RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #1

Furnace or propane trouble

Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping someone can help me with my problem.

I have a 2016 jayco trailer. Its permanently hooked up on my property to 30amp power and has a full lp gas tank permanently attached too.
Up until yesterday I had no issues with the furnace or lp gas. We've had a few really cold days, waking up to -4 again this morning.
Propane is full and on. I can light the stove, it burns perfect for about 3 minutes and then goes very low and keeps burning like that. If I turn it off a few minutes it does the same thing, burns great and then burns very low but does stay lit.
The furnace blower kicks on but didnt seem to want to heat. Now itll keep running, barely putting out heat, and after running for about 4 or 5 minutes, trips the power for a few seconds before starting over again.
It feels like its blowing slightly warmer than cold air, if that makes sense.
The hot water heater sparks as it's trying to ignite but then the daily fault light comes on and it quite trying.

It seems like the gas isnt flowing properly. Yet everything was working fine a couple of days ago, and nothing has been moved or messed with.

Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shilo

Shilo_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilo_1 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping someone can help me with my problem.

I have a 2016 jayco trailer. Its permanently hooked up on my property to 30amp power and has a full lp gas tank permanently attached too.
Up until yesterday I had no issues with the furnace or lp gas. We've had a few really cold days, waking up to -4 again this morning.
Propane is full and on. I can light the stove, it burns perfect for about 3 minutes and then goes very low and keeps burning like that. If I turn it off a few minutes it does the same thing, burns great and then burns very low but does stay lit.
The furnace blower kicks on but didnt seem to want to heat. Now itll keep running, barely putting out heat, and after running for about 4 or 5 minutes, trips the power for a few seconds before starting over again.
It feels like its blowing slightly warmer than cold air, if that makes sense.
The hot water heater sparks as it's trying to ignite but then the daily fault light comes on and it quite trying.

It seems like the gas isnt flowing properly. Yet everything was working fine a couple of days ago, and nothing has been moved or messed with.

Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shilo
turn your lp tank off then open valve very slow. maybe will help .. maybe excess flow shut down .. give it a try ...

Old 02-21-2019, 08:46 AM   #3

Mojim, I tried that, but it hasn't seemed to make any difference.
Just a question...would that still be an issue if the propane tank hasn't been turned on or off and it was previously working fine ? I could understand if they just filled the tank and turned it on too quickly, but it was working fine since the last fill up. Is the too high flow a common issue that can just randomly cause problems ?
Old 02-21-2019, 08:50 AM   #4

Excess Flow Device comes into play when there is a sudden high flow situation.......opening service valve too quickly or a major leak downstream

I think your Regulator is the problem.
It is NOT maintaining system pressure based on demand
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:52 AM   #5

Your last fill up may have been a mix with more butane.

You can try warming up the propane tank.

At -4 your not going to get a lot of flow. Stick a heating pad on the tanks and keep them covered.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #6

X2 on the regulator....
Old 02-21-2019, 08:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilo_1 View Post
Mojim, I tried that, but it hasn't seemed to make any difference.
Just a question...would that still be an issue if the propane tank hasn't been turned on or off and it was previously working fine ? I could understand if they just filled the tank and turned it on too quickly, but it was working fine since the last fill up. Is the too high flow a common issue that can just randomly cause problems ?
not common I was taking a wild guess sounds like maybe regulator try pouring some water over it to warm it up if its cold out. some times frost can get in on diaphragm sometimes just a tap on reg .. if that don't work maybe take reg to propane supplier to check or replace.. good luck
Old 02-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Your last fill up may have been a mix with more butane.

You can try warming up the propane tank.

At -4 your not going to get a lot of flow. Stick a heating pad on the tanks and keep them covered.
good advice
Old 02-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #9

Thanks for all the input, folks ! It looks like it must be the cold afterall. Since its warmed up to a balmy 22, the furnace is firing and heating up as it always had.

What do you guys in colder climates do in the very cold ? Blanket the propane tank and regulator ? That wont cause any other issues, will it ?
Old 02-21-2019, 01:12 PM   #10

what size tanks do you have ? larger tank will vaporize more
Old 02-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #11

Regulator is the issue

Tank is not a problem in cold temps

Wrap some insulation around regulator
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Regulator is the issue

Tank is not a problem in cold temps

Wrap some insulation around regulator
Tank size can be a problem it takes wetted surface area to vaporize propane heck even color of tank !
Old 02-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #13

How old is the regulator?
Could have gotten some propane with moisture in the tank
In cold weather they add methanol to the propane to keep it from freezing.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:53 AM   #14

Regulator is 3yrs old. Tank is 120g white horizontal.
Yesterday, once it hit about 10 outside the furnace was working like a dream again. Could the regulator still be bad or just likely for some moisture in ?

Tags
furnace, propane