoping that they fix out problem, if not it doesn't sound like too expensive of a fix!
Old 08-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #8

I have a similar problem with my new Jayco Alante 2016. I can run the generator until it gets to be about 90 degrees outside and then it stops. As you mentioned this makes the RV unusable in the summer and beyond as I live in Florida where it's 90 half the year!!!

We just returned from a miserable trip in 95 degree heat with kids and pets and no AC in the back of the coach!

A call to Jayco revealed they were aware of this and as they told you they are looking into it. No call back yet and I am not sure I am going to get one!!! Their only suggestion was to take the bin door off to give more air flow as they think it is overheating the gas line and causing a vapor lock.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #9

Fuel pump. Really, it's the fuel pump. Had the same problem. Took it into a Cummins certified center and they diagnosed and replaced the fuel pump. No problems since, even in AZ summer heat. Did I mention it is the fuel pump?
Old 08-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Two problem areas for a Oman generator that cause it to work ok when stationary but stop when in motion. Fuel pump bad and the low oil level cutoff. Ensure the oil is filled to the tippy top, not just the full mark.
What type/grade of oil is used for the generator, please?

Thanks.
LandN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #11

They replaced the fuel pump a couple of weeks ago and still the problem persists. We talked to a different customer service rep at Jayco a couple of days ago, he said it might be that the fuel line is collapsing and we might try a braided fuel line. Also he mentioned that it could be a bad capacitor on the A/C, he said the capacitor might be pulling too many amps. Jayco also suggested taking our RV into a different service department, it's there now and we have our fingers crossed!