Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2016, 01:13 PM   #15

That's because you have a Winnebago. They do build a great MH. The Precept length is too long for the wheel base.
precept is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by precept View Post
That's because you have a Winnebago.
It's not the Winnebago badges making it drive better. Mine is on a 20,500 GVWR F53 where yours is a 18,000. Not a lot of differences between them, but springs (the big difference) certainly affect how it drives. I can't say that I've seen your weights, what does yours weigh? If it's 2500 pounds lighter than mine (I'm near GVWR fully loaded), the springs ought not to have a big difference in how they drive, being that they are sized for the weight.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #17

Quote:
My last conversation with Jayco CS Randy Wes(?) last week, he had informed me that Jayco will not do any repairs regarding the ride and stability of my unit. He is dead set on the information from Ford that to him the chassis is fine (but the Ford mechanic stated in writing the wheel base was too short and that's what's causing the swaying and rough ride), Jayco has refused to help with the amount to install additional "safety" features and it appears that we are now stuck on hold as what to do now. My dealership kept saying they would help, but when $$ is mentioned there's a long pause and then NO. Still waiting to hear from them regarding an appointment to fix the "warranty" problems. Not. Loose seems around front windows and window above door, again. These have all been replaced once a few months ago, and it still is a major headache.

I would like to ask those of you who have this Model to send me a note as to what your issues have been. Mr. Randy at Jayco told me that he has not had any complaints regarding this unit (2015) and that the foundation of this unit is strong and safe!!!
I have a 2015 Precept 31 UL. I have has multiple problems with this unit which I've been addressing for the past year. Too much to list here, but they did fix the window over the door by putting a rubber molding on the inside. I've been very disappointed in the fact the quality was not as the dealer told me it was for Jayco. I do love the floor plan and options. Storage is great. Dash supports are ineffective which causes significant rattles. Storage compartments started separating from the side walls, The dealer has tried very hard to fix most of the issues but Jayco customer service has proved to be useless. As for the ride and drive, yes I have the same issues and it seems I'll have to fix on my own based on what you have said.
RSisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:08 AM   #18

File a complaint with the BBB. I have and am waiting for responses. Our window over the door had the same issue. They claim it was fixed, but it still makes noise. Our list of issues sounds about as long as yours. The more people we can get to complain, the better effect. Did you know that the 2017 Precept 31UL has larger tires and is on a 22,000lb. chassis? Interesting.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #19

We had our unit weighed at a CAT scale. The total weight is 18,000lbs. Just being the two of us we don't have a lot to store. The back weight limit is 11,000lbs. and it weighed in at 10,080. I weigh around 120 so that would put us over the legal limit if I were to sit on the bed while on the road. The wheel base is too short for the length of this unit. Jayco has not updated this with new larger tires and a 22,000lb. chassis.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The back weight limit is 11,000lbs. and it weighed in at 10,080. I weigh around 120 so that would put us over the legal limit if I were to sit on the bed while on the road.
Using your numbers you would have to weigh over 920 lbs to exceed the rear axle rating.

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:30 AM   #21

SteveL, you are correct with that figure. I entered it wrong and it is suppose to be 10,800lbs. The heat down here is affecting everyone.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
We saw a 2017 ul31 today, our dealer just received it. It does have 22.5" tires, the wheelbase did not change. Didn't go in but we could see the movie recliners, and the two tone diamond vinyl (I didn't like but my DW did).

Steve
Old 07-05-2016, 07:51 AM   #23

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
We saw a 2017 ul31 today, our dealer just received it. It does have 22.5" tires, the wheelbase did not change. Didn't go in but we could see the movie recliners, and the two tone diamond vinyl (I didn't like but my DW did).

Steve
I'm curious. Ford specs for the 22,000lb chassis show a 228" wheelbase and 22.5" tires.

The 2016 and earlier had the 18,000lb 190" wheelbase and the smaller tires

Something doesn't sound right. Unless the Ford Chassis specs have changed.

I have a few MSRP sheets from a dealer that show the 2017 has a 228" wheelbase.
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #24

That's because Jayco has realized the chassis was not strong enough to support the overall weight. Though they claim I am the only one to ever complain about the overall ride, as you can see many people have had the same problems. Thor just bought out Jayco and claims that Jayco's trailers, Class C and Class A "Diesel" products are very good. In the press release there was no mention of the Class A Gas motorhomes for Jayco. So what do you think is the future for the Class A Gas motorhomes?
Old 07-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBound View Post
I'm curious. Ford specs for the 22,000lb chassis show a 228" wheelbase and 22.5" tires.

The 2016 and earlier had the 18,000lb 190" wheelbase and the smaller tires

Something doesn't sound right. Unless the Ford Chassis specs have changed.

I have a few MSRP sheets from a dealer that show the 2017 has a 228" wheelbase.
I didn't pull out a tape measure, my shoes are almost a foot (slightly over), I paced off just over 15 steps, same as my 2016.

Steve
Old 07-05-2016, 04:34 PM   #26

Quote:
I didn't pull out a tape measure, my shoes are almost a foot (slightly over), I paced off just over 15 steps, same as my 2016.

Steve

I intend to have a tape measure, when I take delivery of the 2017.

If it ain't 228", the dealers got sum splainin to do.
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Went back and looked at the 2017 31UL, it does have 22.5" tires, it does have a 22k gross weight, and it does have a 190" wheelbase.
See attached photos.

I'm thinking the tire size alone has made the gross weight go up..... then I had a thought, is the exterior length the same? I'm not sure if that changed.

I like:
The vinyl floor through the bedroom and under the kitchen table.
The new sliding door separating the bedroom.
The 22.5" tires.
The movie recliners.
The passenger side of the dash.
The stainless sinks.

I dislike:
The uncovered control area for slides, generator, etc.
The diamond upholstery, that has been used in boats for years.
The new end tables beside the bed, going to be more difficult to get out.
Wasn't crazy about the interior color (DW liked it).

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire_Size.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	132226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tape_Measure.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	132227  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford_22k.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	132228   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017_31UL.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	132229  

Old 07-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #28

Quote:
......it does have a 22k gross weight, and it does have a 190" wheelbase.
See attached photos.
The Ford sticker photo shows a 22K chassis with a 228 WB. The 2016 F53 22K chassis is available on 3 WB's: 208.3 228.3 242.3.

ref: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...16_F53_F59.pdf

Precept if you look on the Ford Chassis forum you will see many posts regarding poor handling. The problem is industry wide. To save $$, coach manufacturer's build on the cheapest (lightest) chassis they can get away with. Until sales are affected there will be no changes to this practice.

There are many solutions discussed on the Ford Chassis forum.

On my Winnebago 31KE (18K chassis, 190" WB) I have done the "cheap handling fix" (CHF) and installed a rear track bar that I made myself. Total cost was less than $100. This changed the handling from unsafe to acceptable.
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco