RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Help with back lights

I have a 99 Jayco Eagles series, my rear lights just stopped working. All of them. When I turn on the blinkers, they fast flash. All fuses in the box check good, I found one back bulb blown, it was a 2057 where as all the others, except backup were 1157. I replaced it with an 1157. Still no help. Suggestions on where to check next anyone?
Thanks

ldworak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #2

Check your ground path from the lights to the trailer connector.

The easiest way is to use a very long clip lead to the connector ground pin and the other end clipped to the meter probe. I made mine out of a length of stranded wire and two alligator clips from Harbor Freight. Anything you can come up with is fine. Check the resistance from the ground pin to the outside shell of the lamp. It should be less than an ohm. That is the only connection common to all the lights.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK will give that a try, so meter between ground pin of connector and outside shell of all lamps. I did fine a blown 2057 bulb in the place of an 1157. Replaced that and it didn't make a difference. Thanks
Old 06-07-2015, 11:35 AM   #4

2057, is just a high watt ( brighter) version of the 1157. I'm in agreement with , nothermark , sounds like a system ground issue.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Since all lights quit working, I agree with a ground problem as it is common to them all.

I would focus on the trailer to tow vehicle connection, the connector to vehicle, and connection of both sides of that connector to the frame.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 06-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
It was in the connection underneath. I untaped everything and the ground was disconnected. Thanks for that fix, much appreciated. The trailer lights still don't work but I have the rest. I might try splicing in another boat connector at the plug underneath. I did find something else interesting. Coming down out of the back of the RV. are 3 wires. A ground, which I redid, a hot that I can't find a mate for and another like lime green that I can't find a mate to. They both have a straight cut on them. Could these be spares of some sort coming out of the camper?

THANKS big time for the help.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldworak View Post
It was in the connection underneath. I untaped everything and the ground was disconnected. Thanks for that fix, much appreciated. The trailer lights still don't work but I have the rest. I might try splicing in another boat connector at the plug underneath. I did find something else interesting. Coming down out of the back of the RV. are 3 wires. A ground, which I redid, a hot that I can't find a mate for and another like lime green that I can't find a mate to. They both have a straight cut on them. Could these be spares of some sort coming out of the camper?

THANKS big time for the help.
Stranger things than spare wires have been found. ;-)

I'd keep track of what I found as I worked through the rest of the problems. You may find a need for them or they might be for an option you do not have.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights