RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #1

Class C Hellwig overload springs

What is proper settings for hellwig overload springs? I seen I someplace on this forum but sure can't find now. Thanks

usmade56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 07:19 AM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Not sure if there is anything on this forum, but I used this when setting mine up.

JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:24 PM   #3

If memory serves me right, if you set the gap at 3 inches is provides 2,750 pounds of extra support, and at 2 inches you get 3500 pounds of support.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #4

Thanks for replies. To jaythedj, your settings did show on your reply. To kraken, is the gap between overload and regular springs and that front and back are equal? Thanks
Old 10-21-2019, 09:51 PM   #5

You'll get a lot of debate on the front versus back clearance on the springs. If you look at where the Hellwig shackle contacts the Ford spring, it is a mere couple inches from the front of the Ford spring, but if you look at the back, you see the shackle is much more toward about 1/3 from the rear. That's where all the lifting occurs, in the back. The reason it's set up this way is the center of the Hellwig is not centered at the center of the Ford spring. You can do the front if you want, but it's not counterbalancing anything, because the Hellwig is stabilized with with those two large shackles in the middle. On some Hellwigs, it is proper to do both the front and back if the Hellwig is centered at the center of the stock spring. It's interesting that Hellwig sells springs that have no left leaves at all, just right leaves with the two big shackles holding it in the middle. If you want go ahead and do the front, I just did the rear and set it at 3 inches, but I wish I had gone to 2 inches. Maybe will do next spring.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:38 PM   #6

Get a ratcheting box wrench to make the adjustment job easier. Mine were 7/8”” but check before you buy. Lowe’s sells individual wrenches for $20. Worth every penny. Good luck.

Enjoy the journey
Old 10-22-2019, 07:00 AM   #7

Thanks for replies

I ended up taking coach to a spring shop. Truck springs are what they do. He looked at mine (I took it fuel,water, and loaded for 2500 mile trip full) and he leave as they are. Coach sits perfectly level. My hellwigs are different front to rear and different side to side. So at this point, I'm doing just that. Thanks to all replies.

Tags
class c