Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2015, 12:40 PM   #1

Jayco 26XD Redhawk in the Future? Comments..

26XD Purchase - Comments… (Sorry new guy ..did not realize a specific Jayco spot was available)

We are looking to purchase a 2015-2016 26XD Redhawk Motorhome. We are satisfied with the length, living space and storage. While we realize that there is no perfect unit, there are two things that are a bit annoying. (1) Why didn’t they put a medicine cabinet in the bath? A cheesy mirror ….really! I am spending around $60,000 and I need to purchase a medicine cabinet. Yet, they are readily found in their less expensive trailer lines. (2) How many times have I heard it said at an RV show….. “If they only had 6 more inches of room at the end you really could get to the bed much easier.” The queen bed (on a slide) is more of a “squeeze” around at the end and just a bit more room would have made it top notch. (Design group wake up! Or perhaps “Bean counters” beware: quantification can compromise quality!)

FYI, we own a 2008, 25 RKS Jay Feather Trailer. Layout, quality of materials and workmanship were excellent. Plus, we have had to deal with very few problems throughout the years. We are even somewhat reluctant to let it go.
However, we probably do not feel quite the same about new Jayco Trailers. Wood often too darkly stained and cheap, fit and finish questionable, roof vents as rare as hen’s teeth (my Maxxair fan no more), questionable layouts, and my personal gripe….rock and roll - earthquake quake tremoring dinette tables! (Again, design group and bean counters beware!)

We felt the time for a Class C is now and want to give Jayco a chance. Comments from 28XD owners appreciated.
RinconTreks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 06:36 AM   #2

You have to keep in mind that probably 1/3-1/2 of that 60k is for the chassis. What your left with is a serviceable coach, one grade higher than rental grade (Itasca Spirit and Winnebago Minnie Winnie being prime examples of rental grade. Camping World Freedom Express units also come to mind).

That being said, I'd take the Jayco over any of them and many more in a minute. I'm actually 4th and inches from picking up a 2016 Greyhawk this weekend.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #3

I love your analogy of 4th and Inches..
I am 4th and a foot, for a 2016 Greyhawk as well..
Concerned with exterior storage in the 29mv...
Going on a 2 week trip to Canada and Alaska in 9 days...
I might pull the trigger when I get back.. (if its still available)
BankerCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #4

It doesn't have much storage space outside. That's the only downside when compared to what I am trading in. Conversely, it will also help me from really loading the back end of it w/ heavy items; thus keeping my weight creep in check.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:54 AM   #5

Hi all,

We went from a 2005 Jayco 25RKS trailer to a 2015 Jayco 23XM, to a 2016 Jayco 26XD. The 26XD is by far the best motorhomes (of 6) that we have ever owned.

It has more outside storage than the 23XM, and rides like a dream... and yes, why no medicine cabinet is a real puzzler! There is room for one, although it would have to be tall and narrow (about 13" wide). I CANT FIND ONE THAT NARRORW anywhere... if anybody knows a source for a 13" wide cabinet... HELP! lol

We've had the 26XD about 3 weeks, and keep finding interesting stuff... like the 115v outlet under the dinette also has 2 USB charging ports! Who knew....

The fit and finish is perfect, and gets better mileage than the smaller 23XM. We've been getting about 11 MPG on this trip. And, you can't beat the 2 year warranty!
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #6

RinconTreks,

We just got back from a 3 week trip to Florida (2,400 miles), and had no issues. I know, kind of shocking. This time when we bought, we spent 3 hours on the PDI, and looked at EVERYTHING (with a flashlight). The few thing that we found got fixed right then, before we left the dealership.

I don't think that you can go wrong with the 26XD, and the 6 speed transmission was wonderful... very quiet, and averaged 11.1 MPG. We're VERY pleased!
Old 03-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #7

Did they change the roof on the RedHawks or is it still a rubber roof?
Chriswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #8

We were looking specifically for a unit with a rubber roof... It's lighter, more forgiving to vertical impacts (like hail), and requires the same amount of maintenance (resealing around all of the openings in the roof). So we were happy to find that the Redhawk had one.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Greyhawk

We purchased a 2016 Greyhawk 31DS. Haven't been on a trip yet, but satisfied with the layout and room it has. My only complaint is that I feel we were mislead. The chassis, although it is a 2016, is really a 2015, built by Ford May 2015. That being said, the online brochure states that it has a 6 speed transmission and that's what I thought we were getting. Turns out it is a 5 speed. Spoke with Ford, spoke with Jayco and one said it was a five (Ford) and Jayco said its a 6, but then came back and said its a 5 and that the online info isn't correct. What?????
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:42 AM   #10

I bought a 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29mv in August 2015.. Made my first out of state trip a couple weeks ago, went to Disney World..
I guess I need to check to see if I got a 5 or 6 speed...
BankerCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
The shift indicator would have a 4th gear if it is. Regardless, their online brochure states that 2016 has 6 speed.
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #12

6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankerCajun View Post
I bought a 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29mv in August 2015.. Made my first out of state trip a couple weeks ago, went to Disney World..
I guess I need to check to see if I got a 5 or 6 speed...
Look at the shift indicator, if it shows 1 2 4 6, it's a six speed.

If the unit was represented in writing as a six speed by the dealer, and it's a 5 speed (1 2 3 5), you should (in my opinion) get either a full refund, a new unit, or a generous rebate.

We got a 2016 Redhawk, and it has a six speed.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
The 2016 XD is a great unit. Drove it, Loved it and bought the 23XD anyway for size. Best MH for handling out there with the exception of the Newmar with Comfort Drive!
cschiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:18 AM   #14

Still in Florida with our new 26xd. Working out some kinks with the a.c. freezing up. Found the freezing probe dangling in the warm air return and the high speed fan wire from the thermostat not attached properly, I could vent but just fixed it myself and has been working fine ever since. One of the things you can't detect when you buy an RV in 20 degree,weather. The water filter under the sink takes up way too much space in an already limited size cabinet. Used a hot water heater bypass kit and removed the filter, that opens up a little more cabinet space. When we get home my plan is to move the mirror to the wall behind the hopper and add a medicine cabinet in that space. Should have been that way from the factory. My personal vent, who needs a window in the BR. Still love this RV.
gs750t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco