Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #1

Bought 2014 Jayco Melbourne 29D

Some issues identified in a 250-mile shakedown run. Would like to contact other Melbourne owners to compare experiences with getting various types of squawks resolved. This is our first experience with a motorhome; we previously had an Airstream travel trailer. This beast has a lot more stuff that can go wrong!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Good morning. I own a 2008 Jayco Melbourne 29D and will be glad to share info. One thing I would recommend up front is to get your front alignment checked. Did you get the new J-ride offered? Big improvement with additional rear sway bar or whatever. I know it has reduced the tail wag. Second thing is get it weighed after you have it loaded and then check your tire inflation for your weight. Everythink affects your steering and ride! It is a woderful coach, go and enjoy. Don't forget it has a wide tail swing when turning due to long rear overhang.

Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #3

Yes, we do have JRide but, of course, we have no prior experience to compare it with. We are currently in the mode of exercising all of the various systems and, in some cases, wondering if it is SUPPOSED to work this way. Thanks for the tips. We are currently in a campground in Iowa, and I guess at the moment we feel that it's "so far so good" with the Melbourne. As experience accumulates, I'll be back on here. This is an impressive motorhome; seems like you get a lot for the money.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
You are correct about a lot of coach for the value. Yours have upgrades that we would love to have. The leveling jacks for firmer camping with less shake, the J-ride system, the side cameras for lane change, and the nicer gas cooktop grate, the small nightstands next to bed. Etc
We pull a Chevy HHR with roadmaster evenbrake system, roadmaster falcon all terrain bars.
Of course we all can wish for 3" more on each side of dinette, 6" more each way in shower, and 6" more between bed and back wall to get my size 12 feet in to make the bed. I would reverse the under sink kitchen cabinet door so I could open it with slide in. I put two vent covers on roof over the front and bedroom fans so We could use without worrying about rain. Put second coach battery in for more boondocking, bought Progressive 30 amp surge protector and it has saved me twice now, bought a 50 to 30 amp plug for places with only 50 amp power, bought waterflow regulator for pressure control, and water filter.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I recommend you buy a 30 amp extension cord and a second drinking water hose for the crazy times in some campgrounds where the pedistal is on wrong side or at front of coach. I keep the spare under the couch. There is always new toys at camping world, lol. Just remember everything adds weight to coach and lightens the wallet.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #6

Thanks for the great tips. ... We just returned from 2100 miles with the new Melbourne 29D and here are the issues that have bubbled to the top of our list of squawks:

1) The shower is virtually unusable because, when you select equal parts hot and cold, what you get out of the shower head is continually cycling back and forth and back and forth between full cold and full hot. Strange!

2) Water pump generally does not run continuously when you turn on a tap. It is turning on and off at about twice per second, with bursts of water coming out of the faucet and lights dimming from the current surges. If you remove aerator on kitchen faucet this stops the surging, pump runs continuously. Seems to relate to the amount of back pressure that the pump controller detects.

3) Must do a great deal of cranking (not continuously, of course) of the generator before it will start.

Have you experienced, or heard of, any of these problems? I want to try to understand this stuff better before taking it back to the dealer.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
1. Have not had this problem with shower, once we get hot water. We do have to be aware of amount of hot when on electric. Electric does not maintain or reheat as quickly as gas, so we may flip gas on for shower.
2. Back pressure regulator ? Does affect pump switch, however mine is not that sensitive. I did remove the arerator on kitchen faucet and install a pur faucette water filter with flavor attachment.
3. My genny does require a moderate, not extensive, amount of cranking due to distance it pulls fuel from gas tank. It does seem as if it drains back into tank sometimes. Also if I don't crank it monthly, it does take longer to crank. I have found that if I put in some fuel stablizer in gas tank and crank it for a few minutes before parking it for several weeks, it does seem to help and keeps water from carb. May need small adjustment by good knowledgeable service tech.

Also before returning to dealer, cal Jayco customer service and talk to them, they can usually give you ideas about what is possible or expected performance. The more knowledge and input you give the dealer service person helps him zero in on problem. Also, many dealers do not have best service techs due to turnover. Ask other rv'ers about where to get the best service in your area. And, many of the large truck centers are good resources. My local Ford dealer is useless, because he cannot get me into a bay, and does not have a strong or powerful lift, and can only help me out in the parking lot for a battery or belt. They of course will not touch the MH itself.

Best of luck, and don't forget to post any solutions you learn.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #8

We have a 2014 Melbourne 29D with exactly the same shower temperature problem - we cannot get it to stay constant. It fluctuates between extremely hot to very cold. We cannot take a shower and have yet to find a solution. It has been suggested that the problem is the flow restrictor that keeps the shower water usage to a minimum, but we always go to full hook-up RV sites so are not concerned about running our water tank dry. We are going to try drilling a bigger hole in the water restrictor to let more water flow through the shower head. This may stop the surging of the flow through water heater and give us a constant temperature. Have you found a solution since you posted in 2013?
Old 07-17-2016, 06:38 AM   #9

The water goes cold when the gas valve in the water heater trips off. A red light illuminates on the front of the water heater. After a while it will reset, the light goes off, the burner comes back on, and water is hot again for another cycle. The question is, what condition is being sensed that causes the burner to shut down. At the moment we think it has to do with water pressure, possibly in conjunction with temp knob setting, as the problem is considerably less when operating on the internal water pump. We have learned to live with it. The dealer insists that the operation is normal! After all this time, Jayco tech support still act like they don't have an answer, but they continue to install these water heaters. Is interesting to observe that Winnebago doesn't.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #10

We have a partial solution

Thanks Chas for your response. We looked for various suggestions on the internet and consulted our local Jayco dealer service dept. They said they had replaced three units this year with water heater tanks at $1500 a unit, BUT they agreed that increasing the size of the hole in the water flow restrictor at the mixer fawcet might work. So we have taken off the shower attachment and drilled the hole larger (same as the diameter inside the shower hose) in the plastic connector at the mixer fawcet. By turning the heat controller down to a comfortable hot temperature and not mixing in any cold water we now get a constant acceptable shower temperature - just as we do through the kitchen and washroom fawcets - and we get more water pressure at the shower head. This will work fine as long as we continue to use city water at full hook-up. If we use the internal cold water tank we will probably run out of water much more quickly.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Do you have an on demand water heater? If so, I was told by Jayco, to set the desired shower temp using just the Hot Water Temperature dial, Ever since I did that we have no issues with hot water staying consistent in the shower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36UN.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	133466  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:42 PM   #12

On-Demand Heater

Thank you for your response. Yes we do have an on-demand water heater and we did try just setting the temperature with the heater dial. However the temperature still fluctuated - something that doesn't happen with the washroom and kitchen fawcets. So we have drilled a larger hole in the elbow to which the shower hose is attached. This has increased the flow to the shower head and we can now control the heat using the temperature dial (as suggested by Jayco) as long as we don't try to mix in any cold water.