Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #1

01 Diplomat Slide Out Topper

Hi,
I have an 01 Monaco 38' Diplomat, and just got homefrom my 1st trip of the year. I had a problem with the slide out topper on my big slide, and was hoping to get some advise. I've owned it for 3 years now, never had any issues with the slides in the past, but on this trip, the fabric came loose while driving down the road. I noticed it, and stopped to correct it, I put the slide out and back in and it all seemed OK, except I put about a 8" rip in the end when it 1st opened up because it was all tangled up and I didn't notice. Anyway, all was Ok for about a week, when I noticed it did it again. So, I stopped and did the same thing, opened the slide, and closed it, but this time the fabric stopped rolling up when the slide was about half way in. I ended up sort of rolling it up by hand as the slide went it, and it all looked good, but only lasted a few miles down the road and was loose again. I did a quick internet search for a new slide topper fabric, since mine is now ripped, and unfortunately I discovered my slide topper is the Omega 1 or 2 style, which I guess was discontinued a number of years ago. I'm not sure what happened to mine, I have looked at it too close, but I'm guessing either my spring broke, or maybe just came loose ?? Anyone have any experience with this ? I don't want to spend a fortune but wonder if I'm going to need to change the whole unit to a newer style ? Any idea on cost ? Can a used one be found at a wrecking yard ?
Thanks
Michael

duckboatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi, Sorry about your problems. I have a 2007 Diplomat and I recently had all of my slide toppers fixed. The mobile RV guy took them to a seamstress (I think) and they cut off about 2' of the weathered matwerial and reinstalled them and now all are good. Maybe you can have yours fixed the same way? Good Luck!
Tom D.
Mesa AZ.
tomd85208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #3

Toughtop awnings in WA state. You will need brand and some measurements, bit they can make you new fabeic pretty cheap with quick turnaround. Takes two people with ladders and aboit 30 minutes for a big slide.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
With the slide all the way out, do you have good tension on the topper?
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #5

Hi,
Yes, with the slide all the way out it has good tension.
It's a carefree Colorado topper,

Thanks
Michael
duckboatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
One of mine was showing it's age last year, I was able to take it off, turn it around so the end that had been on the inside of the roller tube,,, and not weathered is now the one that rolls out first. There was quite a bit that was rolled up on the tube even when it was extended, very little in the weather that was showing before.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Only place I'd consider taking mine to, or getting a new one, is StoneVos (and I have gotten several thru them). 352-942-0224.
Chris and Ingrid are very knowledgable, fast and friendly.

{Disclaimer: I'm not associated with them in any way - just hoping they'll be around for as long as I might need them in the future }
Old 05-12-2019, 05:27 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
There are parts, fabric, and manuals available for both the omega 1 and 2 just not from carefree. Do a google search. I have uploaded the omega 2 manual to the files section under Manuals. There is also a spring tension guide there.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckboatking View Post
Hi,
Yes, with the slide all the way out it has good tension.
It's a carefree Colorado topper,

Thanks
Michael
I have the same slide topper and noticed when I brought the slide in, any leaf/wind blown juke on top of the fabric would get pulled into the topper cover. Maybe this has happened and jammed as you bring in your slide? Leaves some topper material out without any tension and wind can pull it and tear it?
rmacdon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hello, I have a 01 38' Diplomat and replaced both topper awnings. I used tough/tuff top awnings for mine as they do vinyl which is better for the rain in the NW. Very happy with turnaround and cost, easy install. Your other problem sounds like tension or broken spring. I had this problem with the bedroom slide and was a broken spring. Do a google search and easily find springs. Didn't go with Carefree. Good luck, Don
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out