RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #1

Smile New Member - still trying to figure out what to buy

Hello all,
I just signed up. I’m trying to figure out what RV to buy, so I’m hoping y’all can lend me a hand. I went to my local RV Show last weekend, and I really liked the Jayco Redhawk SE 22A they had on display. The size seemed perfect for me, my small dog and cat.
Can someone point me in the right direction to a specific forum or area of the site I should visit to get some tips on what I should be considering when deciding on an RV?
Many thanks to anyone who’s willing to help out this newbie!
- Eleanor

Zmplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 08:56 PM   #2
Member since 2005

Winnebago Owners Club
We have found for us that floor plan is #1, over many years and many motorhomes.

We recently switched from Jayco to Winnebago and we have owned other brands before that.
One of the advantages of Jayco over others is the 2 year factory warranty.

You have joined the most popular and best RV forums on the Internet. If you take some time and read all that you can you will find what works for best you.

Cheers!

Old 02-21-2019, 09:57 PM   #3

Any first timer buyer, needs to take 10 steps back and consider a lot. This is a BIG purchase.

Rent something for a couple of weekends to see if you even like camping.

After that, look for a used RV similar to what you are considering. 3 to 5 years old. Use it for a couple of years. You will find out a lot about RVing and have a much better idea what you really want.

I will also add there IS a reason why the Ford chassis has been the best selling chassis for Class C RVs for a long, LONG time !
Old 02-21-2019, 10:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever used an RV?

If not I'd suggest renting one for a week or so. You'll learn a lot that you just can't read about.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:49 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
I'm pleasantly pleased with my 2018 Redhawk 25R. What sold us was #1, was the floor plan. I traveled from New England to Louisiana just to purchase this particular unit!
While I understand the recommendations of some to try a used unit first, only you know your financial situation. We had tent camped for years and made the decision last year to purchase an RV. No way was I going to buy someone else's problems or sit/sleep in someone else's funk. I jumped in both feet and bought brand new. I didn't know enough about RV's to buy used, I had never even been in one before. I figured I'd rather learn on a new unit. The Jayco offered me the comfort of the 2 year warranty to learn my coach in the first year, while giving me another year to fix anything I couldn't.
You only live once, go for it!
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Eleanor! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

The biggest mistake you can make right now is to get in too big a hurry and buy something on impulse. Take your time, visit as many dealerships as you can, and look at every detail. It would be great if you have an experienced RV'er that would spend time and help you with the process.

Decide on the maximum price you are able and willing to spend and only look at RVs under that price.

If you will be spending a lot of time in the RV then the floorplan is very important.

Better get busy, you've got a lot of tire kicking to do!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #7

Thank you all

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post and for your insight. I canít wait to look around and figure out what will work for me the best. I wish it were possible to rent an RV for a month without spending a fortune. I feel like it might take that long to figure out if a given make and model will work for you.

Maybe Iím wrong. Iím interested in finding out how long it took you to realize that you didnít like a certain floor plan. Is it almost immediate?
Zmplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:43 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Within a couple days you will start having strong feelings about what you like or, more important, what you DON'T like.

A week is plenty of time, no need to go for a month.

Keep in mind interior layout is the most important part of the decision process.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:03 AM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Keep in mind..
Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
When You tour/view "In Person" any perspective coach..
View it First with all slides retracted,
If the coach is fully usable without the slides extended, then give it a second look.
(Think wally-docking,rest areas,truckstops...any where that you cannot/do not have room for the slides to be extended)

BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
IF the perspective coach seems a bit small but still "DO-Able" .......REMEMBER!!!
What seemed small... becomes unbearably TINY
after being Coop'd up" for a week or more due to weather...
(AKA.....Cabin Fever)
And.... You WILL make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....(sometimes more than twice..)
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:48 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmplant View Post
T I wish it were possible to rent an RV for a month without spending a fortune. I feel like it might take that long to figure out if a given make and model will work for you.

Maybe I’m wrong. I’m interested in finding out how long it took you to realize that you didn’t like a certain floor plan. Is it almost immediate?
Renting is a good idea but as you have found out, renting is expensive!!!

Although I have never rented an RV, I have looked into it. The most expensive cost is the mileage they charge per mile.

So, lets look at renting another way. You live in a most beautiful part off NY. See who rents in your area. Then jump on here:New York Campground Reviews - The Best of New York Camping - Campground Reviews and see what camp grounds are close to your home. Heck, the Adirondack's have to be loaded with camp grounds and always look into the state parks.

Now when renting, chances are you may not have a large choice of floorpans or size of the RV. But in my view there is so more more to RVing than floor plans. RVing is a life style and work.

By renting an RV and hitting a close to your home campground, you can experience the lifestyle, albeit for a weekend, a week, a month.

This way you'll be able to "learn" what it takes to "camp". You'll have an idea of what you would really want in an RV and perhaps a particular floor plan.

Do you want auto jacks or are you willing to level by placing boards under the wheels?? So many things to figure out.

The best advice so far is to take your time - these machines are a big investment for most.

Here is a camp ground I stay at when I visit my daughter in Schenectady: Arrowhead Marina & RV Park - Schenectady, NY - Campground Reviews

Not the most lux but it would serve your purpose and the camp is right on the Mohawk with beautiful views and not too far from your house. When you get a day where the weather is nice, take a ride there in your car and see what it looks like.

I use to recruit in that area with an office in Schenectady. Been to Gloversville many times recruiting and to friends camps and boating on Great Sacandaga.....

Gook luck. I am excited for you! More questions? Fire away......

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:01 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheDJ View Post
I'm pleasantly pleased with my 2018 Redhawk 25R. What sold us was #1, was the floor plan. I traveled from New England to Louisiana just to purchase this particular unit!
While I understand the recommendations of some to try a used unit first, only you know your financial situation. We had tent camped for years and made the decision last year to purchase an RV. No way was I going to buy someone else's problems or sit/sleep in someone else's funk. I jumped in both feet and bought brand new. I didn't know enough about RV's to buy used, I had never even been in one before. I figured I'd rather learn on a new unit. The Jayco offered me the comfort of the 2 year warranty to learn my coach in the first year, while giving me another year to fix anything I couldn't.
You only live once, go for it!
We did the same thing. Bought new but the big reason was floor plan. I wanted a walk around bed nice size bathroom with large shower without a huge step up to get in it. Comfortable seating like recliners not couches. Then we wanted auto level system since I can't crawl around on the ground putting blocks under the wheels. Just little things to. Once we found a floor plan that met our needs , I started watch every add on that model for 3 months and one popped up that was a deal we could live with. Ours was priced 89,000 to 116,000 and we got it less then the 89000 with full paint not stickers. You just have to find the right dealer that,s hungry. Good luck.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:36 AM   #12

I like "new" but if you buy new, you have to be prepared that if you decide you want something different, you're going to take a hit on resale or trade in. Jayco's two year warranty is a plus, but I would also suggest looking at the Winnebago line. Then, really think about how you plan to use it especially in terms of whether it will be mainly for short trips or for longer trips. If you hope to take extended trips, then consider storage space (and cargo weight capacity). What's difficult without experience is knowing how you will handle living in a limited space. So when you look at a floor plan, think in terms of hitting really lousy weather and you have to spend a day or two inside!

Before purchasing our Bay Star last year, we considered class C units. The one thing I would really want in a class C would be that the driver and passenger seats be able to swivel around to become part of the living area. I'd also want a comfortable couch as well as dining area. Then, make sure the galley will work for the type of cooking you plan to do. Consider whether you need a walk around bed or are you willing for one of you to have to climb over the other for nighttime bathroom calls. Consider whether there is adequate wardrobe and other storage for clothing. I've seen some RVs lately that only have one small wardrobe for hanging clothes and that would never work for us. We've gotten by with two wardrobes (one on each side of the bed), and that would be the minimum we would requires as we take trips up to two months long. Then, make sure you actually stand in the shower and move as though you are taking one! Different shower configurations can make a difference and a corner shower may or may not be better than a rectangular one.

You can see that by my comments, we would consider the Jayco SE 22A too small for our needs. It may be fine for you....but I would consider some of the advantages of some of the larger units. But, you have to consider whether the class C will also be your vehicle for sightseeing, going to the store etc. It it is, smaller can be better. If you want to tow a car, then a larger unit can have the capacity to tow a car but it isn't cheap getting a car setup for towing along with purchasing towbar, etc. So that's something else to consider.

But...just take your time and look at a lot. Keep in mind that it is so common for people to have to own an rv or two before they really know what they need and want in one. Financially, it's much better to buy one and keep it for the long haul. Good luck!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:49 AM   #13

Just as a comparison, take a look at the Minnie Winnie 26A. It's a little bigger, but has so much more livability in my opinion.
https://www.lichtsinn.com/product/ne...-26a-865128-16
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmplant View Post
Thank you to everyone who responded to my post and for your insight. I can’t wait to look around and figure out what will work for me the best. I wish it were possible to rent an RV for a month without spending a fortune. I feel like it might take that long to figure out if a given make and model will work for you.

Maybe I’m wrong. I’m interested in finding out how long it took you to realize that you didn’t like a certain floor plan. Is it almost immediate?

Putting your question in reverse...on our last two fifth wheels we knew IMMEDIATELY that "this is it".

We had seen lots that we (immediately) knew weren't right for one reason or another. Things like:

> Television on the back wall and seating looking across the coach - not at the Television.

> Island that wrapped around and caused a "clog" with two people trying to be in the kitchen area.

> No room in the bedroom to change clothes, much less to make up the bed.

> Cheap-looking/feeling furniture and/or cabinetry.

> Booth-type dining rather than dinette with chairs.

I firmly believe you'll know what is right and what isn't.

We rushed into our first RV purchase ever back in 2001 and traded about two years later, but we sure learned a lot about what we DIDN'T want.

Basically

Tags