Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Unhappy Jake Plate Adjustable Axle Hangers

Has anyone ever raised the height of their camper using the Jake Plate Adjustable Axle Hangers? We need to do this on our 2003 Jayco Eagle, but I can't find any information on how it is done. It may be as simple as moving the bolts down to the lowest holes but wanted to check for any tips and tricks before we get started. Thanks in advance for any help.

micwtx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #2

I am assuming that your new truck is a little too high at the bed side for your fifth wheel? Is the axle above or below the springs? An axle flip can garner the easiest lift.

The best long term way to raise your trailer would be to remove the hangers from the frame and add amount of square/rectangle steel tubing to achieve the amount of lift you need. Any amount of lift applied thru either lift blocks or spring hangers adds an exponential amount of forces to the suspension especially during turning.

good luck in your "high" adventure.

Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosters 67 View Post
I am assuming that your new truck is a little too high at the bed side for your fifth wheel? Is the axle above or below the springs? An axle flip can garner the easiest lift.

The best long term way to raise your trailer would be to remove the hangers from the frame and add amount of square/rectangle steel tubing to achieve the amount of lift you need. Any amount of lift applied thru either lift blocks or spring hangers adds an exponential amount of forces to the suspension especially during turning.

good luck in your "high" adventure.
Thanks for your reply.
Our Jayco Eagle has "Jake Plate Adjustable Axle Hanger Plates" that have two additional holes on each end and one additional hole in the center that allows you to adjust height for leveling, at least according to the Jayco brochure. Not with the camper at the mo' so not sure if the axle is above or below the springs. Just wondered if other Jayco owners had raised their camper to level it better as our new taller truck has it raised up in the front and puts more weight on the back axle and tires. Don't want to end up with serious issues down the road, but want to make sure I am not biting off more than I can chew with doing this myself.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #4

My NUWA HitchHiker 5th wheel has 'adjustable' hangers.

3 holes in front/rear leaf spring hangers and 2 holes in center equalizer hanger

OEM used top holes in all three hangers

I moved front/rear leaf springs down to middle holes leaving center equalizer in top hole
Gained 2" in height overall leveling my 5vr.

IF I had to use bottom holes in front/rear I would have moved center down to bottom also
Old 08-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
My NUWA HitchHiker 5th wheel has 'adjustable' hangers.

3 holes in front/rear leaf spring hangers and 2 holes in center equalizer hanger

OEM used top holes in all three hangers

I moved front/rear leaf springs down to middle holes leaving center equalizer in top hole
Gained 2" in height overall leveling my 5vr.

IF I had to use bottom holes in front/rear I would have moved center down to bottom also
We didn't have a height problem when we had our Hitchhiker II LS but we have changed trucks and campers since then. Was it just a simple case of moving the bolts on the hangers or is there something else that has to be moved or adjusted? I know I will have to support/jack up the camper and axle as I move each bolt, just want to know if there is anything else I am missing. Did you have any ride issues after you raised your Hitchhiker? Thanks for you response.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #6

Had to raise 5vr in order to get it level for towing and have bed rail clearance so I also did a wet bolt kit at same time.

Changing holes is just that.......remove bolt/align spring eye with next hole/install bolt
Jack under spring perch with tire/rim removed

Ride issues........
No longer nose high so it towed A LOT better