Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you installed a different radio ?

As the "new" owner of a 2006 Jayco 33ss I am very disappointed in the performance of the radio, which is some off brand single CD 1.5DIN unit.

The AM reception is terrible and the CD's stick, so it takes several try's to unload.

My question is, have any other Jayco owners switched out their radios and what did you go to ?

I can buy a 2002 ford explorer AM/FM, tap and 6 CD 2.0 DIN unit for 40-120 bucks, but they don't have a DSP button. For that I need a 2002 Lincoln radio, but the CD changer is then a remote unit. Not a big concern.

GM radios are out due to they're being "locked" and VIN specific.

I would like to find a unit that plays both tape and CD's with a DSP button, as I love the reverb you get with the "stadium" setting.

Obviously a new antenna is going up on top of the coach to help with the AM reception.

Soooo, which aftermarket radio did you switch to and why ?

Mike in Colorado
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2017, 04:55 AM   #2

Have you check4ed out what is offered at Crutchfield. I replaced OEM with a radio without CD. But they offer almost anything that you may want.
I installed a single din radio with wiring harness CRUX SOCGM-17 Wiring Interface. Metra 99-2001 Dash Kit
Old 12-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
different radio

ronjhall,
Yup, I looked at Chrutchfield and they may have some of the plugs I will need. Radios are pretty pricy.
Got my eye on a 2002 Lincoln towncar radio that has a DSP and RDS button, which gives you that concert hall / stadium reverb effect.
Only problem is the tape is in the unit and the 5 CD changer is "remote".

There is a tape / 6 CD version for the Explorer / Expedition that is a double DIN self contained unit, but it does not have the RDS / DSP button and I really want that feature.

I can find these type of units in the 40-90 dollar range lots of places.

Both of these have FAR BETTER AM reception than the crummy unit in there now.

Any ideas are welcome..........
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #4

Different radio

Replaced piece of ———— radio with Kenwood ddx6704s. It streams Bluetooth from my iPad and also has a screen so I can also use as gps device from connected phone. This unit also has a DVD player. Listen to music a lot and can steam music inside and outside motor home. Worth it but was pricey. I am new owner of red hawk 22c.
Bigscott013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, led, radio