Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2015, 01:49 AM   #1

Jayco Precept 31UL steering and engine problems

Hello
We just purchased a Jayco Precept 31UL. One of the reasons we decided to go with this coach was due to the reviews praising the overall handling. We took our maiden voyage last week and Right from the get go, the coach was extremely difficult to handle. (We are not new to driving motorhomes) The coach has severe sway and about 2 inches of play in the steering. We could not drive faster than 50mph without steering problems. We re-checked the tire pressure and it was at 90, but didn't improve the handling. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
abwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 05:05 AM   #2

Contact Jayco and your dealer tell them you need a alignment check.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:53 AM   #3

Both issues you describe are related to the Ford chassis. I would recommend contacting Ford first and avoid the RV dealer. An alignment is required on a new (loaded) rig anyway but that shouldn't have anything to do with the excessive steering wheel play or sway.

Did you take a look under the rig? Maybe something was damaged during the delivery to the dealer.
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #4

PLEASE, I have been asked to put you in touch with Joyce Skinner, head of customer service for Jayco motorized division. She has asked that you call her directly so she can get you help with your problem. Call today( I know, it is Sunday, she will get you help. Her number is, 574-361-6006. You can pm me and I will also sen you the number for Tadd Jenkins, the president of Jayco Motorized division. If you would feel better pm me with you phone number and I will get it to Joyce so that she can call you. Jayco is concerned and wants to make your coach handle right. I have had many dealings with these good people and they are here to help.

2016 Cornerstone 45B on order
Formerly 2011 & 2013 Anthems
2014 Lincoln MKT towed
Old 06-22-2015, 12:09 AM   #5

Thank you all for your concern and advice!
Old 06-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #6

Did you contact Joyce? Hope, she is very helpful. Hope you get it fixed soon.

2016 Cornerstone 45B on order
Formerly 2011 & 2013 Anthems
2014 Lincoln MKT towed
Old 06-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #7

abwhit, CONGRATULATIONS AND WELCOME TO THE FORUMS. Join the Precept Owners Group.....see link

Jayco RV Owners Forum

We have had our 2015 31 UL for a year and we started out with the identical steering handling problems you are having. Alignment was checked and in specs. Tires aired to 83# (recommended), unit was weighed, loaded. Still felt like the "tail was wagging the dog" syndrome.
I had a rear trac bar added and also added a steering stabilizer on the steer axle. The trac bar really made a measureable difference but I still have play in the steering. I have been in conversation with Jayco CS on numerous occasions about the handling/steering and have been told by them "they've never had any complaints". hmmmmmmmmmmmm
I'll keep the info Ann n Gene posted and maybe go to the next level.
As a side note, if you pull a toad, make sure the toad's alignment is correct.

If you look on iRV2.com under the chassis threads, you will see the F53 chassis has a lot of conversation about the handling issues.
Keep us posted. Keep the faith.
dm.akafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #8

Jayco steering problems

Thank you all for your advise. We took the coach to the Ford dealer and they couldn't/wouldn't do anything. We then took it to a truck alignment center and had it re-aligned. No improvement whatsoever. The next option was to install sway bars, airbags etc etc. We kinda feel that the "box" is just at the max weight for the chassis. We ended up selling and bought a diesel super C. It drives like a dream The interior is nicer in the Jayco, but we would rather feel safe. Thank again for all the advice!
Old 09-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #9

abwhit......thanks for the update. We understand your decision. If you don't mind, would you share what super C you went with. Thank you.
Enjoy the ride, savor the memories,
Darrell
Old 09-05-2015, 10:47 PM   #10

We bought a 2015 Thor Four Winds Super C 33SW. We are really enjoying it. It sits on a Ford 550 chassis. The deisel has plenty of power and drives great. Of course, as with all RV's, we've had a couple of problems, but nothing serious.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwhit View Post
We bought a 2015 Thor Four Winds Super C 33SW. We are really enjoying it. It sits on a Ford 550 chassis. The deisel has plenty of power and drives great. Of course, as with all RV's, we've had a couple of problems, but nothing serious.
Really glad you like your unit. The F550 w/power stroke is an awesome unit.
Work out the little bugs and enjoy
Thanks for the info.
Darrell
Old 02-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #12

We purchased a 31UL and we truly loved everything about it except the handling..IMHO it bordered on being unsafe..after driving many others RV's over the years, I didnt buy the "nothings wrong and its normal" answers I got..I heard later that they had a sway bar that fixed the J-ride..that thing was anything but pleasurable to drive and made our trips very uncomfortable..the entire trips were spent chasing the front end all over the road..I didnt get into RVing to have that kind of experience..I had 3248 miles on mine and drove into the nearest RV dealer to where we were staying in Florida and found a Monoco that we fell in love with and enjoy to this day..I, in good conscience, could not recommend the Precept to anyone and I truly hope Jayco listened to some of those complaints they never received and fixed this model for all to enjoy..I recommend any one interesting in buying one of these take a long ride at speed and see how you like the handling..mine could have just been a bad apple..good luck and happy camping to one and all!
iminhogheave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:29 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Precept

2016 31UL Precept. Drives straight and safe from the first mile and is still a pleasure after 4000 miles. It still needed extras to make it what it should have been to begin with. I feel lucky. How about some serious competition for Ford.....please! Just imagine a top notch chassis for Class A gas! I do love the Jayco product and support.
Rider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:49 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider99 View Post
2016 31UL Precept. Drives straight and safe from the first mile and is still a pleasure after 4000 miles. It still needed extras to make it what it should have been to begin with. I feel lucky. How about some serious competition for Ford.....please! Just imagine a top notch chassis for Class A gas! I do love the Jayco product and support.
What other extras are you referring to?
boater1217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, jayco, steering