RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Anyone having Jayco C Class slides leaking? Any knowledge on slides are welcome!

My husband and i are looking at possibly buying a 2016 Jayco REDHAWK 23XM for sale nearby. It's always been covered when not using it. The price is good and we feel that the owners seem to have taken care of it. There was one other owner before them, but according to the person selling, the family that owned it before camped in it one time and traded it in for a larger RV. This RV model is 26.25 feet, and is a C Class. The only problem he mentioned having when they were camping, was that the slide leaked (maybe both, but I don't know for sure). He had it resealed, and it leaked again. He said that he figured out that by using a level, then it would not leak, and that's how he's avoided that problem ever since. He said that the water had no where else to go but inside to leak if it wasn't level. I have no clue because this would be our first RV.

I need some help if y'all don't mind. Should we be concerned about the fact that it has leaked regardless of how it turned out? It only leaked camping, so I have no clue if there is some kind of damage that you can't see. And they were aware of it, and did something about it. I only think it happened a couple of times before they found a solution. The other question is why is this happening, if it's been resealed? Shouldn't Jayco have made the slide so it won't leak, regardless of how perfectly level you have it? Or is this just a camping reality for all who own RV's with slides?

Many thanks for your help y'all!

SeektheSon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2019, 03:30 AM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
I have a 2018 Jayco Redhawk. I have not experienced any active leaking during our year using it, but I quickly learned that if you don't have a slide topper, you must clean off the slide roof before retracting. Leaving water (or debris) on the roof and then retracting will surely result in water in the interior.

JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheDJ View Post
I have a 2018 Jayco Redhawk. I have not experienced any active leaking during our year using it, but I quickly learned that if you don't have a slide topper, you must clean off the slide roof before retracting. Leaving water (or debris) on the roof and then retracting will surely result in water in the interior.
Thank you for your input! That makes sense. I called Jayco today to quiz him as well, and he mentioned that debris on the slide could clog up the drip cup, and then the water would not drain off. He also said that if the seal is ripped it could leak. I imagine that debris could cause the seal to rip. I think slide toppers might be a good thing. The only thing negative I can think about having them is that they could rip in high winds if you don't retract your slide during a storm. And you couldn't lay in bed in storm in the RV we want, because you would have to fold the bed up in two to retract the slide.

But in any case, sounds like a good idea to at least clean off the tops of the slide before taking off! Thank you for your help!

Is there anything else that you have experienced with your Jayco you might think is worth mentioning?
Old 03-27-2019, 03:33 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
No major negative experiences come to mind. No matter what brand/model you choose, enjoy it and have fun!
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheDJ View Post
No major negative experiences come to mind. No matter what brand/model you choose, enjoy it and have fun!
Thank you so much, and Happy Trails to you and yours!
Old 03-31-2019, 07:14 AM   #6

Yes, our 2018 Jayco Melbourne 24K bed slide in has leaked on us already. We were very slightly leaning forward and the bed is out the back of the RV, so I am contributing the slight forward pitch to the leaking in of water...the water on bed slide would run toward the coach and find a small crevice. I bought a second pack of the yellow waffles to make sure we are either level or leaning backward. And yes, we do sweep off the slide outs before retracting them...we use the overhead bunk ladder outside to get up there an broom it off.
The other downside of slide outs when it is raining, is that when you retract them we always have to wipe them down as a lot of water comes into the coach with the slide out.

Jayco is definitely sub-par in terms of quality. If it isn't too late, spend a little more and go with a Winnebago.
imazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:47 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by imazman View Post
Yes, our 2018 Jayco Melbourne 24K bed slide in has leaked on us already. We were very slightly leaning forward and the bed is out the back of the RV, so I am contributing the slight forward pitch to the leaking in of water...the water on bed slide would run toward the coach and find a small crevice. I bought a second pack of the yellow waffles to make sure we are either level or leaning backward. And yes, we do sweep off the slide outs before retracting them...we use the overhead bunk ladder outside to get up there an broom it off.
The other downside of slide outs when it is raining, is that when you retract them we always have to wipe them down as a lot of water comes into the coach with the slide out.

Jayco is definitely sub-par in terms of quality. If it isn't too late, spend a little more and go with a Winnebago.

Thank you for your honesty and advice! We appreciate it a lot! We haven't bought anything yet. Seems like we get close and then we back off. Kind of waiting for that aha moment when we feel like something is right and have peace about buying it. If it's meant to be, that day will come...hopefully sooner than later. We have looked at Forest River Class C's alot, and I know they all seem to have sub par quality, unless you want to pay a bit more for something. You're the first one I've had to say to me go buy Winnebago. I usually hear them say stuff like they are priced too high. Or you're just paying for the name. And one dealer dropped carrying them, for reasons that he would not explain to me. So we quit looking at them. I will keep that in mind though and appreciate your candor once again. I have heard many talk of Tiffin being a good name as well. They are a bit pricier though. We have champagne taste on a hot dog budget!

Tags
jayco, leak, led, slide