Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Dometic Penguin AC Failure and Repair!

Our coach came with 3 Dometic 630515 Heat Pump AC units. When we purchased the coach in 2011 I replaced the fans in all three units due to the fan motors being noise and running rough. The units have performed great since then. We use the coach a lot so the ACs have also been used a lot.

A few weeks ago the front unit would no longer cool, then a week or so after that the middle unit quit cooling. Yesterday I got on the roof and removed both covers to find the EXACT same problem on both, a broken line going to the compressor... The line was broken in the same place on both units. see photo below

A friend of mine is an AC Repair person so I called him to see what he could do. Here is $5.00 worth of parts, $100 worth of R22 Freon, and a couple of hours total repair. MUCH CHEAPER than 2 brand new units!!!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Amazing!

I had always understood that these units were not repairable!

Good work!

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:12 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
Amazing!

I had always understood that these units were not repairable!

Good work!

Jim
You just have to find someone who knows air conditioning that is willing to work on an RV unit that is 12 foot up in the air. My friend is 81 years young and has no problem working on them!

Old 04-08-2015, 06:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Any ideas on what could cause the exact same failure in both units. The tubing broke at an elbow, any chance that the rubber mounts for the compressor ware wore out putting too much stress on this joint.

Thanks for the post, I now know I have options if mine fails like this.

I changed out the blower motor on my front AC last year. They were running loud and it started to kick out the breaker. I had changed the hard start capacitor the year before which helped but I started to have more problems and decided to investigate. I found the front motor bearings almost seized, although I could turn the shaft it was difficult. I also found that the squirrel cage fan was actually hitting the shroud, caused by the rubber mounts on the motor failing. After fix it runs great.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Any ideas on what could cause the exact same failure in both units. The tubing broke at an elbow, any chance that the rubber mounts for the compressor ware wore out putting too much stress on this joint.
That was our initial thought, that the mounts were wore out, but after checking them they were fine. The lines actually broke at a bend, not an elbow. We put the elbow in as it was an easier repair and we used the elbow to add a place to fill the Freon. Both the lines broke at the same exact location of the bend, so my thought is the original bending of the tubing weakened the tubing.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would see this as a defect in material, especially since both broke in the same place. Probably unusual stress at that point and the vibration did it's thing after that long a time. I would send the pics to Dometic and get their reaction to it!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:42 AM   #7

AC Failure and Repair!

I purchased a new central Air Conditioning unit and heating just over two years ago for $5,220.00, and it's not working. It will cost a lot of money for labor, though parts are covered. I have had nothing but problems since the purchase, and I still owe over $3,000.00 on the unit. This equipment should have lasted years without trouble, and no one wants to help me. I am being told that I have to pay to have the coil replaced on the unit and it will be expensive.It is over eighty degrees in my home, and I am extremely depressed over the whole issue.
JhonsonSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:38 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texnet

Great fix! When I purchased my coach nearly two years ago the rear AC wasn't working and the PO thought it had or so he said. I got up on the roof and discovered the same thing but this one had been broke for who knows how long. My friend and I blew the unit out with nitrogen and installed filter dryers and compressor oil and some other magic brew. When we soldered it up and charged it with nitrogen it held tight so we charged it with freon. The compressor wouldn't start, it would trip the breaker and the cost of a new one was nearly as much as a new unit. So we had one more trick, we installed a "Hard Start" kit which is just a big capacitor to help get the compressor going, not harmful at all. It still tripped the breaker. So we went to the last trick, I was on the roof with a Dead Blow plastic hammer and my wife was at the breaker panel. When she closed the breaker I smacked the compressor and on the second try it started and has been working perfectly ever since. It works so well that in the summer at the race track in 106 degree heat my wife and daughter will cover themselves with blankets!
Tomjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:26 AM   #9

That is a great fix. How much R22 did each unit take?
Old 05-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Charge amount

98Dynasty,

I don't remember off the op of my head but there is a data plate in the unit. I also added a few Dometic AC files to this website. Go up to files/HVAC and you should find Duotherm air conditioner service manual. I feel these units are very serviceable but probably not economical if you must pay someone to do the work. We have all of the tools and it's just too simple not to fix. My units are Heat strips and honestly here in CA I only use the furnace and then not too often.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Charge amount

98Dynasty,

I don't remember off the op of my head but there is a data plate in the unit. I also added a few Dometic AC files to this website. Go up to files/HVAC and you should find Duotherm air conditioner service manual. I feel these units are very serviceable but probably not economical if you must pay someone to do the work. We have all of the tools and it's just too simple not to fix. My units are Heat strips and honestly here in CA I only use the furnace and then not too often.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Dynasty View Post
That is a great fix. How much R22 did each unit take?
Specs are 15 oz each, so about 2 lbs. My friend charged me $100.00 for the R22.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomjhall View Post
I was on the roof with a Dead Blow plastic hammer and my wife was at the breaker panel. When she closed the breaker I smacked the compressor and on the second try it started and has been working perfectly ever since.
Love it when old-school technology repairs work!! I have fixed lots of things over the years by smacking it with a hammer!

Old 05-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #14

I am in the air conditioning and I would guess that the breaks were caused by stress when bending the CU at the a/c factory. I guarantee I'd try fixing before buying new. Buying new would be a last resort for me.
rv9apilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, dometic