Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Precept

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1217 View Post
What other extras are you referring to?
I installed a rear trac bar to minimize the impact from tractor trailers on two lane roads, which we travel frequently in Arizona. I installed a steering stabilizer primarily for the safety but wanted the additional ease of steering in cross winds and reduce wander also. I installed Centramatics to guarantee wheel balance. They also eliminated vibrations and noise coming from the dash. All three have been worth the cost to improve the driving experience. Jaycos addition of a second rear trac bar is a nice feature. Reading this forum concerning this chassis it seem each owner has a variety of likes and dislikes and many after market items have different results for different coaches due to load and weight, I assume. Other have resorted to SumoSprings and Koni shocks for improved ride. Happy and safe motoring.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2016, 01:00 AM   #16

Rider99, I'm glad you are enjoying your ride for sure, but,IMHO, you shouldnt purchase a brand new vehicle and have to add that much to it to feel comfortable or safe on the road. At the very least, the dealer could have told us there was some issues and possible fixes. It was a nice unit and comfortable to camping. With forums like this, at least future buyers might take a look at what they are getting into and make a more educated purchase. I dont not know, but i would hope Jayco has incorporated some of these fixes into the new model.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:53 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhogheave View Post
Rider99, I'm glad you are enjoying your ride for sure, but,IMHO, you shouldnt purchase a brand new vehicle and have to add that much to it to feel comfortable or safe on the road. At the very least, the dealer could have told us there was some issues and possible fixes. It was a nice unit and comfortable to camping. With forums like this, at least future buyers might take a look at what they are getting into and make a more educated purchase. I dont not know, but i would hope Jayco has incorporated some of these fixes into the new model.
I agree 100%. The f53 chassis is still in the last century. But it functions at a decent level for most. Off the dealers lot mine was ok. It drove straight and relatively smooth. Thanks to this forum I purchased with eyes wide open. No regrets. Hopefully it's safer and it is noticeably easier drive now. If you go buy a 40' top of the line pusher you may be satisfied or not. I notice the aftermarket chassis items are abundant for most all coaches regardless of price. I think Jayco has done a decent job and their customer support is outstanding. My neighbor has a very nice Tiffin Phaeton with rattles that are driving him crazy. He returned from a trip recently with a lighter wallet after a bearing failure on the front belt drive that required $1200.00 worth of labor to access. Another design that should have been improved years ago. And so it goes in the RV world. Happy motoring.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:31 AM   #18

I did buy a 40' Monoco Camelot and the difference is astronomical, as it should be for the difference in cost, and yep, your gonna spend money on all of them, that is a given in rv'n also. Getting ready for a trip to Maggie Valley..hopefully cya on the road somewhere..enjoy your trips and be safe!
Old 03-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Can you post up your alignment results? May post them on the F53 portion of the forum... You'll get good comments there.

There is NO reason for this to have 2 inches of play in the steering. If you actually have that much slop, something is definitely wrong and should be addressed immediately...

Getting the F53 to handle well on the road (excluding the slop) can take a little work..
Old 03-13-2016, 02:23 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
If you subscribe to the information from the RV consumer Group, and the venerable "Poop sheets by Phred" the 31UL is expected to be overly difficult to handle.

The above referenced folks they state that the Wheelbase to Length ratio must be above 53 to be an adequately handling rig. 50 - 53 is a problem and will be overly taxing on the driver, and under 50 is something that should not be driven.

The 31UL drops out at a 49. Wheelbase = 190in Length is 32ft 2 in. So

190 divided by 386 = .492 etc.

According to the Consumer Group and Phred it is expected to be VERY difficult to drive. Both would caution against even driving it on the highway at all. They are legal, but if not necessarily safe...according to RV Consumer Group and Phred. You can still find the poop sheets on the net although they have not been updated for over 10 years. It is my understanding that Phred has since passed on.

Adding handling components to the unit may make it easier, but not necessarily safe. Also that unit has a huge overhang, again makes it dicey.

Not trying to start a war on this, just passing on information.

Thanks,
SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:12 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
F53

Interesting information. I don't know the number of f53 chassis on the road with these specification but am curious if there are a disproportionate number of accidents compared to other chassis or configurations of the F53?
Old 03-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #22

Jayco 31 UL Steering

We too have just purchased a Jayco 31 UL and took it from NC to the FL Keys. Very difficult to keep it under control. We did have wind all the way down but even a large car passing us would push the unit. I've driven for a living for 40+ yrs but never been manhandled so bad. Camping World's cure is $1800 of front and rear sway bars. I can't believe Jayco hasn't come up with some correction, as this seems to be an issue with several owners. I sure hope there hasn't been accidents as a result of this characteristic.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
2016 31ul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
We too have just purchased a Jayco 31 UL and took it from NC to the FL Keys. Very difficult to keep it under control. We did have wind all the way down but even a large car passing us would push the unit. I've driven for a living for 40+ yrs but never been manhandled so bad. Camping World's cure is $1800 of front and rear sway bars. I can't believe Jayco hasn't come up with some correction, as this seems to be an issue with several owners. I sure hope there hasn't been accidents as a result of this characteristic.
Your Precept should have one factory sway bar allready on the front axle and two sway bars on the rear axle. I installed a rear trac bar before too many miles, which is what you need to reduce the sideways push. I drive two lane roads in Arizona with a lot of tractor trailers passing from the opposite direction and the impact is almost undetectable. The 31UL Precept also has a factory trac bar on the front axle. The only actions I can suggest is check your air pressure, your alignment and install a good quality steering stabilizer, which should help some in the wind and give you control in the event of a front tire blow out an easy self install. You could also weigh your coach on all four corners to check the load on front and rear axles as well as each tire. It's too bad all this is not installed at the factory by each RV manufacturer and designed for every size and weight. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #24

Jayco Owners Club
Has anyone has installed a steering stabilizer on a 2016 Jayco Precept 31UL and if so how much did it help and what was the cost? I guess what I am asking is was it worth the cost.

We are new to RVing and really don't know what is "normal" for drivability.
boater1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1217 View Post
Has anyone has installed a steering stabilizer on a 2016 Jayco Precept 31UL and if so how much did it help and what was the cost? I guess what I am asking is was it worth the cost.

We are new to RVing and really don't know what is "normal" for drivability.
+1

Picking up a new 31UL this Thursday, would certainly like to know more about the issues and the bolt on products that help any adverse driving conditions on this unit.

Steve
Old 03-23-2016, 06:07 AM   #26

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
+1

Picking up a new 31UL this Thursday, would certainly like to know more about the issues and the bolt on products that help any adverse driving conditions on this unit.

Steve
We have been living aboard for the last 60 days while we build a house so although we haven't driven it very much we do like the unit a lot. There is a Precept owners group at the Jayco owners site that has a good bit of information about the Precept, that is we're we found out about adding the steering stabilizer. A couple of things the dealer can correct before you pick up the unit is to make sure the salon TV was installed high enough so that the remote works easily and you get good sound out of the speakers. Also make sure the door is adjusted correctly.

If you are planning on towing, get the brake controller installed. The wiring is already present. If I had know what I know now, I would have made the brake controller and the stabilizer part of the purchase deal.

Take a good test drive to see if you feel the need for the stabilizer. Being new to RVing I just felt that I wanted more control to feel comfortable.

We also found that the mattress is not suitable for extended use. We are already looking for a replacement.

We are pleased with our purchase and hope you like yours.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #27

Update, dealer agreed to add steering stabilizer of my choice. They have to order it so I get a "we owe" paper.

We will take a good 45 minute drive tomorrow before I sign the papers. That precept 35 looks nice......getting that look from the wife

Steve
Old 03-24-2016, 08:58 PM   #28

Jayco Owners Club
Way to go

Tags
engine, jayco, steering