RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #1

Thumbs down Ford 6.7L V10 Pros / Cons

Am contemplating a Redhawk 24B motorhome that comes with the Ford V10 engine. I've done some research on that motor and the biggest complaint is that it is a gas guzzler, and the next biggest complaint is regarding reliability and performance. Would really appreciate hearing from those of you who actually have a unit with this engine and what has been your experience.

Old Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #2

My old rig, a 2008 Fleetwood 26J on a Ford E450 with the V10 was utterly trouble-free. I even bought mine "off-rental" at El Monte. The engine barely consumed oil, was quiet and powerful. I sold it with 120k on the dial and I'd be willing to be the next owner could get another 100k out of that engine.

The gas mileage can suck especially in a headwind or climbing mountains. Overall, between good days and bad, I think we get about 9mpg with regular gas.

deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
We have a Redhawk 26XD. Fuel mileage runs from 7.5 to 9.5 depending on terrain, speed and wind conditions. I tend to drive around the posted speed limit. We are not towing anything.

I am very happy with the performance of the engine with the 6 speed transmission. No problem running with traffic and pulls grades very well. I use tow/haul mode all the time and the shift programming seems to be just right to me. The grade retard works well on down hill runs. I am a diesel guy and was surprised at the performance of this thing.

I can't comment on reliability as we've only got about 6K miles on it so far.

Off topic, but I will advise you, if buying new to either have the dealer do, or plan yourself to have a good front-end alignment done. These things are usually delivered with less than 3 degrees of positive caster. It will wander and be difficult to keep straight and in lane. Caster must be set to at least 5 to 5.5 degrees positive to correct this condition. That is within Ford specs. Jayco will pay for the alignment under warranty.
oldecmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:13 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldecmech View Post
Off topic, but I will advise you, if buying new to either have the dealer do, or plan yourself to have a good front-end alignment done. These things are usually delivered with less than 3 degrees of positive caster. It will wander and be difficult to keep straight and in lane. Caster must be set to at least 5 to 5.5 degrees positive to correct this condition. That is within Ford specs. Jayco will pay for the alignment under warranty.
While he is absolutely correct about getting the alignment done, check with Jayco first before assuming they will pay. I have a 2018, 7K miles, purchased new in 4/18 and they would NOT reimburse me for my alignments done in 2/19. Per Jayco rep, alignment must be done before 2 months ownership or 2K miles. And even then, it's not guaranteed they'll cover the cost. ASK first.
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10