Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #1

The BBB, Jayco and the dealer

Finally decided to submit a complaint to the BBB about the Precept against both Jayco and the dealership. My, my. Dealers response was that they did everything on the list regarding warranty issues! NOT. Jayco has responded with a matter-of-fact letter stating they have done everything to the "nth degree" to help me with my issues. They claim that both my dealer and Jayco has addressed my "concerns" and believes that all equipment is "performing" as intended (?). Dealer has confirmed "inspections" on such equipment too. NOT. I must laugh here - Jayco rep Craig Newcomer stated in his response that "the customer has owned several previous motorhomes, but NONE have been of the Class A type." Interesting!! We have owned a 2003 Itasca Sunrise and a 2007 Itasca Sunrise. This man knows it because it was written in my complaint and the dealer knows it because he could not give me a "fair" trade-in price so I contacted the dealer whom I purchased it from in 2007, and they came down from Kansas and purchased it without any inspection. This dealership has known me since 2001 and know we take care of our motorhomes!! Jayco has been "building" RV's for over 50 years. But, Jayco has only been "building" the Precept since 2014. Add your own comments. The enjoyment continues and should you have any concerns, let me know.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #2

You really didn't tell us anything other than you're not happy with the dealership or the manufacturer.
You left us to assume what the issues are. Unless you give us some info or it's on another thread you were just venting which is fine.

okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #3

Ok, I went back and read all of your threads (several) about your problem. Bummer. On the other hand at least there are long term solutions that have been laid out for you. I agree that you shouldn't "have" to do this for handling problems on a new rig. Apparently some gassers have this issue from different manufacturers. I do think you have to take some responsibility here. Didn't you take this for a decent drive? You would have noticed with it being as bad as it is.

It seems like some of the threads that weren't going your way you didn't respond to.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:45 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
The 2017 31UL is now being built on a longer wheelbase, I was just at the factory a couple of weeks ago and saw the 2017's on the line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36UN.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	129620  
Old 06-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #5

Since we had previously purchased a motorhome from them, no we did not do a "road test" because I believed that they had taken care of any issues with the PDI list. After begging, we finally got a copy of it last November and the only thing they tested for a Class A was the icemaker. Believe me, I am not happy at all with this situation. I really enjoy the overall size and convenience especially for two people. How would this rep have any idea what we owned in the past. I have never spoken with him. We have had two Itasca's before this. My dealership does not have the proper equipment or certified mechanics to dive into a Class A or C. This dealership mostly deals in trailers and fifth wheels. The fact that I have been "promised" things for so long is why I'm at my wit's end. P.S. the fact that I am a female just further infurates me because of the way I am treated by both Jayco and the dealer.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #6

The question remains as to why Jayco is building a longer wheelbase for the 2017 Precepts. Any particular reason for this??????
Old 06-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #7

I truly hope you are able to make this the RV that you were after. It is a shame you're probably going to have to do it yourself.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Who have you dealt with at Jayco? Have you spoke to their service department?
Old 06-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #9

I have spoken with two different customer service people. One last October when the issues began, I spoke with Roger Johnson and to no avail would he correct any of my concerns (my dealer suggested I speak with them because I am the owner) and nothing happened. Under the "warranty" I could drive the unit to Indiana from Louisiana on my dime(!) and wait for eternity. The last person I spoke with was Randy West. It got so heated between us that I asked him if he was "scripted" to say such things! I had to constantly call him! I would like to find a qualified dealer that can work on Jayco Class A's because as I said earlier, this dealership does not have the work space or mechanics to do the job. They are more for trailers and 5th wheels. If I have to put additional $$ in myself, Jayco will not be getting any kudo's because I will orate it openly.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
* What are the actual issues in dispute?
* You seem have declined Jayco's offer for a factory return (your cost)
* It sounds like you've got a Chassis issue, but it's not clear.
* If a chassis issue, you're perhaps right that it's not in Jayco's wheelhouse. Should still be covered under warranty however.

In this type of dispute, likely Jayco is relying on the dealer if they haven't put hands-on the RV. And as you've stated, most of their business is trailer-type.

Likely, I'd counter the dealer by getting an independent opinion on <whatever is wrong> - I'd use that to put some pressure on Jayco to provide the resources to fix or provide them an opportunity to resolve in Indiana with that return trip cost being negotiated.

Jayco isn't a bad company. They are, however, perhaps relying on one data point (the dealer).

Be aware that Louisiana has Lemon Laws that include the chassis portion of motorized RVs. As such, it's not in Jayco's best interest to take it to Indiana and hold it for "eternity". Even as such, you'd need a written second opinion that there is an issue with the RV (other than your own) - that's probably what I'd seek out next.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my experience the BBB is a waste of time. All that happens is a response from the vendor contains a whole bunch of incorrect information, usually blaming the end customer, and the BBB takes it and closes the issue.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
In my experience the BBB is a waste of time. All that happens is a response from the vendor contains a whole bunch of incorrect information, usually blaming the end customer, and the BBB takes it and closes the issue.
That was my experience with the BBB as well. You would think they were set up to serve the customer, but in fact, they serve the business.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #13

We don feel it is safe enough to drive almost 1,000 miles to Jayco in Indiana. Other than driving at a snail's pace it would take quite a few days to get there. They do not offer any accomodations, every $$ would be out of our pocket, you have to make an appointment with them at least 60 days prior to going and I don't think my husbands work would really enjoy him being gone so long or he would have to pay for a flight back out of his pocket.
We are going to take it to a dealership in Alexandra, La and hopefully we can get some resolve. Also, the BBB can be a pickle, but I am a determined woman who fights until the end!! Born in Indiana - Hoosier raised.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #14

So the answer to your primary issue is to do what many value priced Class A motorhome users do. Invest a couple thousand dollars into some suspension and handling package.

Tags
dealer, jayco