Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:37 AM   #15

2016 Alante 26AY here, forget the J-Ride hype, I still had to add Koni shocks (the OEM ones are small piston but that's a Ford thing) a rear Trac-Bar (comes with a front one) a Safety-T-Steer, and do the CHF on the sway bars to get a good ride. This is after all a F53 chassis and they are known for bad handling. I drove buses and semi's for years but never had so much sway and tail wagging as I did when I got this RV. I like the RV a lot (after fixing the normal, or so it seems, factory mistakes) but the Ford chassis leaves a lot to be desired, be prepared to spend 2K dialing in the handling unless you like white knuckle driving.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 05:37 AM   #16

We shopped for a motorhome for about a year - looked at everything (class A under 30'), but we had trouble finding a Alante 26 to look at. The info online made us think it might fit our needs. We travel a lot and use a motorhome for my wife's work. Through the year we travel from Maine to Florida. During our 3 months of travels in Florida we looked at a lot of dealers, Florida is a great place to shop for a RV btw.

There was one in Virginia that was a new 2016 leftover that's about 300 miles from our home. It had what we needed plus the price and build quality suited us - so we bought it.

But yes, we found it hard to find these.

I wonder how many they build a year...

As a side note, it drives pretty well and no modifications have been done yet. I do think it could be improved but it is no where near "white knuckle" driving. I don't think people are lying when they say theirs drive terribly, must be alignment or some other build related issue. I feel I was lucky to get a good one.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:15 AM   #17

Jayco Owners Club
My Precept 36UN, yup only 36UN out there, it's the prototype to the 35UN, drives like a luxury sedan, I added valve stem extenders to the Dullies, a Tire pressure monitoring system, I keep 100psi cold in all 4 tires and the coach is a pleasure to drive, No other modification, we leave from NJ to Yellowstone almost 5,000 mile round trip in 12 days! Cannot wait to get behind the wheel and enjoy the ride and most of all family time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36UN at CS.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	510.1 KB
ID:	169034  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #18

Jayco Owners Club
My Experience So Far

Ride/handling. Our Precept 35S handles just fine. Yes, semis and cross winds are attention getters, but once I lowered the front tires to 75 lbs (after getting 4 point weights and discussing correct inflation with Michelin), the handling improved considerably. (Don't do this unless you know your actual loaded weight). I never drove a million dollar Class A or a huge Semi tractor, so I can't compare my handling with them. It's a matter of expectations and the J-Ride meets mine. Could it be better? Probably. but I'm happy for now.

Things that go wrong. First, in a thousand different system components, the few problems I've had, though annoying, are probably not beyond the average. We are on a 12,000 mile trip to Alaska and back. Here's what broke so far.
1. Windshield wipers literally flew off the J-arms because the shafts were not tight through the front cap. Blades were ruined and windshield is scratched. Check those lock nuts. JAYCO says they will cover the fix, but the blades are really hard to find. They are WT-8 32 by Wiper Technology Inc and I found them at RVUpgrades.com.
2. Staples working out of upholstery tore the flooring under the sofa when I put the slide out. I did a minor rebuild on the sofa front panel and glued the strip back in the floor. Look for loose staples and pull them out.
3. Road noise and rattles/chipmunks/squirrels. We have an overhead bunk. The wiring harness in the cabinet over the driver rattles and bangs, Remove the panel and pad the fuse holder. The screech near the passenger seat went away when we released the window lock. Now we lock them at night and leave them free on the road. Peace at last.
4. The door chatters just like mentioned in another thread. Put black tape or duct tape on the pins and no more chatter. I renew it before the start of every travel day.

Overall we love the coach. Fortunately, I can fix little stuff. I take these minor annoyances in stride. For the price, I still think I'm better equipped than the competition. I intend to have words with the dealer about all this stuff and I keep JAYCO in the loop by phone and email.

Safe travels to you all.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by nma33 View Post
My Precept 36UN, yup only 36UN out there, it's the prototype to the 35UN, drives like a luxury sedan, I added valve stem extenders to the Dullies, a Tire pressure monitoring system, I keep 100psi cold in all 4 tires and the coach is a pleasure to drive, No other modification, we leave from NJ to Yellowstone almost 5,000 mile round trip in 12 days! Cannot wait to get behind the wheel and enjoy the ride and most of all family time.

Have you weighed your axles? The 100 psi seems high maybe 10-15 too high. Just asking.

Tags
jayco, sale