Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #1

2018 Jayco Seneca 37K

Have my '99 Monaco Windsor for sale and have a deposit on a new Seneca.
Never thought I would be buying a new diesel coach but the DW is on board with it so decided to go for it.
Did a lot of reading on the Seneca and most owners here on the forum love them. I have driven 2 units...a 2014 and a new 2018 and I love the feeling of driving a truck instead of a house down the highway.
Anybody have any bad stories on Jayco or the Seneca??
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #2

Well.....after three days and no comments then I suppose everyone loves Jayco and the Seneca!!!

How about some good comments on the Seneca???

I can let everyone know that Jayco made a chassis change mid-year for the 2018 model....it now is built on the Freightliner S2RV chassis with 360 hp, a rear single fill 100 gal fuel tank and exhaust brake. These brand new models are just now hitting dealer lots.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #3

Loving our 2016 HJ. Drives wonderfully, has the typical nits and whatnot, but overall very pleased with the TRUCK. Some folks are having difficulty filling the new single fuel tank though. Lots of threads over on the Jayco forum.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:19 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply, I saw that post about the fuel tank, maybe his vent line is plugged or partially plugged but since the filler is fairly high you would think the fuel would flow right in as fast as you could pump it.
I'm having second thoughts on the Seneca, not that it's not a very nice coach but coming from a class A diesel pusher I'm thinking I won't be satisfied long term..... buying new, you better keep it a long time or really lose a ton.
I've read post where people say the Seneca has tons of power but the two new ones I drove had very lackluster acceleration since they are not turbocharged.
I realize I will be giving up some storage space and cabinet space going to a class C but it is still a 39 foot coach bumper-to-bumper so it's really not small.
Couple of other things I'm used to having is airbag dump, auxiliary start switch and of course the front engine Diesel is a little noisier.
There's so many choices and options out there in the $200,000 range so it makes a person go crazy trying to get a coach with the fewest negatives!!!!
Old 12-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #5

Crossingover..... I can't post on the Jayco owners forum since I'm not a member, so I'll tell you what I was just told by my salesman........ he filled up the 2018 that we were supposed to purchase last Saturday but for other reasons have backed out of the deal, but he drove it a couple blocks to the truckstop and filled it up with no issues he said. He wasn't gone a long time so I feel like he's probably telling the truth.... it is the new chassis with the single fill rear tank.
If you want you can post over there and tell that guy he must have a issue with his vent line because the filler is obviously not below the tank is no reason the fuel should not flow downhill.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorgan View Post
I'm having second thoughts on the Seneca, not that it's not a very nice coach but coming from a class A diesel pusher I'm thinking I won't be satisfied long term..... buying new, you better keep it a long time or really lose a ton.
I've read post where people say the Seneca has tons of power but the two new ones I drove had very lackluster acceleration since they are not turbocharged.
Yes the Super C segment is very niche but we were very drawn to the ease of engine access for maintenance and added safety the FRED layout offers. We did not purchase new (but it might as well been new the little use the original owner put it through) and won't ever purchase new to get that big discount and bugs worked out. AFAIK, all the Seneca's have Cummins turbodiesels so the lackluster performance you experienced was likely the 'economy' shift schedule programmed into the Allison TCM. A lot of us have had the TCM reflashed with the 'performance' schedule with wonderful results.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #7

Interesting....... The regional Jayco rep who I have spoken to numerous times definitely told me it is not turbo charged when I asked him the question. I don't recall seeing the turbo charger when I looked in the engine compartment but I was not specifically looking in there for it.
Also there is no boost gauge on the panel.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Interesting....... The regional Jayco rep who I have spoken to numerous times definitely told me it is not turbo charged when I asked him the question. I don't recall seeing the turbo charger when I looked in the engine compartment but I was not specifically looking in there for it.
Also there is no boost gauge on the panel.
Doesn't have a boost gauge on the dash; most of us have the Scan Gauge accessory that monitors and displays a bunch of parameters including boost. Can't spot the exhaust turbo itself but if you follow the air plumbing, it will lead you to it. Your Jayco rep is not knowledgeable of the Seneca and it's Cummins ISB powerplant.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
mmorgan, I moved from a diesel pusher to the Seneca. My suggestion is the HJ floorplan - that's they only way you'll get reasonable storage in the bedroom. One thing I really miss is using the front seats as part of the living area so you give up a lot of usable space. On the Jayco with S2 chassis the seats don't swivel. They do in the Renegade Valencia.
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:46 AM   #10

We were literally at the dealership ready to drive away in an HJ model Seneca when we discovered a knock in the air compressor. There was definitely something wrong so we walked away from that one.
For almost the same money we ended up with a 2018 Fleetwood Pace Arrow LXE 38K.....love it so far, much roomier, more storage and overall just much nicer interior.
But with any coach, there are a few things I don’t care for but you can never find one that is 100% perfect!!!!
Old 12-21-2017, 06:07 AM   #11

Quote:
We were literally at the dealership ready to drive away in an HJ model Seneca when we discovered a knock in the air compressor. There was definitely something wrong so we walked away from that one.
For almost the same money we ended up with a 2018 Fleetwood Pace Arrow LXE 38K.....love it so far, much roomier, more storage and overall just much nicer interior.
But with any coach, there are a few things I don’t care for but you can never find one that is 100% perfect!!!!
Glad you found your rig! BTW that knock is normal because Jayco doesn't spec the Seneca's with an air dryer in the compressed air system. With the dryer installed, the knock disappears.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:56 PM   #12

The older Senecas for sure do not have an air dryer but I’m 99 percent certain this new 2018 chassis has the dryer. And also we drove 100 miles to listen to another one with the same chassis and it absolutely did not have a knock.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:32 PM   #13

The 2018.5’s on the new Freightliner S2RV chassis does have an air drier on it. The pump does start making a louder noise, what some may call a knocking noise right before it purges the moisture, then goes quiet. This knock happens for about 20-30 seconds before the moisture purge and is normal.
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
Where did you get the transmission reflash performed? Are there any adverse warranty considerations to doing this? Did it change fuel consumption? I just purchased a 2018 Seneca that I will be picking up in the next week or so. Also interested in the scan gauge mentioned in another post...
Thanks!
bjeff77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco