Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:11 AM   #1

Considering a Precept

Hi. I'm new to the forum and am about to be a first time RV owner. In considering a 2015 or 16 Precept 35UP. I like the floorplan and the price point is appealing vs some of the competition. I am a little concerned about the cheap accordion door to the master bedroom. Can anyone speak to that? I'm thinking about how I could swap it out for a real pocket door. After reading some other posts, I'm also concerned about the defrost, and cold weather diving ( tailgating at Green Bay Packer games in December). Can any one speak to that? It seems, RV's in general need continuous TLC. The more I read, the more overwhelming it is!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2RVing16 View Post
Hi. I'm new to the forum and am about to be a first time RV owner.
We are completely new too (first trip last week). I'll let the old timers chime in on your concerns, only thing I can say is after two years of shopping there is no "perfect RV". We made our selection based on pros/cons of our needs. Jayco seemed to fit the bill.

I would be concerned over those bone chilling days, I find it easier to be in the South

Steve

Old 04-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #3

Steve, which model did you go with?
Old 04-25-2016, 04:49 PM   #4

We went with a smaller coach, the 31ul. This is a two year love it or list it. If we love it we will look at a diesel pusher in a couple years when full retirement is here.

Our first outing was fantastic, looking forward to our next. We were at a class a motor home resort, we were the only gas coach there and the shortest. Felt like the Beverly Hillbillies had arrived, everyone was fantastic! Had people coming by several times a day inviting us to dinner, boat rides, cocktail hour, etc. I think they sold us on motor home travel.

The positive with the larger coach you are looking at is it may handle better with the longer wheelbase and it may ride better with the larger tires. Again I'm no expert just what I've been told and read.

Bottom line no f53 chassis is going to be like a diesel chassis with air suspension, etc. but once your there they live almost the same, maybe better considering the layout.

Best of luck!

Steve
Old 06-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
We have the prototype for the 35un, ours is a 36UN, We had the coach modified, removed the accordion door and replaced it with the sliding door from the newer 2016 35UN. Now the coach meets our needs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36UN.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	129563  
Old 06-08-2016, 12:02 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did any of you have concerns regarding the sink?
rdrv831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:35 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
No sink concerns here.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #8

Looking at a new 2016 Precept, 31UL, test drive felt squirrely/mushy, just me or...??? Retired truck driver, find it funny to go from a 600 Cat to a 362hp V10 gas...the ride of this unit doesn't feel anything like my transfer/end dump, just me or ???
Old 06-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The 31UL Precept should handle poorly if you believe in going by the specifications.

It is 32'2" long. That's 386" long
The wheelbase is 190".

The wheelbase ratio is:
190" / 386" = .492

It should be impossible to drive any coach with this wheelbase ratio.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyprice View Post
Looking at a new 2016 Precept, 31UL, test drive felt squirrely/mushy, just me or...??? Retired truck driver, find it funny to go from a 600 Cat to a 362hp V10 gas...the ride of this unit doesn't feel anything like my transfer/end dump, just me or ???
I have that coach, I agree in the raw form it seems to get blown around at highway speeds although not "impossible" to drive. I added a couple things and increased my tire pressures from the delivery pressure of 82 psi. My coach drives nicely now. No issues rolling the roads at 70 although I prefer 65 and my toad requires that speed.

I would certainly look into a steering stabilizer and a rear trac bar, something you could ask for in the deal. Many gas coach owners of all brands seem to add the steering stabilizer.

I will add that in city driving and RV resort driving it handles wonderful, the overall small coach size makes it a breeze to park almost anywhere.

My 2 cents...

Steve
Old 06-20-2016, 08:44 AM   #11

Thank you Steve, am going to re test drive and discuss what you suggested (steering stabiliser and rear track bar) what tire pressure you use (max or), I definitely noticed sever behavior @ 70 when passing (or being passed) by trucks\ other coaches. Definitely got to watch that tail swing in tight places. Thanks much, ken
Old 06-20-2016, 09:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Thank you Steve, am going to re test drive and discuss what you suggested (steering stabiliser and rear track bar) what tire pressure you use (max or), I definitely noticed sever behavior @ 70 when passing (or being passed) by trucks\ other coaches. Definitely got to watch that tail swing in tight places. Thanks much, ken
I was looking at the same model last week along with an Alante. The wheelbase ratio does concern me but I hope to take a test drive this week. I use my RV all year; handling and ride quality are very important to me. I am also looking at a Greyhawk that is a little shorter.

I like the extra features of the Precept but my wife likes the Alante although she did not say why. Both seem nice and comfortable.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #13

Quote:
When I drove it in the stock form 70 was a two handed drive, at 75 (tested for a few miles) it was too severe, I found that 60 was a good speed. After adding a Safe T Plus and moving my tire pressures to 90psi all the way around I have no problem cruising at 70.... I still prefer 65, not in a hurry.

I plan to add 5 more psi to the front, someone told me to try that so I will. I'll try that over the week of the 4th.

After getting a thousand miles on it I also feel comfortable with a 18 wheeler blowing by, I understand I'll get a little push followed by a little vacuum. No big deal now, I also understand many if not all coaches feel this to some degree.

Make the upgrades part of the deal!

Steve

BTW; when I left the dealer "I assumed" my tire pressures were at 82, they were not. A low of 70 and a high of 100. Check those tires!
Old 06-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #14

Quote:
BTW, in my research I'm finding quite a lot of negative reviews on this particular model (for multiple) reasons not just the ride and handling, overall appearance in and out is what sold me in the beginning. Still haven't bought yet but pending, did NOT like the ride/ handling part, especially @ 65-70 mph (light side wind)and hope it has the power to haul a small car. After the test drive we did notice that the back splash had separated from the kitchen counter (and we hadn't noticed) that prior to drive. Any thoughts advice would be much appreciated, kenny p, Cottonwood, Ca.