Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandJan View Post
I should have added in my earlier post - I assume the Scepter has a Cummins ISC 350 engine like my Camelot. I was a little concerned because I was looking for 400HP. With the ISC 350 we cruise just fine and climb hills at a speed that is fine with me. On steep grades, I'm in the right lane with the 18 wheelers and still passing the heavier ones while keeping the RPM in the 1600 range. We get 8.5 MPG consistently in flat country cruising at 65 MPH and below with the genny running and a toad. Mountains will cut it down to around 7+. For us, going from a Bounder which we loved with a Ford V-10, the biggest plus was not having the engine between us wailing away on hills and overpasses.

Just a thought about climbing performance. Your ISC makes it's max power at a higher rpm. For best climbing performance and best cooling, keep your RPMs up closer to 2000. You will have to manually gear down before your speed falls at the bottom of a long grade.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I bought our 2003 Scepter DST 4 years ago, it had 45k on it and now has 66k. I have replaced the CAC and the engine coolant radiators, CAC the first year and the coolant the next. Thank goodness it is a side radiator coach. They had a run on poorly made radiators about that time.
I really like the coach, they are made solid. I do all the maintenance myself,,so far.
It was well taken care of and was stored under cover by previous owner.
I have had other little repairs but nothing I think is out of line.
I to saw the 25k engine replacement price and got a high deductable maint,
plan from Good Sam, you must keep all maint up, just hope I never have to use it.
Good luck, check as much as you can,
John G
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:34 AM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We bit the bullit and we are picking up the Scepter this weekend. We are really excited about it and hope for many happy miles ahead.
Toni
thebrightwayrvs.com
Old 09-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I have an 01 Scepter and it is a well built coach. Very happy with it. It's my 11th coach, 2nd diesel. One advantage to moving up to 2004 from 2003 would be a better fuel delivery system so consider that when pulling the trigger.
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote