Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2017, 12:36 AM   #1

Newbie advice on: Tow Mirrors, Battery disconnect, Mattresses

Three things for today?
1. Mattress:

We moved form Fleetwood popup which had 2 king really comfy foam mattresses. (REALLY comfy) and are finding our Jayco 2015 x17A has much lower quality, less dense foam. (In fact almost everything is just a little lower quality than the Fleetwood..) The mattress folds in this hybrid so I can't just lay a topper on it and besides, we're towing with a Highlander so weight is an issue and memory foam is quite heavy.

Is there a place you recommend for the foam? Is there a certain "number" (density, gauge, whatever) I should be looking for? I'm thinking of just stuffing the new foam into the old covers; otherwise, need two 30" "mattresses" for each queen bed. Ideas?

2. Battery quick disconnect:
Our old one had a simple white plastic connector that pulled apart when parked in the driveway and not plugged into electricity do the detectors wouldn't drain battery. New one has a vampire radio I just installed a toggle switch, when camping, but what about the battery? I can't seem o locate a cheap connector online or in the local auto/camping shops. Ideas?

3. Tow mirrors:
We've ordered a Furrion observation camera, but think we should try side mirrors. As said, TV is Highlander and no slip on mirrors seem to exist. (I found a killer pair for $5 at Goodwill yesterday, but they didn't fit, naturally.) So, do you recommend spending for the Grand Aero 3 which are easy on/off and supposedly don't jiggle per the Apache dealer, or what do you think about the less $ strap-on kinds (and which one: CIPA 11950, Curt, Fitsystem, Source Clip-on...)

THANKS! You guys are great!
PoulsboMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2017, 06:49 AM   #2

The row mirrors made a world of difference for me
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:24 PM   #3

Any particular brand of Towing mirrors? How do you feel about the strap ons?
PoulsboMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:37 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
I have a pair of CIPA 10900 mirrors on a 2012 Chevrolet Tahoe and they work REALLY well. There's virtually no vibration - even on rough roads and the wedge lock keeps them secure. I'm not familiar with the CIPA 11950, but others have indicated issues with the strap-on style.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, battery, battery disconnect, newbie, tow