Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #1

Preparing to purchase 2017 Precept 31ul

I will appreciate all comments. This will be my first RV. I have researched motor homes for months and the 31ul was the winner on paper. Does it handle any better than other motor homes? My wife likes the interior and exterior of the Coachman Mirada. There are many negative comments no mater what motor home I choose. In the long run has my research done any good?
Did you find the best motor home? Suggestions wanted.

Thank you,
Chuck
Chuck1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
WDW

Preparing to purchase 2017 Precept 31ul

We had the same dilemma issue. We also thought that continuing ownership with Jayco was the right thing to do. We were reasonably satisfied with our Greyhawk.

However at the end of the day the features options and price of the Mirada won out over the limitations and the overpriced nature of the Precept. What pushed us over the top was the pricing and dealing with a particular Buffalo RV dealer as compared to where we purchased. Also a factor was our experience in getting the unit serviced with that dealer and we didn't want to continue with the same frustrations.

A good example is that we have a residential style refrigerator. Not the Norcold style. Some folks would prefer that for dry camping we don't.

We also valued having a very large shower and a bath and a half bunkhouse configuration. Jayco does not offer that option.

As for drivability of our Coachmen, we have it adjusted and we feel that it drives very well. However we have added a couple of undercarriage enhancements that are probably needed in about 80% of the units out there in the F53 series regardless of brand.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
We picked up our Precept 31UL last Wednesday, drove it to SC in what can only be described as a light hurricane and it handled really well. We love the bigger tires and the extra sway bars and the new Jride. That being said, it was our first purchase and although we cannot compare it to anything, I thought it handled very well. We do have some minor things we have to take it back for like none of the usb ports worked and the passenger seat won't move, but all in all we are very happy with it. Where do you live, we bought ours in Tampa, Fl.
cyclinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #4

We live north of Houston. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:34 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can find a fair amount of complaints on the 31ul handling (16 and before), we have a 16 added one undercarriage add on, drives fine to me, wife loves the layout. Bottom line all is well with our 31ul, I do like the larger tires/wheels the 17 has.

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #7

Looking at at 31UL vs the Fleetwood Flair 30U. Many dealers have 2106 30UL at a great price right now. Our local Fleetwood dealer says the Jayco's motorhomes are crap and they actually sell the Jayco travel trailers. But i love the features of the 31UL. IS the quality ok?
hogcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogcard View Post
Looking at at 31UL vs the Fleetwood Flair 30U. Many dealers have 2106 30UL at a great price right now. Our local Fleetwood dealer says the Jayco's motorhomes are crap and they actually sell the Jayco travel trailers. But i love the features of the 31UL. IS the quality ok?
All dealers will knock the ones they don't sell. I think Jayco offers more extras on their Motorhomes.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
We don't have a 31UL but we do have a 35UN, We love it, After looking for several years at Motorhomes, we decided that the Jayco Precept was the right choice for us, We thought the quality was generally better then others in the same price range, There will be opinions on both sides with this, All I can say is Jayco's 2 year warranty is also a very nice perk with the Precept, Many use the same components but that extra year of warranty helps get the bugs out without the out of pocket expense.

Good luck on your search.
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36UN at CS.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	510.1 KB
ID:	139032  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma33 View Post
We don't have a 31UL but we do have a 35UN, We love it, After looking for several years at Motorhomes, we decided that the Jayco Precept was the right choice for us, We thought the quality was generally better then others in the same price range, There will be opinions on both sides with this, All I can say is Jayco's 2 year warranty is also a very nice perk with the Precept, Many use the same components but that extra year of warranty helps get the bugs out without the out of pocket expense.

Good luck on your search.
Nick
Thanks. We think a like. It should be in around the first of the month.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #11

Yes, your research is valuable! We recently purchased our very first MH and what we thought at first is not at all what we ended up with and we are extremely happy that we spent the time researching! Have fun! Go to some shows, list pros and cons, but in the end there will be some things you don't get and some that you do.
Clarkrvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkrvlife View Post
Yes, your research is valuable! We recently purchased our very first MH and what we thought at first is not at all what we ended up with and we are extremely happy that we spent the time researching! Have fun! Go to some shows, list pros and cons, but in the end there will be some things you don't get and some that you do.
Thank you. I gained a lot of knowledge and will spend a lot more money.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We LOVED our Mirada! I added a rear sway bar and Steer Safe to the front. It drove well to begin with but adding the extras made it drive like a different coach. We would still be in her if the amazing deal for our American Coach had not fell in our lap.

I can personally vouch for the excellent condition of this Mirada we traded in if you might be interested. Tom Johnson just put it on their website for sale the other day. we hope someone will love her as much as we did.

DISCLAIMER: This is only the link to the coach we traded in. I have no interest in the selling of this motorhome. I only hope someone here would buy it. Then I could keep up and know she is loved.

Used 2015 Forest River Coachmen 35ls Mirada Class A For Sale 1342546
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:58 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 16 31ul and am pleased with it.It has had a couple recalls and Jayco let me take to local private rv place. I did not have to deal with CW. I am sure you will enjoy the 225 tires. Check and see if Ford has fixed the tow haul transmission problem. We had to get 5star tune to make work.All i have done to mine is 5star,chf and increased tire pressure. I am pleased.
edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase