Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #1

Unhappy Open Range, Jayco new owners question

Now that Jayco is the new proud owner of OPEN RANGE, what type of support are the owners going to have, such as questions about the 5th wheels they purchased from OPEN RANGE, plus helping them with troubling problems? I would like to know.
Cartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Hard to say but I recently noticed that the 2016 OR models are cheaper looking this year like the Jayco models have been doing every year for the past several years.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:32 PM   #3

Open Range is Jayco the new owners or Highland

Well now I am not sure who owns Open Range, we are so disappointed because they seem not to back up there product, It's hard to find information on parts etc. to replace items that are broken or malfunction.
Would like to find someone who knows this 5th Wheel inside and out for help.
R. E. Nibarger
Cartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #4

Did you call Jayco Customer service direct, they should be able to tell you...
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartist View Post
Well now I am not sure who owns Open Range, we are so disappointed because they seem not to back up there product, It's hard to find information on parts etc. to replace items that are broken or malfunction.
R. E. Nibarger
Jayco has in fact purchased Open Range. However, they operate as totally separate companies as far as we customers are concerned. Each has its own manufacturing, warranty service and staffs.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Hard to say but I recently noticed that the 2016 OR models are cheaper looking this year like the Jayco models have been doing every year for the past several years.
LadyFitz,
As someone looking to replace my current 5th Wheel, I would appreciate you sharing what it is you saw in the 2016 OR models that is "cheaper looking".
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:05 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCADesertRat View Post
Jayco has in fact purchased Open Range. However, they operate as totally separate companies as far as we customers are concerned. Each has its own manufacturing, warranty service and staffs.
Maybe and maybe not. Just depends on what Jayco tells them to do. Cutting back on support/service/quality/staffing is one way to cut expenses and add profit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Maybe and maybe not. Just depends on what Jayco tells them to do. Cutting back on support/service/quality/staffing is one way to cut expenses and add profit.
I intended to refer to customer contact - the buyers' concerns with warranty issues -- not intending to infer that Jayco would not have any positive or negative influence over OR. "Parents" always influence their "kids" for better or worse.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
LadyFitz,
As someone looking to replace my current 5th Wheel, I would appreciate you sharing what it is you saw in the 2016 OR models that is "cheaper looking".
Thanks in advance.
The first thing I noticed was the valences and swags were replaced with a cheap looking valence that looks like short shower curtains (big, grommeted holes in the top of a flat curtain threaded over the curtain rod. The pleated shade was replaced with a cheap looking flat blackout shade that barely covers the window, letting light in through the sides and eliminating any privacy since there are no swags or lambrequins to block light or snoopy eyes.

Over on the OR forums, there have been complaints about OR switching to a cheaper slide motor gearbox and drive shaft that have been stripping and breaking and that OR was using undersized switches and wiring for the slides.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
The first thing I noticed was the valences and swags were replaced with a cheap looking valence that looks like short shower curtains (big, grommeted holes in the top of a flat curtain threaded over the curtain rod. The pleated shade was replaced with a cheap looking flat blackout shade that barely covers the window, letting light in through the sides and eliminating any privacy since there are no swags or lambrequins to block light or snoopy eyes.

Over on the OR forums, there have been complaints about OR switching to a cheaper slide motor gearbox and drive shaft that have been stripping and breaking and that OR was using undersized switches and wiring for the slides.
Thanks LadyFitz.

I appreciate your observations.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartist View Post
R. E. Nibarger
Open Range is still run by Randy Graber but was required to create a new name when Jayco purchased them, it's called Highland Ridge RV/Open Range. They have several product lines 3x, Roamer, Light, Journeyer, Mesa Ridge, Highlander (toy hauler) and a new line coming out this fall Ultralight. Jayco may own the company but it is still under Randy's control and doing very well. If you need service or parts contact Highland Ridge RV in Shipshewana, IN. I think you'll find they treat their customers very well.
Lvtocmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks LadyFitz.

I appreciate your observations.
The new slides are 42 inches and need a bigger motor. Also the company has replaced switches on most units that got the bad switches. Ours work great now. We've had very good service from the service center. Our dealer was useless when it came to getting a repair done, so we took it to the factory and were treated very well. As for the new curtains with the big grommets in them 'I love them'. To me they look modern.
Lvtocmp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco