Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2019, 07:49 AM   #1

Front end is too low

I've noticed the front end of my alante sits too low. When turning, the tires rub on the fenders. I took it to Ford yesterday and they said the chasis is fine so Jayco didn't put it on the chasis correctly. Anyone else have this issue and if so, how did you resolve it?

Also, the steering wheel is not straight. In order to drive straight, the steering wheel needs to be in the 11 o'clock position. I've had two alignments and Ford also said it is aligned. They think that once we get the above problem fixed, the steering will correct itself. Again, thoughts?
baslert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2019, 07:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslert View Post
I've noticed the front end of my alante sits too low. When turning, the tires rub on the fenders. I took it to Ford yesterday and they said the chasis is fine so Jayco didn't put it on the chasis correctly. Anyone else have this issue and if so, how did you resolve it?

Also, the steering wheel is not straight. In order to drive straight, the steering wheel needs to be in the 11 o'clock position. I've had two alignments and Ford also said it is aligned. They think that once we get the above problem fixed, the steering will correct itself. Again, thoughts?
Sounds like a Ride Height Adjustment is WRONG
- give the service dept a call to get the instructions to set it.

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:21 AM   #3

Quote:

No expert here but I'd think the rig would need to be at the correct ride height before a proper alignment could be done. I know it makes a difference on an A arm type suspension since camber changes during up and down travel.

Also not positive about this but, I don't believe there is a way for an owner to change ride height on this Ford chassis. I'm thinking it would take spring replacement and/or an air bag install.

Again, don't quote me on this as I'm not sure of the year model or the complete specs of your rig.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #4

Having a similar issue

Quote:

Hi!

I am having the same issue. I purchased an Entegra Vision 26X and the front right passenger side corner is sitting so low, to the point where when we turn the wheel it hits the wheel well. The wheel itself has already hit and damaged the RV frame. Current issue is that NO ONE will tow us because our RV is too low. It is from the ground to the bottom of the front bumper is about 9" or less on the right side, almost 10" off the drivers front bumper. We got weighed, and under weight. Jayco on the phone said it is a Ford issue (without looking at it), and no one can seem to find a company to tow us. It has been 2 weeks stuck in an RV park and we were told we should't drive to cause further damage.

Did you find any resolution yet form Jayco?
rvHeadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:39 AM   #5

Right now, the dealership has approval from Jayco and a suggested method of repair. The dealership is trying to find a place to add the spacer.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Right now, the dealership has approval from Jayco and a suggested method of repair. The dealership is trying to find a place to add the spacer.
baslert, I'm curious as to what year and model Alante you have?
I hope you get it fixed! Keep us posted
Thanks,
Dale
DatsunX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsunX3 View Post
baslert, I'm curious as to what year and model Alante you have?

I hope you get it fixed! Keep us posted

Thanks,

Dale

Is a 2018 31R
Old 02-20-2019, 10:44 PM   #8

I have the 2019 Entegra Vision 26X which is basically the Jaco Alante. The Entegra version has a different front cap, but is also very low at the front. The wheels don't scrape or bind on anything, but i am guessing it's not by much.
Pleas keep us current on the solution they come up with.

Chris
Chris Hayes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:45 AM   #9

Right now, I have an appointment at Tampa RV. I'll drop it off and they will take it to a spings shop. Luckily, I don't have to drive it around and deal with it.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #10

front end too low

Curious what the repair was??
I have the same problem.
Jayco points to Ford. Ford points to Jayco?
What was done to correct the problem for you.
If you would call or text me I would GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!
Randy Edwards
253-255-5838
randyedwards@msn.com
randyedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvHeadache View Post
Hi!

I am having the same issue. I purchased an Entegra Vision 26X and the front right passenger side corner is sitting so low, to the point where when we turn the wheel it hits the wheel well. The wheel itself has already hit and damaged the RV frame. Current issue is that NO ONE will tow us because our RV is too low. It is from the ground to the bottom of the front bumper is about 9" or less on the right side, almost 10" off the drivers front bumper. We got weighed, and under weight. Jayco on the phone said it is a Ford issue (without looking at it), and no one can seem to find a company to tow us. It has been 2 weeks stuck in an RV park and we were told we should't drive to cause further damage.

Did you find any resolution yet form Jayco?

You drove it to the RV Park
No one will tow it THEN Drive it to Ford or whoever to get it fixed.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #12

Just have somebody put airbags in front. That way you can keep the front ride height within reason no matter what the loads are.

Ford twin I beam suspensions NEED to be at the proper height or else the camber will be way off. My front ride height changes with loads and trailer/bike carrier weights. With air bags I can add or let out air to keep the front straight. The camber changes are obvious enough that simply looking at your front wheels should let you know if it's too high or too low in the travel.
gmtec16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:58 PM   #13

front end too low

I'm looking at adding Sumo springs to the front end.
From the research I've seen this should add approx 1 inch to the ride height and also improve ride quality and sway.
Curious if anyone here has done this.
Was there a ride height change?
Did the Sumo springs improve handling?
randyedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:22 PM   #14

If you need more clearance add spacers under the springs, or longer, but same rate, coil springs.

Sumos add spring rate and cause a sharper rebound in the springs compression.

Sway control should be controlled by stronger anti sway bars. They don't add as much spring rate to the springs and work across the axle to keep the chassis level with the axles.
Sumos will limit compression on the low side spring but nothing to the extension ( stretch ) of the high side spring.

I'll be removing my, previous owner installed, E450 Sumos as soon as I recover from hip replacement.

My experience with my older class C was that it needed more sway control in the rear, where the height and weight is.

I installed a Hellwig aftermarket sway bar and saw a significant improvement.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote