Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
03 Dynasty replace Bilstein with Koni FSD problem

Our 03 Dynasty is just under 100,000 miles so I thought I would provide it a birthday milestone present by replacing the factory Bilstein shocks with Koni FSD shocks. This evening, after the temps cooled a little, I started with the front shocks. Got the first Bilstein off without a problem. Compared the two shocks before installing the new FSD and notice that the top mounting hole was larger than the old shock. Bottom hole measures 5/8" which is the same as the old shocks. Top hole measures just a hair under 3/4", old shock is 5/8". These are Koni 8805-1004 which is what Koni and others state are the correct shocks.

I am considering finding a steel sleeve to reduce the hole size but the hardware store was closed by the time I notice the difference.

I will call Koni in the AM but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if so what was your solution?

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 09:10 PM   #2

Thaws an old Monaco requirement for having a bigger bushing for better ride insulation.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Thaws an old Monaco requirement for having a bigger bushing for better ride insulation.
Sorry, I do not understand. How would a hole larger than the bolt help? Seems to be the slop would cause a weak link and eventually cause the bolt to snap off.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #4

I guess I misunderstood what you were saying but I know on older Monacos the had bigger top bushings. Are you sure they gave you the correct replacement shock?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I guess their could be a mistake but I looked at multiple sites and the 8805-1004 was what they had listed for a 2003 Monaco Dynasty Roadmaster 10 bag chassis... I believe our coach is a very late 2003 as the Dynasty Countess, as I can't find a Countess listed for 2003. The first Countess I find documented by Monaco is 2004.

Both eyelets have a rubber bushing with a steel bushing inside of that. The bottom eyelet hole ID is 5/8", the top is 3/4". The old Bilstein's have a 5/8" on both eyelets and the eyelets only have a rubber bushing, i.e. no steel inner bushing.

I would just change the top bolt but since they are welded to the frame that would be a major task.

So, a call to Spartan Motors, where I purchased them, and maybe a call to Koni in the morning will solve the mystery! I purchased them via eBay from Spartan as they had the lowest price on Koni's that I could find, which was $131.24 each!!!!

If the shocks are valved for the front then I believe all I need is find a sleeve with the correct ID/OD and I am in business.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #6

Look for a bearing supply company in your area. They normally have lots of bushings. Many are oiled bronze but some steel as well. Maybe they can source the right ones if needed
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I did find some bronze bushings at a hardware store today. They are not a tight fit in the shocks eyelet but a lot better. The ID is too small so I will need to drill them out to fit. However, I called the supplier today and he is in touch with Koni to find out what the suggest. It appears there was a design change done at some point. I will wait until tomorrow and find out what Koni says before I proceed. Since I only have one shock off it won't take long to put it back on if the don't have a quick solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Barber View Post
Look for a bearing supply company in your area. They normally have lots of bushings. Many are oiled bronze but some steel as well. Maybe they can source the right ones if needed

Old 08-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #8

Good hunting, if the supplier comes up empty be sure and take a shock and bolt for size. I have an old piece of conduit in the garage I just measured and it measures pretty darn close to what you need. Ifyou find something like that works just cut off the right lengths. The other thing about oiled bronze is wear. Good in a closed environment but not so long lasting once it gets dirty
Don
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, koni, replace