RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:54 AM   #1

Local Dealer Won't Work on Other Dealer RV

I found some great deals on Jayco Greyhawks at the Pomona (CA) RV show last weekend, but while my local(ish) Jayco dealer says he will match the show price, his dealership won't work on an RV bought from another dealer. My local dealer wasn't at the show and the one that was at the show is located far away. I emailed Jayco to ask them about this and they answered that any dealer could work on the RV, but I should contact them first to see if they would. Is it usual to be refused service if the RV isn't purchased from the dealer being asked to do repair/warranty work? What would you do if the unit broke down and you weren't close to the dealer who sold you the RV?

Wendsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 06:14 AM   #2

Fix it yourself... If he'll match the show prices what's the problem, buy local.

marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:20 AM   #3

you buy a Chevrolet new and move to another local and then what???they have to work on it . Now like my local jayco dealer they put you on a VERY long waiting list...total bs..one great way to not build a future customer-I will never ever ever buy from that dealer but I will dump my waste at there free dump site.
ukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:29 AM   #4

Maybe they have so much work they just don't care?
How often do jaycos need work?
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:35 AM   #5

I have actually been in a situation where one dealer will not work on another dealer's car. I have also been in a situation where one dealer will not honor their long term warranty plan sold through the manufacturer. Both were rectified.

Back many years ago, servicemen could buy a car when re entering the country at a deep discount .. or they could be sourced from the local company (at a lesser discount) at their new base. The local ford dealership would not honor the warranty on cars that were not bought from him..and I don't think that was ever resolved..

But as the OP states...usually they will work on your rig but yiou will be at the end of the line. ..which is odd because after warranty is over, that is where the dealership makes their coin..
Old 10-21-2015, 06:39 AM   #6

This is part of the reason I began looking at the factory direct manufacturers like Lazy Daze, Born Free and Nexus. I am in the early stages of negotiations with Nexus right now. The closest Jayco dealer to me is nearly 3 hours away. The closest Forester dealer is 2 hours and he already stated that if they don't sell it they don't work on it.
Coachmen is also 2 hours away. There is a large Winnebago dealer about a half hour from me but his reputation as far as service and pricing is awful. At least 6 out of 10 people I have talked to have said they would never go back there again.
I have a friend who owns a independent rv repair shop and is 10 minutes from my house. Any of the factory direct dealers are happy to set him up as doing warranty work. They feel by working with certified independent repair shops they will build a bigger network to better service their customers.

The factory direct units are certainly worth looking into for any first time or veteran rv buyer.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:14 AM   #7

Wish I could fix it myself! I wondered if the salesman was just trying to pressure me into buying from him. Guess, from the other responses, he was being honest. If they don't sell it, they don't fix it. Odd.
Wendsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:45 AM   #8

Maybe he was talking about warranty repairs. I think they get less money for that. That dealership would be too exclusive for me. I would get a list from the manufacturer of the local mom and pops you can use. They care about their reputation, the service people have usually been there a while, and the prices on service / parts is better.
Also, the salesman may have been lying. We're his lips moving?
Old 10-22-2015, 03:03 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any dealer refusing to work on a vehicle/RV not purchased there deserves to be exposed. Sure, they have the "right" to refuse service to anyone, but if we hit another major recession, they will be begging for business and their bad reputation will sink them.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:29 AM   #10

Look for a good independent RV repair shop.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:00 AM   #11

I quite frankly support the dealer in this situation. He has indicated he will match the price and provide service to you. If you then choose to buy elsewhere why would you expect him to provide service as a convenience to you?

This is a totally different situation than if you are passing through and need immediate service or move into the area and want to have them service your unit.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
This is part of the reason I began looking at the factory direct manufacturers like Lazy Daze, Born Free and Nexus. I am in the early stages of negotiations with Nexus right now. The closest Jayco dealer to me is nearly 3 hours away. The closest Forester dealer is 2 hours and he already stated that if they don't sell it they don't work on it.
Coachmen is also 2 hours away. There is a large Winnebago dealer about a half hour from me but his reputation as far as service and pricing is awful. At least 6 out of 10 people I have talked to have said they would never go back there again.
I have a friend who owns a independent rv repair shop and is 10 minutes from my house. Any of the factory direct dealers are happy to set him up as doing warranty work. They feel by working with certified independent repair shops they will build a bigger network to better service their customers.

The factory direct units are certainly worth looking into for any first time or veteran rv buyer.

Has anyone asked Jayco if they will allow a non Jayco dealer to work on the Jayco's like the factory direct people do?
Happyday4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I quite frankly support the dealer in this situation. He has indicated he will match the price and provide service to you. If you then choose to buy elsewhere why would you expect him to provide service as a convenience to you?...
I agree w/Tom here. Your dealer offered to match the show price to get your business. Now, I wouldn't refuse to service your RV if you bought elsewhere, but I'd sure put you at the end of the line for service if you bought from someone else after I extended that courtesy on price.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #14

I have a very different thought about this subject.some years back,I sold Winnebago rvs.we had potential customer come in every few weeks to see where he could buy the cheapest. I made that very statement: we will not service other dealers " warranty issues ". He called Winnebago and we were told to honer their warranty. Yes he did in fact buy the coach cheaper, but quess what,they never did pdi or walk through with customer. When we submitted all of the" warranty issues " to Winnebago, we where denied getting paid because this all should have been covered under pdi.this of course turned in bloody nitemare and customer made us the bad guys.To preserve our reputation we fixed everything on our nickel and I spent 3 hours on walkthrough.what conclusion can we come to on this?

kenautoone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer