Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2019, 06:22 AM   #1

Question Residential Refrigerators

Do you have a residential refrigerator and have you boondocked with it? I understand they are electric only. We're told they are every effecient. I think we were told that the rig has a larger inverter? Is that true? I'm interested to hear your experience with boondocking and are you happy with it's performance overall? How do you clear the water line for the icemaker when you winterize the unit?

We're purchasing a 2020 Precept 31ul and should have it by mid May!
Thank you. 2SC
2shadycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2019, 06:51 AM   #2

We have a fifth wheel w/res fridge--have done a lot of dry camping. With factory inverter and 2 cheap batts, was able to drive between CGs before needing to recharge batts.
Simple stuff--if you take out more amps than you put in, the batts are coming down in charge. More/larger batts help, but still like a bank account--Went to solar, if have sun, unlimited time away from gen use; rainy/cloudy, more gen use.
First improvement is more and better/larger batteries, and the fridge will work well between hookups. For boondocking, you WILL need some source of recharge almost daily--solar or gen use.
Keep in mind, small solar setup not too expensive, but larger panel arrays and bigger inverters/wiring gets up in $$ in a hurry if you have it done by a professional. AMSolar did ours.
As to the water line for the icemaker--all I do is disconnect at the supply valve and let water drain out as it is all uphill from the valve. Not sure if that works for all fridges.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:08 AM   #3

Thank you!
Old 04-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #4

I have never used the unit. I do believe that it is an RV unit, but even if it isn't, with the massive auto start generator, if is a moot point. We had planned on doing a lot of dry camping with it.
tomden2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #5

I added 700w of solar and changed the four 6v batteries to Battle Born drop in LiFePo replacements because we are energy hogs when boondocking and didn't want to use the genny all the time. (1000w & 6 batteries would have been better/just right)
If only using fridge (with icemaker) and satelite TV only we would never have to use genny even on overcast days, BUT with othet stupid energy hogs, we need to run genny ~4 hours/day.
Part of the generator run time is due to limited charging amps (~60amps) compared to what batteries could take (~120amps), so I'll be adding an additional charger to supercharge the batteries in half the time.
I always run the genny when using the microwave, because that this will draw ~150 amps (from the inverter), or for other crazy loads and shut the fridge off overnight just to conserve power so we can use our coffee maker first thing in the morning (during quiet hours..)
My wife loves all of the storage!
Old 04-22-2019, 06:47 PM   #6

HaRVey,

My husband understood what you said, LOL.

Thank you.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #7

Haha, point taken...

Tags
refrigerator, residential refrigerator