Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #1

Smile 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS

I am looking to purchase a new 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this RV. What you liked what you didn't like, any issues that you ran into. any information would be helpful in our decision making process.

Thanks

cornelljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Hi there! We purchased a 2016 Greyhawk 31FS in November of 2015. Where have we been? Lots of places. We live in Florida so "anywhere" to get out of Florida is a long way. We use it for any trips to see family, back to NC, beach trips and regularly short weekend trips to get it out. It's myself, my wife and two kids ages 10 and 6.

The latest big trip we took was 5700 miles round trip - Yellowstone National Park. It took us 17 days in total to make it - July 8 - 23rd. What a blast and was non-stop. The Greyhawk performed very well.

Some stuff since you are considering one:
*I would buy this unit again for sure
*It drives well, it's small enough for state parks and to get around "downtown" areas. I drove this one around the Atlanta, GA aquarium and was comfortable.
*It's big enough that the kids have their spaces and stuff they like to bring on trips - toys, stuffed animals, Kindle's, etc
*The kids love the bunks. Get the DVD's if you get the bunks.
*The wooden doors vs. the accordion type work well and are nice
*Overall space inside is great. Basement storage is limited but I've had no issues - made one modification and it works for us
*TV's, closets, beds, tank sizes (black, grey, fresh) are good. No issues with how we use it.
*Leveling jacks - work well and I use the heck out of them.
*I don't like the Girard tankless water heater. You can read a lot about them on these forums. I have figured it out, but I still don't let my kids do the shower themselves. The temperature of the water is very dependent on pressure, ground water temperature, temperature setting on the the heater, and how far you turned the knobs. We have learned to live with it but I would trade it for a 6 Gal. I have read where there is a Gerard generation 3 that is supposed to solve this - if I were negotiating again I would demand that unit is installed and not Gen 1 or 2.
*Few things we have had to fix but I would call that normal - Some drawers popping out or being loose, trim pieces on the couch coming loose from the kids using it as a step for the over the cab bunk.
*Engine power is adequate but reliable. That v10 is in a lot of motor homes. The transmission will shift a lot when driving in hilly areas - expected.
*But I had no concerns driving over The Rockies up to 12,000' and everywhere else from the Grand Tetons to Yellowstone and flat Kansas.
*We did come close to overheating as the gauge will rise quickly when you change elevation fast. It took a few miles before it adjusted to the thinner air. There is also a knob on the generator for high altitude running - forgot that and thought something was wrong.
*It gets hot in there. Nebraska and South Dakota were baking (and so if Florida for that matter) so if you are trying to cool the whole thing with just the cab AC it won't do it. We ran the generator a lot and kept the coach AC running a good bit.
*I don't like that there isn't a shade for the door. I'm not sure what I will do about that and I believe this was changed on the 2017.

I could keep going. For our family, it's a great unit and I can't imagine needing anything else for a very long time....unless we had another $100k to plop down on a Jayco Seneca for the Freightliner chassis...Maybe one day.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:36 PM   #3

Hello. Not sure about the 2016, but we have the 2017 and it is awesome. We have about 3,200 miles on it and it has performed flawless. I agree with last post...solid doors for bunk and bedroom are key. We purchased a carrier that goes in the hitch to carry wheelchairs we have. Plenty of power. I put some video walkthroughs up on YouTube if you want to watch. Just search my user ID (Tantsits) and you will see 4 different videos. The only thing I found is the hot water is hard to get consistent in the shower with the tankless heater. Still playing with that. Good luck.

Tags
jayco